Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

catalonia independence vote......

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
This has probably swayed quite a few people to the independence camp with this absolutely idiotic decision

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The Spanish police and government have absolutely ****ed this up and behaved disgustingly.

If the result goes that way, I fully expect Catalunya to declare independence in the coming days.

What would happen then, I really have no idea.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If the vote is successful - then Catalonia will unilaterally declare independence.

What happens after that would be interesting. It could get messy.

It's been a simmering hotpot for ages, the Spanish government got very nervous when we allowed the Scottish independence vote to happen as they knew the Catalan's would say " How about us then ?" . It was written somewhere that it is a lose/lose for the Spanish government, deny the vote= trouble, allow the vote and they vote out as expected=bigger trouble. lots of cracked heads and anger today could lead to mounting anger and fatalities, then it gets really messy.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I've been watching this with horror most of the day, still can't find the words.

Spain is dead to me. Long live the nation of Catalonia.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I read somewhere that the vote was predicted to be not in favour of independance by a ratio of 60/40 so not sure why the Spanish government where so desperate to stop it? This will not end well.

larus

If this is Europe in 2017 thank god we are leaving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What seems clear to me is that democracy is fine, so long as it’s what the elite/rulers want. This is one of the main reasons why I voted leave. The unelected beaurocrats like Juncker etc are parasitic scum IMO. The treatment of the Catalonians today and the lack of response from the EU elite is deafening. They don’t want this to happen as it opens huge questions as to the irreversibility of the Euro.
Why?, well how could a country outside of the EU (which Catalan would be as Spain would veto) use the Euro? The only way would be by using it as their currency, but not having any control over monetary policy - dangerous.

This has a way to go yet, and I fear for the heavy handed tactics which the Spanish government will use. Sad day.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The decisions of the Spanish government perplex me. It would appear if a free vote had taken place a result to stay, by a good margin, would have been the result. Yes legal arguments would have followed but the result would have been upheld. No I guess the Catalunia problem wouldn't go away. The Government with, it seems, the backing of the EU decided to clamp down and 'go in hard' Riot police today have done as much damage to the EU (and Spain) as the illegal tidal wave of immigration.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Fair play to these not Spanish people.

I would also support a Sussex uprising against the rest of the country, especially Scotland.

The East Sussex will leave, then Brighton and Hove, then Brighton. And finally, on that triumphant day, we will raise the flag of our own independence here in Hanover.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I can understand the Spanish government being cowardly and idiotic, absolutely. That sums up most self-serving politicians. But how the hell can the Police, military or otherwise attack their own people like that. What kind of unbelievable **** would you have to be to see a person, peacefully holding their hands in the air, and slam your baton into their face? I've seen some stuff today that is making my blood boil.

No better than any dictator-led state anywhere. I cannot understand how they haven't had a full scale riot going on. I see stuff like that and think that if a few people fought back aggressively, the tide could quickly turn and god knows what happens next.

Disgusting. I eargerly await the mealy-mouthed response from pathetic EU leaders everywhere. And I'm pro-EU.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The East Sussex will leave, then Brighton and Hove, then Brighton. And finally, on that triumphant day, we will raise the flag of our own independence here in Hanover.

Like that time Homer declared independence? Your house could become a tax haven!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I cannot understand how they haven't had a full scale riot going on. I see stuff like that and think that if a few people fought back aggressively, the tide could quickly turn and god knows what happens next.

The Spanish State has proven they are taking this super seriously, any unrest will result in deaths. The Catalans on the streets have not wanted trouble, they have been peaceful. The state has forces in the city, most shipped in from outside, they are unlikely to have as many in days / weeks. Also a riot would destroy their homes, their livelihoods. But let's see, it could all kick off on any spark. But theyshould take their time, think of ways to get their voice heard. That could take many forms.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The Vice President of the EU:

[TWEET]914591461357838337[/TWEET]

The EU are on their way to getting their own army don't forget.

Makes me shudder.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Vice President of the EU:

[TWEET]914591461357838337[/TWEET]

So they may debate the articles of the Lisbon Treaty.... Spain could have the vote withdrawn. :lolol:

Although Valcárcel does have an axe to grind...

Pringle time.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here