Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guiseley v Braintree controversy

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Another video, from the crowd, with interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCrUEqThTh0

People saying that the keeper made no effort seem to be ignoring the fact that the ball sailed at pace high over his head. He had no chance.

Deliberate shot, definitely, in my opinion. And it goes against every moral code that the players and teams have developed over the years, a code that had to be made because the laws were so absolute.

No, the players should not referee the game, but until they change the rules, common decency means that sometimes you have to kick the ball out. Shame on Guiseley for taking advantage so brazenly.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The only way to compensate for this happening is if a ball is kicked out for an injury, give it as a goal kick to the opposition because it is the norm to give it to the goalkeeper anyway.

Clearly deliberate because he celebrated it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And it goes against every moral code that the players and teams have developed over the years, a code that had to be made because the laws were so absolute.
A moral code that has developed because the referees had difficulty in judge who was actually injured and who was cheating, sorry I mean simulating.

How many serious injuries have there been at the AMEX this season?
How many times has the ball been kicked out of play?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no player who suffered a serious injury and had to be substituted was delayed by the ref not blowing for the incident.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
A moral code that has developed because the referees had difficulty in judge who was actually injured and who was cheating, sorry I mean simulating.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no player who suffered a serious injury and had to be substituted was delayed by the ref not blowing for the incident.
Time for the rugby solution. Let the physio on during play.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Well, I can't remember if you're right or not.

SSo I'm going to say you're wrong.

:)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

:lolol:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
In the second video the interview with the Braintree manager is excellent. His comments are spot on.
Guiseley's fans arrogrant chanting reminded me of the saying "You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but not a lot".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well they are only semi-professional footballers, so some of them may be in the occupations that you mention!
Hardly, we all know semi-professional footballers are only hod carriers, postmen or forklift truck drivers.

IT'S THE LAW.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Typical Yorkshire team , arrogant , think they can do what they want , and are never wrong , can't stand them !

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Guiseley manager doesn't come across well there. He claims to have watched the dvd and come up with the view the keeper didn't make an attempt.

Poor from the club there I feel. But if the manager goes beyond 'i didn't see the incident' then he needs to be spot on and not as wrong as he was

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Time for the rugby solution. Let the physio on during play.

Makes sense but sadly Rugby players only stay down if genuinely hurt atm. (It's changing since it went professional) Footballers cheat constantly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm pretty sure that when I first started watching the Albion (late 1980s), it was comparatively rare for the ball to be put out of play because of an injury to a player. I remember, because it was considered worthy of applause on the occasions when it did happen. Players would limp around if they got a knock, or hop off the touchline, until the next break in play. If one of them stayed down, it was usually because there was a genuinely serious injury.

Now, barely a game goes by without the ball being knocked out due to a player's apparent agony. It's all very sporting and noble, but you know damn well that 99 times out of a hundred, the injury is nothing more than a slight knock, upon which the physio's presence will have absolutely zero impact in any case. At least part of the issue now is that modern players make so much of every knock, every foul, or perceived foul, or even perfectly decent tackles that they're trying to con the officials over, that the poor referees have no chance of knowing whether it's nothing, or a broken leg. Players go down, the other team tentatively plays on, as though unsure of the etiquette, the crowd howls (if it's their player down) or boos (if it's the opposition), and eventually the team with the ball are shamed into putting it out. It happened at Bristol City on Tuesday.

The referee has the jurisdiction to stop a game at any time if he feels an injury is such that a player needs urgent attention (they generally do so automatically in the case of a head injury). Why not go back to letting the officials decide when to stop play? I'm not sure how you go about enforcing this, as players can put the ball out whenever they like, and it's at their opponents' discretion as to whether to return it. But it needs to happen. Too many times now, the game is spoilt, almost inevitably by the side winning by a narrow margin near the end of a match, by somebody going down at a convenient moment when his opponent has the ball in an advantageous position, and demanding the game to be stopped. Something that was once about good sportsmanship is these days being abused by cynical footballers, and has turned into yet another means of cheating opponents.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Call me old fashioned, maybe unsporting but, if an opponent goes down apparently injured, I expect my team to press home the temporary numerical advantage rather than kick the ball out. Reason is you just don't know nowadays how much the opponent is hamming it up. But if the practice of putting the ball out stops, then I bet the number of players staying down will diminish too and overall improve the game. How do you stop it? Just make putting the ball out deliberately a bookable offence as play should be continuous.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here