Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread for the people of Aleppo

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What can NSC'rs do about it?

The rebels have insisted that they won't enter peace talks until Assad steps down and hands over his military to them. They have also insisted that they don't want the Kurds to be part of the solution. After 5 years of war the opposition haven't spent a one second of time to draw up a new proposed constitution to even negotiate with.

The Syrian government was a secular one and the Prime Minister was a Sunni but joined his brother on the rebels side to become the leader of the opposition.

If the Syrian government fell all the military hardware would end up in the hands of Daesh before the so called moderate groups got their hands on them.

I said I have sorrow for Aleppans. That needs to be accepted.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Why not respond properly ? Back up your obvious disagreement with something other than emojis or people might start to think you can't.

The amount of beatings you've taken from me I admire your effort. Forget this and think of DEAD people with respect.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Why not respond properly ? Back up your obvious disagreement with something other than emojis or people might start to think you can't.

The amount of beatings you've taken from me I admire your effort. Forget this and think of DEAD people with respect.
Ah, you can't :thumbsup: what's your next tactic , trying to put it on me by proxy again ?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
"We're learning price of not intervening"

Watching the news today of families under siege and, by all accounts, being slaughtered, I felt that I wanted to offer my personal sadness that we in the west have not been able to find a way to prevent or stop this. I guess I could never have supported sending our troops in to keep these murderers apart and maybe this was the prevailing view and so we have arrived at today's carnage.

Sorry Aleppo, for what that's worth.

Anyone?

We were understandably hesitant after previous failed interventions and I have no idea what the best course of action would have been but not intervening also has tragic consequences.

Also haven't read much condemnation of the Syrian regime .. Russia, Iran etc in this thread. Apparently, even when we don't directly intervene it's 'our fault'.

:facepalm:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ah, you can't :thumbsup: what's your next tactic , trying to put it on me by proxy again ?

I have consistently been perturbed by the deaths in Syria a country I was welcomed in 20 years ago. Syrian wers close to my heart, despite Assad seniors rule. I am very sad about what has happened there.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The rebels also embedded themselves within the civilian population of Allepo. Theres a lot of wrongs. Assads a ****, but so are the people he is fighting. Its horrible.

Before this all started Assad was pro reform but most importantly he was secular. The whole Middle East and Muslim countries are historically brutal and it's hard to change this type of system overnight. All of a sudden his army was attacked on all fronts from many factions and ISIS and they lost 60,000 troops in the first couple of years. Any Syrian soldier caught would be traded, tortured and beheaded.

The 2011 Bahrain protest that were really peaceful ended up with 81 dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Bahraini_uprising_of_2011_and_its_aftermath

We never really heard much about this because the US has a base there and are in bed with the Sunni Bahrain Royals.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure we get many visitors from Aleppo. Just checked. Of the last 35,518,658 sessions on NSC, a mere 313 have been from Syria.

That puts Syria in 140th place in terms of countries accessing NSC, behind the likes of Fiji and Malawi, but just ahead of Palestine, Ethopia and Mongolia.

In last place, and these countries (or whatever the hell they are) really should put more of an effort in, are Mayotte, Vatican City, Palau, North Korea, Eritrea and Guinea-Bissau.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

We were understandably hesitant after previous failed interventions and I have no idea what the best course of action would have been but not intervening also has tragic consequences.

Also haven't read much condemnation of the Syrian regime .. Russia, Iran etc in this thread. Apparently, even when we don't directly intervene it's 'our fault'.

:facepalm:

It's hard to intervene if one is part of the plot to destabilise a country and topple the government in the first place. We are party to supporting and militarising foreign fighters in Syria yet we pretend that we haven’t intervened when we blatantly have.

If intervening now or before means air striking the Syrian government and its army then we might as well hand over Syria to the Islamic State.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Slightly OT as the people I refer to didn't come from Aleppo but they had fled Syria.

We're in Malaysia at the moment and no this is not a look at me I'm somewhere far away etc type answer but has massive relevance.

We had just toured the Petronas towers in KL after which there happens to be a water fountain light show in the gardens outside.

We took our place on the boardwalk to watch alongside a Muslim woman and shared pleasantries about being annoyed by the Chinese tourists standing in the way to get the obligatory selfie.

As the show progressed it was clear the woman just wanted to chat to someone, anyone.

My wife is the kind caring kind who will engage anyone and very quickly we had established that the woman knew very little English but was waiting for her husband and son to come back from the bathroom and he spoke better English.

He arrived along with their 18 month old boy and he explained that they were Syrian and had left their lives, families - who they were very unlikely to see ever again because of the troubles.

He is an Engineer by trade and his wife was a teacher but now mother to their son.

He took the decision to take them out of the country before the damage spread to his town. He chose Malaysia as other than some unsavoury countries such as N Korea it is one of the few countries where they can travel without a visa for up to 3 months.

He has been looking for work but without a chance of securing a working visa he has had no luck so far. He was so fearful of the situation at home that he cannot even post on facebook if he finds work as if the government find out and he returned to the country when trouble subsides they will punish him.

They were very afraid of where to go next, they had enough money to survive in Malaysia for the two months but then they were not sure what to do next.

They offered us water, juice and chocolates they had and when we eventually left having listened to them and talked to them we wanted to do more to help but realised their was little we could do.

Their son was adorable, innocent and cheeky as any 18 month old would be and we offered them 20RM so they could keep him in chocolate for a few days but they wouldn't accept, they were too proud to.

They just wanted someone to talk to in their time of need. Wish there was more we could all do.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Saw this earlier on , found it interesting

That is very interesting, I wonder if there is a rebuttal anywhere to these points. Is our information of what is going on in Syria really based on so little evidence?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This thread has gone well hasn't it?
NSC at it's absolute worst.

Just reading the thread title was enough to know who'd be quickly hijacking it with their own agendas.

Needs to be moved to The Other Stuff sadly, as the intended humanity will be replaced by offensiveness soon enough :nono:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
That is very interesting, I wonder if there is a rebuttal anywhere to these points. Is our information of what is going on in Syria really based on so little evidence?

Frightening if it is, I was Astonished to be honest.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
NSC at it's absolute worst.

Just reading the thread title was enough to know who'd be quickly hijacking it with their own agendas.

Needs to be moved to The Other Stuff sadly, as the intended humanity will be replaced by offensiveness soon enough :nono:

Whenever i see the phrase... 'with their own agenda's', I immediately assume the poster has an 'agenda'.
Especially when its their first post on the thread.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whenever i see the phrase... 'with their own agenda's', I immediately assume the poster has an 'agenda'.
Especially when its their first post on the thread.
Yes, I do have an agenda that can be summed up very succinctly. But I won't hijack this well intentioned thread with it.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yes, I do have an agenda that can be summed up very succinctly. But I won't hijack this well intentioned thread with it.

.. and the good intentions of the thread is?

Nobody likes to see civilians killed, from either side. Its a fact of life/death in civil wars. Always has been, always will be.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
.. and the good intentions of the thread is?

Nobody likes to see civilians killed, from either side. Its a fact of life/death in civil wars. Always has been, always will be.
I thought the thread intention was clear? I can't put it better than the original post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here