Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Johnny Hallyday REP

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Same here (late 80s/ early 90s) :lol:

All our French textbooks contained photos of him, Edith Piaf, Tintin, Pierre Trudeau and various other French (speaking) people that none of us thirteen year olds had ever heard of.

We never actually had to learn about them, but I definitely remember their names popping up in whatever the books were called.

I learned much of my (limited) French from Asterix the Gaul

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
lot of time for french music and Johnny is right up there. a true icon in france, this is big big news up there with brel, gainsbourg etc. my fave is his early/ mid 70s country album:

Odd lot the French, musically they always seemed to march to a different, slightly hackneyed beat. When I was out there in the mid-70s, their two musical icons were homegrown heroes Little Bob Story ('Leetle Bob'!) and Irish rocker Rory Gallagher. Both were MASSIVE.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always struck me as a slightly comic figure, less an imitator of Elvis and more an imitator of Russ Abbott impersonating Englbert Humperdink apeing Cliff Richard imitating Elvis.

RIP and all that, but its a no from me.

As for the Christine Keeler, you can stay at that country house, now. It is quite something.

All a long time ago......

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Saw him in concert in 1995 in Paris! Au revoir Johnny!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He thrashed his body on alcohol, drugs and cigarettes. Plus the many women and the stress that comes with that. Do some research.

Research into what? I was aware of his life, and no matter how you slice it 74 It's not a 'good innings'.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
There are a few pop standards that were originally written in French, the most famous being "My Way" / "Comme d'habitude". Others being "Beyond the Sea" / "La Mer", "Seasons in the Sun / "Le Moribond" written by Jacques Brel who also wrote "If You Go Away" / "Ne me Quitte Pas" and "Amsterdam" / "Amsterdam" covered by Bowie and Scott Walker, "Let it be Me"/ "Je t'Appartiens. With the French the lyrics tend to take priority over the melody and the language is more suited to ballads than rock or pop. But I do love a bit of cheesy French pop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here