Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lewis Dunk for England.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Unquestionably better than Maguire, Keane and Jagielka. Maybe Cahill too. Matter of time now he has worked very hard on eliminating the silly mistakes and bookings.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Dunk will probably leave in the summer. he would walk into any side in the league I reckon.

My guess is that he will end up at Spurs - new stadium and they will surely start upping the wages and which young (ish) English player wouldn't want the manager?

It is inevitable he will leave and if he gets a single boo at the Amex it will be a disgrace.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It will happen.

The two favoured players in the pecking order ahead of him, Maguire and Keane, have been awful for Leicester and Everton for a run of games now. That's the view of their fans.

Whereas Dunk's been imperious.
Tbf, Maguire looked pretty good against us.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It won’t happen of course but anyone looking to add a CB in the Premier League should be looking to sign both Dunk & Duffy. That is a lot of money in today’s market. I cannot remember a better pairing at CB

Best since Foster and Lawrenson. Unless teams learn to keep the ball on the deck it’ll carry on.

_mark_

Aug 24, 2011
I wonder how many of our players would turn down a move to a big 6 club. OK, more money, but the extra pressure and maybe a squad players more than a starter. Also, team spirit/togetherness is an important thing too.

None of them.

It’s a job, not a hobby

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, in International terms, I've had the brakes on with Dunk up until now just to see if (a) he could mostly eliminate his brainfarts, and (b) to see if he could cut it at the next level.

He's done both. He's taken to the Premier League like a duck to water. He's got the lot and he's pissing it. Positioning, anticipation, blocking, heading, dealing with the the physicality, bringing it out, passing simply, the odd hollywood ball. He's got the lot. The only thing that could hold him back is that he is playing for an unfashionable club. When you have an England manager who actually picks the likes of JESSIE LINGARD, you have to worry. The sole reason the likes of that hopeless loafer gets picked is because he plays for MUFC, so "he must be good".

Dunk is every inch Premier League. He's better than Stones. Of course, Stones has moved for 50-odd million, which almost OBLIGES palace fishlips to pick him. But if he ever actually looks beyond the top 6, and the pricetags, he will see an absolute gem of a player. I only wish Duffy was english too, because the pair of them could do it for England. They are that good.

Jimmy Grimble

Wish I could be arsed to dig out the post I made years ago saying he'll play for England one day. Admittedly I had heard it from people behind the scenes at the Albion and in football in general but I think anyone with the slightest understanding of football could see he was the most naturally gifted defender this club has ever produced and then clearly the most gifted young defender to have played in the Championship. His skill set is that of an international footballer and always had the potential to be, it has only ever been a question of temperament.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 months ago he was only good enough for palace's bench. :laugh:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Well, in International terms, I've had the brakes on with Dunk up until now just to see if (a) he could mostly eliminate his brainfarts, and (b) to see if he could cut it at the next level.

He's done both. He's taken to the Premier League like a duck to water. He's got the lot and he's pissing it. Positioning, anticipation, blocking, heading, dealing with the the physicality, bringing it out, passing simply, the odd hollywood ball. He's got the lot. The only thing that could hold him back is that he is playing for an unfashionable club. When you have an England manager who actually picks the likes of JESSIE LINGARD, you have to worry. The sole reason the likes of that hopeless loafer gets picked is because he plays for MUFC, so "he must be good".

Dunk is every inch Premier League. He's better than Stones. Of course, Stones has moved for 50-odd million, which almost OBLIGES palace fishlips to pick him. But if he ever actually looks beyond the top 6, and the pricetags, he will see an absolute gem of a player. I only wish Duffy was english too, because the pair of them could do it for England. They are that good.

"....palace fishlips....". :thumbsup:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He's an excellent 'backs to the wall defender', but the top six teams need defenders who can hold a very high line. This is something we haven't yet seen from Dunk and Duffy in the Premier League, and is what I hope will deter an imminent bid from Liverpool, for instance.

Personally I have little doubt he could do a better job than Louvren, but they have Joe Gomez and want Van Dijk, so I may be worrying for nothing.

It will be interesting next week to compare Dunk to Van Dijk, who is rumoured to be worth anything from 50-70 million.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Michael Keane who is the man in possession is arguably better at the moment.

Last season I thought they were similar, but Keane was benefiting from playing at a higher level.

This season I think Keane has gone backwards, lacks concentration and cumbersome on the ball.

Dunk on the other hand has made great strides in all areas. Currently comfortably better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last season I thought they were similar, but Keane was benefiting from playing at a higher level.

This season I think Keane has gone backwards, lacks concentration and cumbersome on the ball.

Dunk on the other hand has made great strides in all areas. Currently comfortably better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Everton fans rate Keane's recent performances as awful:

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/michael-keane.97907/page-26

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that he has the potential to get picked in preference to KEANE MAGUIRE STONES and CAHILL and will get picked for a friendly so that Southgate can have a look at him and then it is all up to him as to how he adapts at that level. Club wise I have said and stick by it he will be at Arsenal in January. A surprise move could be a Smalling Part Ex at United and who wouldnt want to work under Mourinhio.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"The second most backed player over the weekend to be on the plane to Russia is surprisingly Lewis Dunk. The Brighton defender was playing at the top of his game against Everton at the AMEX, denied a clean sheet by a late penalty decision and denied a goal by the arm of Michael Keane.

The centre half accounts for 11.6% of bets placed this weekend and bookies disagree over his chances of making the 23-man squad. He is as short as 11/1 in a place whilst you can get 33/1 elsewhere."

More >>> https://www.oddschecker.com/tips/fo...m-and-dunk-backed-for-england-world-cup-squad

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
"The second most backed player over the weekend to be on the plane to Russia is surprisingly Lewis Dunk. The Brighton defender was playing at the top of his game against Everton at the AMEX, denied a clean sheet by a late penalty decision and denied a goal by the arm of Michael Keane.

The centre half accounts for 11.6% of bets placed this weekend and bookies disagree over his chances of making the 23-man squad. He is as short as 11/1 in a place whilst you can get 33/1 elsewhere."

More >>> https://www.oddschecker.com/tips/fo...m-and-dunk-backed-for-england-world-cup-squad

Skybet are now 8s. You need to quick on the 33s with 365 it'll be gone before long.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Not only should he be in the squad, he should be one of the 1st names on the team sheet. Name me a better English Center back. You won't.

John Stones has been excellent for City this season, he's guaranteed to start for England. I'd also assume that Cahill is guaranteed a squad place, despite being shit.

It's then 2 from Jagielka, Keane, Maguire, Smalling, Jones, Lascelles & Dunk.

Personally I'd have Dunk over all of those in a heartbeat, but Southgate is an absolute clown, so who knows. :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here