aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
After all that. I am astonished this deal has been accepted if the dispute truly was about safety. RMT GS Mick Cash will be spitting blood this afternoon

Will be a nice working environment there now, after all the talk ASLEF capitulate at a 28.5% pay deal. Hope all the commuters are pleased when their ticket prices go up in January to pay the drivers inflated salaries

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Will be a nice working environment there now, after all the talk ASLEF capitulate at a 28.5% pay deal. Hope all the commuters are pleased when their ticket prices go up in January to pay the drivers inflated salaries

Used to being shafted by price rises. Least we might get a reasonable service out of it this time.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
This is on the South Western Railways site ;

“RMT Strike

25 October 2017

Dear Passenger

It is with great regret that I am writing to let you know that the RMT Executive has announced its intention to hold strikes on the South Western Railway, on 8 and 9 November. This is hugely disappointing given the positive talks we have been having with local union representatives.

Our discussions have been around the introduction of a new fleet of suburban trains, which will start to arrive in 2019 and be fully introduced by December 2020. These modern trains will transform the travelling experience for many of you, as they will have air-conditioning, toilets, at seat charging facilities and improved Wi-Fi.

These new trains can be operated in a variety of ways and we have been talking to the RMT about which method of operation will be most beneficial in terms of performance and customer service. As part of these discussions we have guaranteed that we will roster a Guard on every train; and that those Guards will continue to be trained in safety procedures.

Our existing longer distance trains, which will all be refurbished during the franchise, are not part of these discussions and will continue to operate in the same way as they do today.

We have also made it clear to the RMT, we are guaranteeing jobs, salaries and the terms and conditions of Guards. In fact, as we expand our fleet and services, we will be creating more jobs.

Earlier this week, following a meeting with our local RMT representatives, we wrote to the RMT General Secretary setting out a framework for the operation of the new suburban fleet which would allow these talks to continue in the joint hope of finding a solution which would not inconvenience you, our passengers.

It is therefore immensely frustrating that, despite this, the RMT Executive chose to ignore this offer and instead involve our employees and you, our passengers, in damaging strike action.

No one wants a strike. I still hope that common sense will prevail and the RMT will come back to the table and work with us to find a way forward. While this would be by far the best outcome for all of us, we cannot rely on this. To this end, we have trained a team of contingency Guards from within our workforce to provide you with the best service possible should these strikes go ahead. I sincerely hope we don’t have to deploy them and that we can persuade the RMT that industrial action is not in anyone’s interests.

Yours sincerely

Andy Mellors,
Managing Director”

In view of this can someone explain why the RMT have called this strike?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Wasn't there a threat that some ASLEF members were going to leave and join the RMT if the vote was to accept?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm sure the railways will run perfectly when 'Il Duce' Cor-Bin takes control.:laugh:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Ticket prices go up EVERY year you DOUGHNUT!

Well done ASLEF. RMT strike as much as you like.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
After all that. I am astonished this deal has been accepted if the dispute truly was about safety. RMT GS Mick Cash will be spitting blood this afternoon

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;

“This shoddy deal, sponsored by Theresa May and Chris Grayling, extends and institutionalises discrimination against disabled and older people. Where once such passengers who required assistance were guaranteed a second member of staff to assist a new clause in this deal deliberately sets out how where there is no on board supervisor the driver will knowingly have to leave such passengers stranded on trains and stations. That is frankly appalling.

“RMT believes that a significant factor in delivering this result was the threat of massive legal costs levied on the union by GTR as a result of the anti-trade union laws. According to the respected industry journal Rail Business Intelligence punishing costs of £250,000 have already been meted out with a further half a million pounds being held back with a final payment to be based on the final terms agreed in any resolution to the dispute. That was a massive financial stick that the Courts had handed over to beat the union and its members with. RMT believes that threat had a decisive impact on this result.

“No one should underestimate the impact of the bundles of cash that were being waved about by the basket-case Southern Rail to swing this vote through, it’s just a scandal that the company won’t make the same financial commitments to keeping a guard on their trains.

“The result changes absolutely nothing in terms of RMT’s campaign for a safe and accessible railway for all.

"On behalf of RMT I repeat the demand that Theresa May and Chris Grayling call off the centrally imposed blockade on serious talks in all of the current rail disputes and allow us to get on with genuine negotiations with their contractors."

“If the Government allows normal industrial relations to recommence it would free the union up to negotiate deals like the ones we have successfully struck in Wales and Scotland that‎ guarantee a guard on the trains. If it's good enough for Scotland and Wales it's good enough for the rest of Britain.”

-------------------------------------------
Not sure why the threat of legal action to a union would mean the members would vote for something they don't believe in?

RMT are now toothless in this battle and I can't see what more they can do from here, they have lost and their union brothers have hung them out to dry.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So going by the vote to day the action was never about safety but about the pay rise that they wanted and have got. The original suggestions of 1 man operated trains still stays.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It will all be for nothing , as soon as this incompetent rabble 'running' this country are ousted then the railways will be nationalised and DOO will be gone forever

Do you not watch the news ???

I'm not sure anyone is questioning the weak position of the current government, and at the next election they'll probably lose... but bearing in mind Corbyn's implicit support of Brexit, how will any future Govt pay for the re-nationalisation of the railways?

Edit to add: Mentioned Brexit as this will make it hard to raise any extra tax revenue for some time.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;

“...No one should underestimate the impact of the bundles of cash that were being waved about by the basket-case Southern Rail to swing this vote through, it’s just a scandal that the company won’t make the same financial commitments to keeping a guard on their trains.

so it was about the money for the RMT too?

legal cost seems a odd ruse, as i dont believe the members would be aware of them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I got criticised when this first started for suggesting it was money motivated, turns out I was right. Amazing how ‘principles’ go out the window when big pay rises are on offer.

RMT members must be annoyed their union cost them pay bonuses when they were on offer ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
but bearing in mind Corbyn's implicit support of Brexit, how will any future Govt pay for the re

Edit to add: Mentioned Brexit as this will make it hard to raise any extra tax revenue for some time.

Do you work for the BBC? Just mentioning Brexit in every single context even if it has nothing to do with the issue!

Ps) train up to victoria was fine, now on train on way back, fingers crossed will be all fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here