Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports mad!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Are we the most sports mad nation in the World? I'm curious after seeing the amount of people at the World Athletics.
Our top division in football sells out most games, and all our lower divisions, attract pretty good numbers compared to other countries.
Most Test matches are very nearly sold out, I know County cricket struggles a bit, but one day and Twenty/20, are well attended.
Rugby, I'm not a fan, but it appears from the outside to be popular, and ,again ,test matches all seem to sell well.
F1 is hugely popular here as well, and I'm sure others on this board can come up with a lot more examples.
Do other countries support all sports the way we do? The Americans don't appear to back as wide a variety as we do, neither do the Germans or French.
So, are we the most sport daft nation in the World?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
North America more so in my opinion.
Football
Baseball
Basketball
Hockey
Even proper football in NA is fairly well attended.

And that's just the Pro sports.
College sports are huge too.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Other European countries have a load of weird professionally played stuff that attracts decent crowds - bicycle football, indoor five a side football leagues, plus all the snow and ice related sports that aren't readily viable in our climate. The USA has/had Jai Alai, originally a Spanish basque sport, along with the usual suspects. It's difficult to quantify. Arguably the majority of sports fans in this country don't care for F1, rugby, cricket etc.....

Agree that USA tops any list.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tour-de-France-2014-Yorkshire-peloton-crowds-pic-SWPix-Welcome-to-Yorkshire.jpg

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Im talking about the range of sports we sell out, Moto GP, Golf, Tennis, the bigger swimming events, various running events, marathons, 10 Ks, half marathons, Boxing, Rugby League, cycling,darts(debatable,I know) snooker, non -league football, it just seems we are more enthusiastic, when our lack of success in some, and the high cost of most events, are taken into account.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Im talking about the range of sports we sell out, Moto GP, Golf, Tennis, the bigger swimming events, various running events, marathons, 10 Ks, half marathons, Boxing, Rugby League, cycling,darts(debatable,I know) snooker, non -league football, it just seems we are more enthusiastic, when our lack of success in some, and the high cost of most events, are taken into account.

Still North America.

Have you been to many live US/NA games/sports?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Still North America.

Have you been to many live US/NA games/sports?

Been to none, to tell the truth. My thread was a question, so, I'm not really saying we're definitely the most sports mad. I just wonder if, after population size, cost, is taken into account, we get more spectators than other nations.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

With you on this. North America isn't even close

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are we the most sports mad nation in the World? I'm curious after seeing the amount of people at the World Athletics.
Our top division in football sells out most games, and all our lower divisions, attract pretty good numbers compared to other countries.
Most Test matches are very nearly sold out, I know County cricket struggles a bit, but one day and Twenty/20, are well attended.
Rugby, I'm not a fan, but it appears from the outside to be popular, and ,again ,test matches all seem to sell well.
F1 is hugely popular here as well, and I'm sure others on this board can come up with a lot more examples.
Do other countries support all sports the way we do? The Americans don't appear to back as wide a variety as we do, neither do the Germans or French.

Not forgetting tennis at Wimbledon, which the players regard as the biggest Grand Slam tournament.

el punal

And don't forget the 30,000 rugby fans who went down under to watch the Lions in New Zealand.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The huge number of fans that follow all the national teams, the Barmy army, the Welsh and Northern Ireland fans who followed their countries in the Euros, the Boxing fans who go to the States to watch our fighters, the England football supporters who turn up for tournament after tournament, knowing we have next to no chance of winning,it must all take a huge commitment in time, money, and emotional involvement.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Melbourne is widely recognised as the sports capital of the world. Huge crowds for everything there.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Except when they are losing to us in the forth day of the fourth test, to go 2-1 down, in the 2010-2011 Ashes series

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Melbourne is widely recognised as the sports capital of the world. Huge crowds for everything there.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

MCG Day 1 Boxing Day Test full. Day 2 60% capacity.........Does hold 90,000+ though so I get your point.
It was empty days 4 and 5 when I was there in 2006. The bast**ds had won in 3 days and gone 4-0 up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here