Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] I'm thinking of buying a Camera Drone - advice needed

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
If they have the blocking technology. Don't the TV companies use drones at times at live matches?

You won't find anywhere near the Amex with a DJI device. Stadiums are all on blocked list.

TV companies use a licensed operator.

D

Deleted member 2719

I can't think of many valid reasons why a drone would crash / land in your garden. Most (at least other than the cheap ones) have a return to base option for when the battery runs low.

Okay, but i have seen atleast 2 in recent weeks, that have gone missing on FB in the Chichester area and both went across the A27 while seemly out of control, both were found well away from where their owners thought.

It's a disaster waiting to happen to the public IMO.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yup, I'm in the 'ban' them camp too - apart from licenced operators with a legitimate / professional purpose for using them and full training and insurance.

Given how affordable they are becoming and people's seemingly insatiable need to film everything and upload it onto some sad-sack Facebook page or whatever, these things are going to become a real blight in the not too distant future, buzzing around all over the place. For me, they epitomise the height of selfishness, but so long as the dicks flying them are having fun that's okay I suppose.

Yes - if one crash-landed on my property I would take great delight in smashing it into tiny pieces with a 7lb club hammer.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yup, I'm in the 'ban' them camp too - apart from licenced operators with a legitimate / professional purpose for using them and full training and insurance.

Given how affordable they are becoming and people's seemingly insatiable need to film everything and upload it onto some sad-sack Facebook page or whatever, these things are going to become a real blight in the not too distant future, buzzing around all over the place. For me, they epitomise the height of selfishness, but so long as the dicks flying them are having fun that's okay I suppose.

Yes - if one crash-landed on my property I would take great delight in smashing it into tiny pieces with a 7lb club hammer.

Ya big pussy...you really should be looking at one of these :moo:

dims.jpeg

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I like watching those drone-on-drone crime vids, with a big drone catching a little one in a net. Beautiful stuff.

I'm not really all that concerned about 'paedos' filming my kids, I don't think that's a very realistic use case for drone operators. I just find their buzzing really annoying, and since I only seem to encounter them when I'm at natural beauty spots, it's doubly irritating. I'm not sure if many ski resorts even let you use them now, so unless you are off-piste, you should expect a piste patrol dude to come after you fairly quickly.

My main concern is that horror scenario where the drone hits your child in the face and they lose vision in one eye... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-34936739

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Quite right BG ,If one of these came withing reaching distance of me i would kick the shit out of it .

I appreciate people might have legitimate reasons for using them, but if I realised one was hovering over my house at all, I would do what I could to destroy it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Fraser has a Mavic Pro and it is an unbelievable piece of kit. Well worth the money.

Here's his video of our recent holiday in France.

[yt]qg0SvtMmzQY[/yt]

Lovely video. Thanks

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sorry i am very anti drone, weirdly i was going to start a thread about what would you do if a drone landed/crashed in your garden, smash it up or try and return it.

Because i personally would trash it,(sorry) i like my privacy and safety for my kids.

A year or so back a neighbour broke a drone that had an emergency landing in his garden... about a month later six of his front windows broke themselves overnight :) I don't think the drone operator was happy.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
According to a retired pilot interviewed on the news a modern jet plane has two engines and if the drone was able to take out 1 it could still operate and land on the other so they do not present a great risk to aircraft.

Well that's alright then. Let them get flown over Heathrow as what's an engine between friends!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
According to a retired pilot interviewed on the news a modern jet plane has two engines and if the drone was able to take out 1 it could still operate and land on the other so they do not present a great risk to aircraft.
I'm glad he's retired!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I dont think he was meaning the cost and was more concerned with what dangers to aircraft that they may pose.

I didn't mention the cost. Ask most pilots that fly planes with more than one engine whether they have a habit of shutting one down, let alone what people that fly single engine aircraft think!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here