Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rampion Wind Farm

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am planning to paddle board there in the spring (with food, refreshments, radio, flares, life jacket etc.). On a nice day should be an amazing trip.

Edit: with other paddle boarders (not alone)

This is a true NSC post. You have to qualify what you are doing, the safety precautions etc. as you know you'll login to 20 notifications otherwise!

Good luck with the trip, sounds like fun, but hard work I reckon.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tidal is much better and doesn't look shyte.

Tidal is a good idea too, as is a wind farm which also, in my view, doesn't look shyte.

yep I'm amazed that as an island nation we haven't spent more time and money in tidal energy projects.

At the moment, tidal energy technology requires significant tidal movement for an efficient power return. We do have 8 sites around the UK, such as the Severn and Humber estuaries, but they are positioned in these locations where you get that significant tidal surge and movement.

If you want to spend more time developing tidal solutions, and other renewables for that matter, the question could then be asked why we subsidise the fossil fuel industry to the tune £60bn in tax breaks for companies like Shell to continue to operate unprofitable oil platforms in the North Sea, when the entire renewable sector as a whole doesn't get even half this. It is hardly an equitable approach to our energy strategy, and will probably only change when MP's trust funds are linked into the renewable sector markets.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Offshore Layout.jpg

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A total blight on the (what was) fantastic view from the seafront. Ruddy ugly things that actually are negligible in the 'green' label taking into account the amount of destruction to the wildlife, sealife and environment in their production, installation and operation.

Yet another example of ridiculous bureaucracy without any common sense.

When you consider the areas (in red) that are licensed to dredge the sea bed for marine aggregates (Roy Grace anyone?), you do realise that the impact of the cable trench and the individual foundations for each wind turbine are as to be insignificant to the impact to the sea bed compared to the impact of the dredging contracts. In fact, the environmental studies (carried out but various agencies) said that once complete, the wind turbine bases under water will actually enhance and provide new habitats for marine life.

aggregate_landing2.gif

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
At the moment, tidal energy technology requires significant tidal movement for an efficient power return. We do have 8 sites around the UK, such as the Severn and Humber estuaries, but they are positioned in these locations where you get that significant tidal surge and movement.

If you want to spend more time developing tidal solutions, and other renewables for that matter, the question could then be asked why we subsidise the fossil fuel industry to the tune £60bn in tax breaks for companies like Shell to continue to operate unprofitable oil platforms in the North Sea, when the entire renewable sector as a whole doesn't get even half this. It is hardly an equitable approach to our energy strategy, and will probably only change when MP's trust funds are linked into the renewable sector markets.

Yes. This.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Great pix, who was the charter with?

Some bloke who was a friend of a friend who has his own boat he uses when he goes diving.

He'll charter it out but it's dependent on three things mostly - his availability (it's only his hobby), your availability and of course the weather. We were due to go out a couple of weeks last Saturday - but then Storm Brian turned up. "If we'd have gone out in that, the RNLI would have been seriously pissed off with us...".

Also kind of ironic that you can't visit a wind farm when it's windy.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tidal is still being developed for energy production, and is currently very expensive. As the technology improves, so the costs will come down.

As was widely reported, new wind energy projects will produce electricity at 60% of the cost of new nuclear projects.

Slightly off topic but am interest8ng episode of File on Four this week covering part of the ‘Nuclear’ debate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09byv6k

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As was widely reported, new wind energy projects will produce electricity at 60% of the cost of new nuclear projects.
Would that be wind projects on land? Because I'd guess it cost a lot more to build these at sea, the maintenance costs will be a lot higher, and the life expectancy of the turbines will be a lot lower.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Would that be wind projects on land? Because I'd guess it cost a lot more to build these at sea, the maintenance costs will be a lot higher, and the life expectancy of the turbines will be a lot lower.

No. There is a UK-wide moratorium on on-shore wind turbines, so tenders aren't being sought.

Meanwhile, here is the story about cheaper electricity production from wind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41220948

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No. There is a UK-wide moratorium on on-shore wind turbines, so tenders aren't being sought.

Meanwhile, here is the story about cheaper electricity production from wind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41220948

the trouble is whether or not the support costs are being counted. i dont know about those numbers, but often they ignore the cost of standby capacity for when the wind doesn't blow (or blows too hard, so they stop them turning to protect gearboxes). that can be considerably expensive as it has to cover a permanent cost base for power not being generated. we end up paying contracts for two power supplies but only using one. things have improved in recent years but theres still some hidden costs.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
the trouble is whether or not the support costs are being counted. i dont know about those numbers, but often they ignore the cost of standby capacity for when the wind doesn't blow (or blows too hard, so they stop them turning to protect gearboxes). that can be considerably expensive as it has to cover a permanent cost base for power not being generated. we end up paying contracts for two power supplies but only using one. things have improved in recent years but theres still some hidden costs.

It needs a 9mph wind (F2-3 on the old Beaufort Scale) to see them operational. Today would still see them turn, even though it's fairly calm.

As for 'blows too hard', that speed is rarely reached in that location (90mph) - once or twice in my lifetime, maybe. Put it this way, they would have been operational in Storm Brian a couple of weeks ago.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here