Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He 'aint happy. If he 'aint happy, his mate Rees-Mogg 'aint happy either, surely.

[tweet]939121570072670209[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"The United Kingdom will ensure that no new regulatory barriers develop between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom."

"In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the internal market and the customs union."

When are agreed solutions happening? Anytime soon?

in the coming year they'll discuss and negotiate the solutions. btw, we are aligned with many rules and regulations across the world, i dont think that phrase has the meaning people are giving it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Northern Ireland has no hard border, no customs checks, no restrictions and full alignment on trade with the Republic of Ireland while simultaneously maintaining unfettered access to the UK single market then, logically, then what is to stop getting goods tariff-free from Sussex to the EU via Northern Ireland?

I fancy a few farmers on the NI/ROI border will be rubbing their hands with glee at today's announcements.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
in the coming year they'll discuss and negotiate the solutions. btw, we are aligned with many rules and regulations across the world, i dont think that phrase has the meaning people are giving it.

All done and dusted in a year then? Okay, thanks for clearing that one up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If Northern Ireland has no hard border, no customs checks, no restrictions and full alignment on trade with the Republic of Ireland while simultaneously maintaining unfettered access to the UK single market then, logically, then what is to stop getting goods tariff-free from Sussex to the EU via Northern Ireland?

I fancy a few farmers on the NI/ROI border will be rubbing their hands with glee at today's announcements.

Think I might invest in a NI brass-name-plate business.

Regards, HT Brass Plates of Belfast Ltd, Belfast, NI, EU.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You say that. But being an open minded person I have listened to the arguments from all sides. The government, the opposition and even Farage seem to think it is.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm confused. Do you think Farage being unhappy with the agreement is a good thing or a bad thing?

I'd have to answer that in 6 months time, if truth be told.

His public views are shared by like-minded individuals on the back benches of The Conservative and Unionist party though. There are too many of them conspicuous by their absence today. I can't believe that a lot of them are nothing but seething today...............

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Nice quote from Michel Barnier at this morning's press conference when asked if the deal meant that the default position is remaining in the single market:

“No. You havent understood that well… beyond its decision to leave the EU… the British government has confirmed that it wishes also to leave the single market and the customs union which is not obligatory. There are countries who are not E.U. members, who are part because that is their wish, whilst respecting of the rules of the single market. But that’s not the choice taken by the UK. So you have not understood that well.”

That kills that notion stone dead then. :thumbsup:

It looks like we are on our way to getting a bespoke deal then .. Quelle surprise. Bad day for remoaners and Corbynistas I see, spinning furioiusly :wink:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Nice quote from Michel Barnier at this morning's press conference when asked if the deal meant that the default position is remaining in the single market:

“No. You havent understood that well… beyond its decision to leave the EU… the British government has confirmed that it wishes also to leave the single market and the customs union which is not obligatory. There are countries who are not E.U. members, who are part because that is their wish, whilst respecting of the rules of the single market. But that’s not the choice taken by the UK. So you have not understood that well.”

That kills that notion stone dead then. :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone thinks we will be officially remaining in the single market and therefore what that entails. It's just that it is starting to look increasingly likely that in practice we effectively will end up in a very similar position as we are now.

It's a neat solution as it keeps remainers and brexiters generally happy, just not the likes of Farage etc.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I don't think anyone thinks we will be officially remaining in the single market and therefore what that entails. It's just that it is starting to look increasingly likely that in practice we effectively will end up in a very similar position as we are now.

It's a neat solution as it keeps remainers and brexiters generally happy, just not the likes of Farage etc.

My guess is that Over the next 48 hours it will all kick off again. People will realise that, as you say, we will not officially be in the single market but we will have to follow all of the rules so we might as well be. People will clock that all that has happened is we have agreed to pa c40 billion to follow rules we have no say on. Surely no one voted for this Brexit did they?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
We are still leaving,and the extra two years that Dumbo's echo was grizzling about are 2019 and 2020.

I will explain very simply. In the outline deal published today we have committed to paying for the years 2019 and 2020. We have requested a further 2 years membership from the EU and still await their response. Their response is extremely likely to have a financial element which has not even been discussed yet. This will be in addition to any Brexit bill which has apparently been agreed and includes 2019 and 2020.

I'm afraid that this is the last time i will spend seconds correcting your idiocy as there are far better uses of my time. Maybe you should stick to stories that are a little harder to disprove ???

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Think I might invest in a NI brass-name-plate business.

Regards, HT Brass Plates of Belfast Ltd, Belfast, NI, EU.

Ker-ching! I can almost visualise Arlene Foster donning her hat, heels and tap-dancing Judy Garland-style all the way home. "Forget The Troubles c'mon Get Happy, you better chase all your cares away, shout Hallelujah c'mon get happy, get ready for the Brexit Day!"

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Ker-ching! I can almost visualise Arlene Foster donning her hat, heels and tap-dancing Judy Garland-style all the way home. "Forget The Troubles c'mon Get Happy, you better chase all your cares away, shout Hallelujah c'mon get happy, get ready for the Brexit Day!"

Are you confusing her with Arlene Phillips?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here