Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] UK Independence Day 28/29 March 2018

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
No whining then you whine on. We are where we are yet you have no preferences about the best way to navigate to the destination. The good ship Brittania has set a course agreed by the majority .. best you get over it.

Yes but is pretty unbelievable that such a huge subject should have been decided on a simple majority. It should have been something like 75% of those voting !

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Will be a good date for historians to mark as the point at which the UK after nearly 300 years or so ceased to be a serious world power.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes but is pretty unbelievable that such a huge subject should have been decided on a simple majority. It should have been something like 75% of those voting !

Good idea, lets correct this.
For the second referendum lets have a 75% majority of a 75% voter turnout to overturn leaving the EU.......all those in favour say aye!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indubitably, until that decision is overturned by a new decision like the 1975 referendum was overturned by the 2015 one.

So, certain moaners should shut the f**k up until 2055 then. Fair's fair, eh? In the unlikely event that the EU is still going then, we can apply to join again. OK? Now then, what's your problem with that - forty years of your own way followed by forty years of someone else's? Fan of democracy, are you - or a covert supporter of another form of governance?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
oooooh so close.......yet at the same time so far way.
The business community of Grimsby, namely(and mostly) the fishing processing part are seeking to become an international free trade zone/ free trade port, as exists in other countries, something they would not be able to do whilst we are still in the EU as it would conflict with the regulations surrounding state aid.

Nothing like a bit of project deliberatelydonttellthewholetruth

Argue it out with Professor Brian Cox.

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/professor-brian-cox-wades-twitter-745570

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
So, certain moaners should shut the f**k up until 2055 then. Fair's fair, eh? In the unlikely event that the EU is still going then, we can apply to join again. OK? Now then, what's your problem with that - forty years of your own way followed by forty years of someone else's? Fan of democracy, are you - or a covert supporter of another form of governance?

Oh, you mean like the anti- EU lobby has been quite for the last 44 years? And, I repeat, freedom of speech is a necessity of democracy, so, us remoaners are only re-enforcing the rule of the majority. You lot should be glad we're here, seeing as a lot of you only wanted your country back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Democracy where only 17 million out of a population of 63.6 million (those eligible to vote as of December 2015 was 45,766,000) voted to leave.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I see Davis is now banging on about there not being an Irish border. Why can't the EU protect their border like Britain wants to? ****ing stupid hypocrite.

(This is a rhetorical question before anyone wastes their time replying)

I am going to waste my time answering because clearly you didn't listen to what he was actually saying in your rush to support the EU. According to Radio 4 yesterday, what the EU have suggested is a border between NI and the UK mainland - i.e. NI is a defacto EU member. Borderless between Eire and NI. Regardless of what you think of Brexit or DD even you must see what is wrong with the EU creating an artificial border within the UK ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh, you mean like the anti- EU lobby has been quite for the last 44 years? And, I repeat, freedom of speech is a necessity of democracy, so, us remoaners are only re-enforcing the rule of the majority. You lot should be glad we're here, seeing as a lot of you only wanted your country back.

Errmm - perhaps you hadn't noticed, but 'us remoaners' are a minority, by a million or so.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Quick question...all these projects in the uk that are funded by EU and grants, subsidies etc...will,the government pick these up and continue paying to the farmers etc or will that all stop and they will joint the queue with everyone else at this time of shrinking budgets?

Also, I wandered around Aldi in Crawley the other day....most of the products on offer were sourced from Germany. Again when we leave, will the prices in these sort of shops rocket when normal trade tariffs are applied as we will be out of th free trade zone? Applies also to volkskis bmws mercs Peugeot, seat, skodas. Etc

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Quick question...all these projects in the uk that are funded by EU and grants, subsidies etc...will,the government pick these up and continue paying to the farmers etc or will that all stop and they will joint the queue with everyone else at this time of shrinking budgets?

Also, I wandered around Aldi in Crawley the other day....most of the products on offer were sourced from Germany. Again when we leave, will the prices in these sort of shops rocket when normal trade tariffs are applied as we will be out of th free trade zone? Applies also to volkskis bmws mercs Peugeot, seat, skodas. Etc

I am sure that the EU develoment funds which have built so much infrastructure in places like the Welsh valleys will be replaced £ for £ by Westminster....*cough*

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Democracy where only 17 million out of a population of 63.6 million (those eligible to vote as of December 2015 was 45,766,000) voted to leave.
Non voters do not count. Never have. By not voting they tacitly endorse the decision of the majority. That's normal standard democracy. Next question?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

If you want the true answer - Nobody knows

But we have 16 months left to sort all of that out (and anything else you can think of). The fact that we have agreed nothing in the 16 months to date is the reason some people are getting a little concerned, particularly those who have to start any type of business or financial planning for the future. (When i worked for large corporates we used to plan way beyond 16 months).

Or as Ppf puts it (without any sense of irony) tick tock, tick tock

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Indeed. Tick tock, tick tock.............another day nearer to Jeremy Corbyn becoming Prime Minister too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am sure that the EU develoment funds which have built so much infrastructure in places like the Welsh valleys will be replaced £ for £ by Westminster....*cough*

So just where do you think the EU got that money from? Are you seriously unable to understand the concept of 'net contributor'?

Besides, that infrastructure is all nicely in place - do you feel a need to pay for it twice?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here