Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andrea Leadsom for new PM?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Jeez. Didn't you watch any of the BREXIT campaigning? "We want to introduce a points based immigration system like the Australian model". You did not have the option of saying you are voting leave but you don't agree with controlling immigration in that way. The BREXIT campaign has won the referendum and that is their position on immigration.
But, no one had any authority to promise anything!

There was 1 simple question on the ballot paper. 1 simple democratic mandate.

It seems that some didn't do what students are advised - 'Read the question' ???

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

It seems that some didn't do what students are advised - 'Read the question' ???

Exactly. There were two simple statements about the European Union: there was no mention of immigration, free movement, migrants or anything at all - no matter how much people want to twist it that way

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

You believe whatever you want. The BREXIT team believes that they have a mandate to get controlled points based immigration introduced.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
In which case there are means of accepting "free movement of labour" in principle whilst making it economically unviable for the people we don't want to come.

But as I pointed out, you cannot, once a family is here, allow them to live on the streets. So they would recieve benefits, and for some that may be incentive enough to come. Even if people came and didn't claim benefits, the numbers of people who would choose to come would continue to put a strain on our services and depress wages. I think the issue of benefits is a side issue, it's the numbers / resources maths which has been a far greater issue. It's already been pointed out during the campaign that many immigrants don't claim much in benefits or make up for their benefits in taxes. This isn't all about money. Controlling, and importantly, knowing, the numbers of people coming is the only way to plan public services and resource allocation.

& actually the principle is important too. I see what you are saying about having free movement and then provide disincentives. But actually it's far better both in practice and in principle, if we are in charge of our immigration policy, and can shape it to suit the needs of our economy, rather than trying to control things indirectly in the way you are suggesting.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
But as I pointed out, you cannot, once a family is here, allow them to live on the streets. So they would recieve benefits, and for some that may be incentive enough to come. Even if people came and didn't claim benefits, the numbers of people who would choose to come would continue to put a strain on our services and depress wages. I think the issue of benefits is a side issue, it's the numbers / resources maths which has been a far greater issue. It's already been pointed out during the campaign that many immigrants don't claim much in benefits or make up for their benefits in taxes. This isn't all about money. Controlling, and importantly, knowing, the numbers of people coming is the only way to plan public services and resource allocation.

& actually the principle is important too. I see what you are saying about having free movement and then provide disincentives. But actually it's far better both in practice and in principle, if we are in charge of our immigration policy, and can shape it to suit the needs of our economy, rather than trying to control things indirectly in the way you are suggesting.

Ultimately, it's going to depend on the red lines in the negotiations.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It seems you didn't listen to what the BREXIT campaign was saying either.
I did - looking forward to super hospitals with this £350m a week! :thumbsup: Great stuff. No more 6 month waits. No more cancer lottery on drugs. Must be true cos it said it in the side of their bus and everything.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I did - looking forward to super hospitals with this £350m a week! :thumbsup: Great stuff. No more 6 month waits. No more cancer lottery on drugs. Must be true cos it said it in the side of their bus and everything.

Yes indeed. If that is what they said then you should expect them to deliver. Please explain that to the various people on this board who believe that it's irrelevant what the BREXIT camp said during the campaign because none of it was on the voting slip and, therefore all that they voted for was to leave the EU.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yes indeed. If that is what they said then you should expect them to deliver. Please explain that to the various people on this board who believe that it's irrelevant what the BREXIT camp said during the campaign because none of it was on the voting slip and, therefore all that they voted for was to leave the EU.
All I know is that there were bare faced lies exceeding the usual from politicians on both sides. And anyone who believed that any of them would/will stick to all of their promises is a naive fool.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
http://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...verge-putting-herself-forward-Tory-leadership

7drHiqr.gif

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Theresa May now the overwhelming bookies' favourite for the job.

She's done well there, hasn't she? Been on the losing side, as it were, yet kept her head sufficiently down throughout the entire process so as to ensure she's not so tainted by the defeat as to lose out on a chance to lead. Cunningly done.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

She's done well there, hasn't she? Been on the losing side, as it were, yet kept her head sufficiently down throughout the entire process so as to ensure she's not so tainted by the defeat as to lose out on a chance to lead. Cunningly done.
No one can call her a liar because she didn't say anything...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Hmm .. Andy Burnham and Yvette Cooper were overwhelming bookies' favourites for the Labour leadership; before that, David Miliband was odds-on.

Can't remember who was favourite three months before the Tory election but it sure as hell wasn't David Cameron.

And John Major was nowhere near favourite when he landed the job either

Bookies' favourite is no good thing to be

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Hope she gets the job.The thought of Boris's mug all over the TV and newspapers 24/7 would drive me nuts!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No one can call her a liar because she didn't say anything...

Nope. I remember in the week before the vote, finding myself wondering what her position was on this subject. After all, she does have a rather important position within the UK government.

I was therefore amazed to note just how little she'd said publicly on this- frankly- huge issue affecting the UK. Took me quite a while to find out whether she was a Leaver or a Remainer.

She's played a blinder, at least in terms of her own career development.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here