Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Have been an avid podcast listener for years but for some reason never got round to giving Buxton a go. Just listened to the two most recent Theroux episodes and the Steve Coogan one. Absolutely brilliant. Theroux's falsetto singing on last year's ep, oh my :lolol:

Ha! It is great. Kind of jealous that you've got that back catalogue to listen to still. His ones with Jo are excellent as you'd expect. Check out the Michael Palin one and the two Richard Aoyade episodes too. Stand out ones for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have been an avid podcast listener for years but for some reason never got round to giving Buxton a go. Just listened to the two most recent Theroux episodes and the Steve Coogan one. Absolutely brilliant. Theroux's falsetto singing on last year's ep, oh my :lolol:

The programme Louis was 'advertising', Heroin Town, is on BBC2 tonight at 9.

On the off chance you've missed the references Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast is a similar rambling celebrity interview.
When it's good it's very good.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Jimbo and Producer Ben leaving Guardian Football Weekly to start a new one with Ian Mackintosh. I hope Barry and the rest of the team go with them, but I can envisage the Guardian getting Max Rushton into the hotseat instead.

Shame as it's consistently been among the very best football podcasts going.
What do you reckon to the Guardian football weekly now?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
What do you reckon to the Guardian football weekly now?

I don't love it. On it's own terms I think it's pretty good (Rushton annoys me less here than he normally does, and Glendenning is always great), but rightly or wrongly in my head I'm always going to be comparing it to the Totally Football Show .

I just don't think they can compete with the line up of AC Jimbo, James Horncastle, Sasha Guryunov, Ian Mackintosh, Rafa Honigstein etc. Plus David Preece has been a phenomenal addition. My favourite podcast by far at the moment.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Glad you enjoyed them. I think there are a couple more with Louis. All very funny. His most recent with Johnny marr is also a good listen.

Just listened to that, really enjoyed it. Never read or listened to any interviews with JM before despite being a Smiths fan. Comes across as very nice and down to earth.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Frank Skinner is still the daddy. Unmissable, consistently brilliant.

The Guardian football weekly is an enjoyable jaunt, until they start talking about Italy etc they I tend to glaze over a bit and tune out. Quickly Kevin Will He Score is good, the Ian Pierce one had some tremendous anecdotes. They do tend to laugh a bit TOO hard at times though, which can get very grating.

Nothing touches that Skinner pod though. Love it.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Frank Skinner is still the daddy. Unmissable, consistently brilliant.

The Guardian football weekly is an enjoyable jaunt, until they start talking about Italy etc they I tend to glaze over a bit and tune out. Quickly Kevin Will He Score is good, the Ian Pierce one had some tremendous anecdotes. They do tend to laugh a bit TOO hard at times though, which can get very grating.

Nothing touches that Skinner pod though. Love it.

I'm really enjoying Quickly Kevin, some of the anecdotes are amazing. Genuinely think they are starstruck at times and so it can come across slightly sycophantic. Think the Steve Bruce novel review was the best episode by a long way, so much Partridge about it.

Nabbed a ticket for the live show next year as well. All thanks to this thread.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This weeks Quickly Kevin was with Mark Lawrenson.

He was genuinely REALLY entertaining and yes, before you panic, we got a mention.

His story of being the Newcastle 'defensive' coach was very good.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I'm really enjoying Quickly Kevin, some of the anecdotes are amazing. Genuinely think they are starstruck at times and so it can come across slightly sycophantic. Think the Steve Bruce novel review was the best episode by a long way, so much Partridge about it.

Nabbed a ticket for the live show next year as well. All thanks to this thread.

The Magic Sponge is a bit of cruder version of basically Jimmy Bullards mates, however there are episodes with Adam Virgo and Liam Ridgewell.

The Episode with Graham Stack is hilarious.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
This weeks Quickly Kevin was with Mark Lawrenson.

He was genuinely REALLY entertaining and yes, before you panic, we got a mention.

His story of being the Newcastle 'defensive' coach was very good.

Need to listen to that tonight.

Really enjoyed the Phil Babb texting anecdote last week, and the Steve Bull/Gazza shampoo story.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The Magic Sponge is a bit of cruder version of basically Jimmy Bullards mates, however there are episodes with Adam Virgo and Liam Ridgewell.

The Episode with Graham Stack is hilarious.

Maybe I'm a bit of a WET LETTUCE but I found some of the episodes just a bit to "wheyyy laddy banter whheeyyyy". I think that describes it.

There was one with Steve Claridge where it was SO difficult to listen to. He came across as a right prick.

All it did was made me think I would have CRUMBLED if I was a professional footballer. Humour isn't QUITE on the same wavelength it seems.

However, I'll give the Virgs one a go as he's a nice boy.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Maybe I'm a bit of a WET LETTUCE but I found some of the episodes just a bit to "wheyyy laddy banter whheeyyyy". I think that describes it.

There was one with Steve Claridge where it was SO difficult to listen to. He came across as a right prick.

All it did was made me think I would have CRUMBLED if I was a professional footballer. Humour isn't QUITE on the same wavelength it seems.

However, I'll give the Virgs one a go as he's a nice boy.

It is all a bit over the top, but still fairly amusing. Plenty to pick and choose between.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Well there I was in the gym this evening, catching up on Totally Football Show podcast from the international break, when they read a tweet of mine out; fame at last.
It was reference our England Manager; I said, "Am I the only one who dreams of Gareth getting caught in a Big Sam style sting?"

Just me then.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At the end of last week I was thinking 'it's about time Sean Hughes released some more pods' :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"10 packets of Space Raiders".

#GriefIsLiving.

I laughed so hard going over to the AMEX, I had to listen again coming home.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
"10 packets of Space Raiders".

#GriefIsLiving.

I laughed so hard going over to the AMEX, I had to listen again coming home.

Ah from John Robbins?

That podcast is now my absolute highlight of my audio week. Wonderful. He is playing the Komedia on his tour but I would also like to see both of them on one of their joint ventures.

The Heavyweight podcast is back now (weirdly, recommended by John Robbins on the Radio X pod). The podcast documents people with grievances/unanswered questions from their past which the host (Jonathan) helps them to try and seek an answer to. Really enjoyable.

The latest Quickly Kevin with Matt Lorenzo (ITV host of World Cup 94) is also a great listen.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No doubt been mentioned previously, but I'm really enjoying Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. I'm currently listening to episode 59 (a 'blitz' episode) The Destroyer of Worlds; a 5 hour in depth look at the dawn of the nuclear arms race, decisions that were taken, psyche at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here