Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stoke, Southampton, Swansea & Huddersfield. Remaining Fixtures.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think we're safe, not because Southampton won't get the points, but because I don't see Huddersfield getting any more.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Is that true? No English officials going to the WC. That is a really sad indirement of the premier league if correct.

The list of referees was drawn up in Summer 2016 and the refs on the list have been getting special training. When Clattenberg left for Saudi, the FA asked to replace him but were told that it was too late. So it's not to do with the ability of English refs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The list of referees was drawn up in Summer 2016 and the refs on the list have been getting special training. When Clattenberg left for Saudi, the FA asked to replace him but were told that it was too late. So it's not to do with the ability of English refs.

It kind of is though....struggling to think of one that's good enough........

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I think we're safe, not because Southampton won't get the points, but because I don't see Huddersfield getting any more.

Still convinced Huddersfield will beat Arsenal at home.

Last game of the season at home to stay up, place will be rocking. Arsenal are dire on the road at the moment, and although I get the sentiment of Wenger's last ever game, I just don't think *THIS* Arsenal team have the character.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick

Last game of the season at home to stay up, place will be rocking. Arsenal are dire on the road at the moment, and although I get the sentiment of Wenger's last ever game, I just don't think *THIS* Arsenal team have the character.

They actually played quite well at United and were unlucky to lose in the end. Think Huddersfield are doomed.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

The funny thing about this league, strange results come out of nowhere. Anyone can beat anyone on the day. On paper it looks like Huddersfield won't get another point - unfortunately they don't play on paper.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is anyone ruling out West Brom taking their fight to the final day? For that to happen, they have to beat Spurs at home, and hope Stoke fail to beat the Nigels, Swansea lose at Bournemouth, Southampton lose at Everton and then those two teams draw against each other the following Tuesday.

All very plausible but unlikely. Assuming Huddersfield lose away against Man City and Chelsea, and Stoke draw against Palace rather than win, then it could leave the final day looking like this:

Hudds 35 -31
Swans 34 -25
Soton 33 -20
WBA 31 -23
Stoke 31 -33

Swansea v Stoke
Palace v WBA
Soton v Man City

Suddenly, WBA would have a real chance of escape.

BTW, I don't see any of that playing out. I think Stoke will get smashed by the Nigels and then comfortably beaten at Swansea too. Southampton will win at Swansea before that though, and West Brom will go down with Stoke and one of Huddersfield or Southampton depending on which of them picks up an unexpected point (at home to Arsenal, away to Everton) with Huddersfield going down on GD if those outcomes are matched.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
They actually played quite well at United and were unlucky to lose in the end. Think Huddersfield are doomed.

Agreed, but I think United were pretty lethargic (I know, they still won). United seemed to approach it like a nothing game, which it kind of was.

I just personally fancy Huddersfield to get something last game of the season.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I thought that when they played Everton. Everton safe but not a happy ship; it was tailor-made I thought for a typical Huddersfield 'up-and-at-em' performance that would blow a semi-disinterested Everton away. Didn't happen.

Anyway, we are 100% nailed-on safe even if we don't get another point. There's only one place left and in order for us to fill it Southampton AND West Ham AND Huddersfield AND Swansea have all got to hit some 'West Brom' form. Not just one or two of them - all four of them. Ain't gonna happen.

larus

I thought that when they played Everton. Everton safe but not a happy ship; it was tailor-made I thought for a typical Huddersfield 'up-and-at-em' performance that would blow a semi-disinterested Everton away. Didn't happen.

Anyway, we are 100% nailed-on safe even if we don't get another point. There's only one place left and in order for us to fill it Southampton AND West Ham AND Huddersfield AND Swansea have all got to hit some 'West Brom' form. Not just one or two of them - all four of them. Ain't gonna happen.

I don't think they all need to hit great form though.

Let's assume we lost all 3 games, and concede say 10 goals (not unthinkable away at Man C, Liverpool and home to Man U). Then our final position would be 37 points -25 GD.

West Ham would be above us with 1 win (away at Leicester or home to Everton).
Huddersfield would be above us with 1 win (Arsenal at home).
Swansea would be above us with a win v Stoke and a draw at Bournemouth (assuming that they lose by less than they win by).
Southampton beat Swansea (see above) having already beaten Everton A.

So, the only major upturn there is Southampton winning at Everton then v Swansea.

As it happens, I think we're safe as I can't see all of the results going against us.

The key game I feel is Saints/Swans. As Saints will very likely lose to Man C, they need 6 points from the other 2 games, so they have to win that one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But they don't have to hit 'West Brom' form though do they, West Ham and Huddersfield and Swansea only need to win one of their last 3. Southampton need 2 wins though, so it's tough for them.

Still pretty unlikely all that will happen of course.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Stoke, Southampton, Swansea & Huddersfield. Remaining Fixtures.

But they don't have to hit 'West Brom' form though do they, West Ham and Huddersfield and Swansea only need to win one of their last 3. Southampton need 2 wins though, so it's tough for them.

Still pretty unlikely all that will happen of course.

Swansea are 4 points behind, so would also need to win one draw one and hope our goal difference takes a big hit. So even if they win lose and draw they still need to improve their GD

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I really don't want us to be involved on the last day as can see Hudds beating Arsenal (possibly Arsenal reserves if they get through in Europa) and surely Swansea would have picked up some points in their next 2 games, as will Saints. I just want it done, finished etc - and I feel a point on Friday would do that as we'd only need Hudds to lose away to MCity and Chelsea (not certain, but probable).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think they all need to hit great form though.

Let's assume we lost all 3 games, and concede say 10 goals (not unthinkable away at Man C, Liverpool and home to Man U). Then our final position would be 37 points -25 GD.

West Ham would be above us with 1 win (away at Leicester or home to Everton).
Huddersfield would be above us with 1 win (Arsenal at home).

Exactly. Only two of the four teams below us have to go on any sort of run - the other two teams merely have to win one match. You can't explain that to some people though - even though we now have a very good chance of staying up, mathematically we are not there yet.
Us getting relegated from where we are now is indeed unlikely - but until there are three teams that can't catch us, it could still happen; things do sometimes happen in football that defy all odds - and all those celebrating now could end up looking as daft as Reading fans on the last day of the 2013-2014 season.........
I wonder if they're the same people who celebrated us winning the Championship last year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here