Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peregrine falcon seen at the Amex

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
You may want to google Puffin Island.

Nearest puffin breeding site to Brighton is at Portland, Dorset. Should be returning to their cliff top burrows April/May time. Can be viewed easily. If in doubt about exactly where to view them ask at Portland Bird Obs. situated at the Lower [old] Lighthouse.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
It's back :) WSU again.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm not checking but by memory they have been clocked at 230 mph in a dive

now I'm going to check

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think I can, Kestrels are pretty damn cool, if you want us to name UK birds of prey we have a limited choice, one could possibly say a Golden Eagle, which is completely different to the reprobates up the road native American Bald Eagle.

For me the Peregrine is The ultimate airborne hunter native to our shores, possibly in the world.

I've flown Lanner falcons on the lure and rabbited with Harris Hawks, both mighty birds and an experience I will never forget but the Peregrine is still my top bird.

Great to have one at the Amex, even though I find it strange it could settle or best there as it isn't a typical nesting site for them. They're more used to cliffs and high ledges...

I have to say, Hen Harrier in flight across the moors of Mull was pretty special and trumped both the Golden and the Peregrine for me

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
checked, National Geographic have 242mph ..............

(I set a fundraising quiz for the RSPB a coupe of times a year)

and yes, that certainly looks like Falco perigrinus (one of the easier names to remember)

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
checked, National Geographic have 242mph ..............

(I set a fundraising quiz for the RSPB a coupe of times a year)

and yes, that certainly looks like Falco perigrinus (one of the easier names to remember)

Buteo buteo is an easier one aka the Buzzard. And an interesting fact is that the game Subbuteo is the Latin name for another native bird of prey called the Hobby, which is what the inventor of Subbuteo originally wanted to call the game but couldn't due to copyright so named it Subbuteo instead!

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
One spotted at Man City as well

pellegrini.jpg

TNBA

TTF

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Was that it flying around while Crofts was getting treatment?

Yes it was, a lot of people confused it with a pigeon. It's definitely a Peregrine, it still has the brown feathers on the upper wings so it's only an immature one. Most likely an offspring of the RSCH pair.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I saw it too. Perhaps it likes peace and quiet.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have to say, Hen Harrier in flight across the moors of Mull was pretty special and trumped both the Golden and the Peregrine for me

Is that just because Harriers are rarer? Can't see a harrier being more majestic in flight than a Golden Eagle soaring or Peregrine in stoop.....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Is that just because Harriers are rarer? Can't see a harrier being more majestic in flight than a Golden Eagle soaring or Peregrine in stoop.....

Haven't seen a peregrine in stoop. I think I just liked the way it was flying so close to the ground, rolling over the moor towards us. It was a good day. Mull is special, must go back.

Jameson

Thanks for posting this; I saw it too, right above me in WSL, I watched it fly in and settle in the west stand roof. This is only the third time I've seen a wild one so quite a treat.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
had a pair of Buzzards circling over my folks house in Ringmer yesterday....now they are awesome. Often get a sparrowhawk screeching in the woods in the rockery

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
There are 2 Peregrine Falcons which sit on the south facing Lloyd's bank sign on the old Lloyds Bank by Durrington station. They are there several times a week, magnificent birds.

And yes I saw the one yesterday fly in and perch on the rafters of the wsu.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here