Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber Program Notes Today

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Good stuff: whilst he's often criticised here, this time he's been clear. My only criticism is that instead of waiting until now he might have said some or all of this earlier, when everyone was stunned with the outward movement of top players, especially Ulloa. He must be beginning to dread the close season when it comes round each year. Oh, and well done with the ice bucket!
Why do people keep saying "everyone", when they mean "a minority of people"? It's quite frustrating.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why do people keep saying "everyone", when they mean "a minority of people"? It's quite frustrating.

Nail, head

There was a small very posting prolific minority who were venting their spleen over this, the majority took a more level-headed view.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Intelligent programme notes from an intelligent man who, as a trusted aide of the Chairman, clearly has the best interests of the club at heart. The booing at half time was embarrassing.

That booing was just odd. I genuinely can't think of one valid reason to boo Paul Barber. He seems an amenable bloke who responds to the fans and clearly knows how to run a club. Has to make some difficult decisions but that's part of his job - not some personal anti-Albion fan vendetta. I doubt if he's too worried about being liked, but it's a shame he's not.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Nail, head

There was a small very posting prolific minority who were venting their spleen over this, the majority took a more level-headed view.

I don't agree, I'm afraid. I'd say the split was about 50/50. Can't remember if there was a poll into this or not, but we 'lickers' were very much outmatched and outgunned in the posting department for a good few weeks. Mainly, I think, because a lot of the sane element were either on holiday or taking a break.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Same people think it should've been spunked mid July on the over inflated transfer fee and wages of an average player rather than waiting until someone decent is available for the same cost.

The same people often bang on about if a player wants to go get rid soon as. Perhaps if TB/PB had done that with Ulloa, he would have gone on the first offer and we would be out of pocket by several million pounds!

I'm not sure about any of that. Some (not me by the way) have been frustrated by the seemingly "sluggish" approach that we've taken but I've not seen anything that backs up your statement. But it's a good way of picking up on the general sentiment of the thread and knowing you're on safe ground

Really don't get the "have a go at other supporters stuff" without having anything objective

Perhaps the 'have a go at other supporters stuff' is due to the fact that some of those 'other supporters' have spent most of the summer slagging off the club just because they haven't spunked a load of money on the first player we're linked to and their constant whining! They don't like the way the club conduct business behind closed doors. Others have a little more faith that the management are working for the best interests of the club, both in the short and long term. They won't always get the players they or we want but that's life. Who had heard of Ulloa before we signed him. The same with Vicente, some may have heard off him but would never dream he would sign for us, which he did on the 2nd September, two days after the window closed.

Furthermore, some of the comments about the recruitment team border on vitriolic and Barber is right about people hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Perhaps the 'have a go at other supporters stuff' is due to the fact that some of those 'other supporters' have spent most of the summer slagging off the club just because they haven't spunked a load of money on the first player we're linked to and their constant whining! They don't like the way the club conduct business behind closed doors. Others have a little more faith that the management are working for the best interests of the club, both in the short and long term. They won't always get the players they or we want but that's life. Who had heard of Ulloa before we signed him. The same with Vicente, some may have heard off him but would never dream he would sign for us, which he did on the 2nd September, two days after the window closed.

Furthermore, some of the comments about the recruitment team border on vitriolic and Barber is right about people hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

I don't disagree that there are a few, but a very small minority. The context of the post (as I've seen in a few others) is that if there is a different point of view then all of a sudden you are labelled as some half wit that has totally unrealistic expectations and knows the square root of feck all

Yes, there are a few goons and they're best ignored IMO. A fair amount of the argument and counter argument is fairly constructive otherwise.

It's Sunday and I'm feeling conciliatory

As for anonymity maybe [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] should name these idiots rather than suggesting it applies to everyone that has a different point of view. Then he can have his very own virtual punch up :thumbsup:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Wow looks like Mr Barber has suddenly turned into Mr Wonderful on here !!!
A few weeks ago he was being slated by absolutely everyone.
Oh how peoples opinions suddenly change overnight:thumbsup:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Weird isn't it. Brought in at great expense to reduce costs. Debts increase yet he is doing a great job? latest results may demonstrate he's getting to grips but previous results suggest the opposite. Many on here just follow the view of the chosen ones.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

I think you'll find that was David Burke. Barber's been ok since Gus left.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
Weird isn't it. Brought in at great expense to reduce costs. Debts increase yet he is doing a great job? latest results may demonstrate he's getting to grips but previous results suggest the opposite. Many on here just follow the view of the chosen ones.

Sir you are correct !!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I find the whole Barber program notes thing a bit cringe to be honest. A supporter has every right to voice an opinion regardless of it being positive or negative, football fans are fickle creatures always have been and always will be. For the club to actually be offended by a minority and feel the need to answer to the minority in the match day programme I find very strange.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I find the whole Barber program notes thing a bit cringe to be honest. A supporter has every right to voice an opinion regardless of it being positive or negative, football fans are fickle creatures always have been and always will be. For the club to actually be offended by a minority and feel the need to answer to the minority in the match day programme I find very strange.

So you won't be buying Paul Barber's Collection of Essays at the end of the season?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I think it was a very small minority who just posted the same crap all the time.

Very much this. The vast majority of the c. 23000 Amex regulars will not not ever have viewed NSC. The vast majority of NSC members do not post the ridiculous and sometimes venomous crap about The Club, it's Chairman and Staff.The same goes for some of the similar inclined trolls on the Argus site. These people should be embarrassed but probably don't have the social skills to understand their own inadequacies and the fact that the balance of the 23000 find them simply embarrassing.

NSC and social media is a brilliant forum for an exchange of views and the passion of football fans is always going to mean that not only are the views diverse but they a very often posted with the same passion. But a few people cross the line, which neither serves the majority of fans or the Club well.

So well done PB for saying what needed to be said. Will the trolls listen? Sadly rather unlikely.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I would say the people who either back him or have no problem with him just kept quiet, so the only posts were negative. Doesn't mean everyone was against him.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Which is fine and I, of course, understand.

Of course, your post is put speculation.

You are speculating that we are going to sign a quality replacement for our best striker, Ulloa. If we do sign it, then your speculation will be correct. If we sign someone else, as you rightly point out, on the cheap and he is not in Ulloa's calibre then you'll recognise that the transfer window was not successful, presumably. Or would it be the manager or team's fault?

So, do you still think COG is the replacing for Ulloa?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
This is such an amusing thread.

A week ago, everyone was slagging the clubs transfer dealings and questioning Bloom Barber & Burke.

Now we have one person saying this and he's getting flamed.

If we lose at home next weekend will the pendulum swing the other way again?
To be fair, prior to the signing of Holla, Bennett, Colunga and Teixera the cupboard was looking a little bare. Its no surprise that fans were concerned that players were slow to be recruited especially after a poor couple of results.

New players, some good results and decent entertainment and boom we're all (well most of us) feeling a bit better about things.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think the last published results included a fair bit of front loading to help us when the FFP penalties came into force.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here