Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some things I learned about Calde last night...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A very big than you to all those who organised last night and especially The Albion Roar. A pleasure to meet the great man and spend a few minutes chatting with him, he really as down to earth as any of us and does not get what all the fuss is about.

It seems he plays for the Albion out of love as he doesn't earn enough to buy a new pair of jeans mind!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
• Calde's two main passions (outside the house and family) are football and running. Sometimes it's running and football, but now it's football and running. And climbing. He now likes climbing. Should have got him a wall as a present.

• When he was 15, he was painfully shy. His partner of 17 years asked him out - rather than he asked her out. Teaching has helped him reduce that shyness.

• Their son's first English words were 'football' and 'seagulls'. He is obsessed with football. Calde actually wants him to watch more cartoons 'like normal children'.

• [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] got a story from Andrea Orlandi from when they were both in Swansea. I'll let him post that anecdote.

• No, I didn't ask him about his immediate future. This was an evening of thanks and appreciation.

• And he much prefers the chant 'he scores with his face' to 'I-ni-go Calderon...'

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Sounds fantastic, well done all, just nice to read about it too.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Roll back to last Tuesday. Myself and [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] are wandering through town, still unsure what to get him.

We're looking in art shops for something Brighton-y. We head down to an art shop on the seafront, and run into Brian Owen, the Argus reporter.

"What does Calde like?"

"Um... errr. Football and running mostly..."

"OK. Thanks."

We walk on some more, and are walking through Pavilion Gardens, and ran into Chris Hughton.

"Chris, help us out here, could you? What's Calde into?"

"Not sure. He's 34, but trains like a 21 year-old. Lovely bloke. Football and running, really."

Jesus.

"Thanks, Chris."

We eventually ended up in Sydney Street, and thereby hit upon an idea of taking someone's photograph and having made into a canvas. We asked [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] very nicely if we could use one of his images of the Palace Pier at sunset. He was delighted to help. So we had a 90cm x 60cm canvas frame made up.

We also got him a signed (by the artist) print of 'The Brighton Line' - the 'London Underground' map of Brighton. It has Calderon as one of the stops. He also got a Basque cookbook (chicken a speciality) and copy of Dan Tester's 'Brighton & Hove On The Day'. This was was signed - the unsigned ones are worth a fortune. [MENTION=4190]Barry Izbak[/MENTION] also obliged with with a framed photgraph of 'Albion Calde', one of the syndicate's greyhounds.

We were just trying to remind him where his friends are. S'all.

The evening was a sell-out success. We ran the 5-minute Calde showreel before inroducing the big man himself. He was expecting a few people, and a quiet evening. Fat chance. To be frank, he looked terrified when he came in.

The Ginger Pig then served us an excellent three course meal on a Basque theme - bread / olives / nuts / serrano ham. Main course was chicken in a tomato, chorizo and paprika sauce (veggies had sweet potato and chickpea stew in a tomato and paprika sauce), with patatas bravas and asparagus on the side. Dessert was a Basque cake and cherry compote. Drinks were also liberally served. Not bad for £35.

Matt Potter was the MC for the evening, and he introduced Attila to recite his poem for Calde. Kieran Maguire said a few excellently chosen words - including the Orlandi story above. We ran the Orlandi video (onion-chopping time for Calde), presented the gifts - including a bunch of flowers for Natalia (Calde's partner), and a superb cake decorated as a Basque flag, courtesy of Vicky Lank. Then Calde made his speech. He was - nearly - speechless.

There was also a free raffle - Calde was giving away some boots, a shirt and tracksuit top etc.

Much fun was had, pictures taken, goodies signed - all the while Calde himself wandered round 'like a wedding' talking to everybody.

The guy, in a word, is class.

Thanks to everyone who came along. Marvellous scenes.

Great work and glad a good evening was had by all.

How many people were there out of interest?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Gutted I couldn't make it but seriously well done to [MENTION=791]The Albion Roar[/MENTION] lads and all those who helped out with the evening. It makes me happy thatour fans bothered to recognise the legend that is Calde off their own backs..

Also, fair play [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] - that was extremely kind to give your prize to [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]'s kid - a true act of investing in our next generation of supporters :thumbsup:

I swear there's something about this season REGARDLESS of what happens on the pitch where everyone really does seem to be #together. Not even in a cheesy marketing way - it really is fitting this together thing :)

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Thanks to all those who put money in my cycle helmet towards the June AITC Brussels challenge ride last night. Came home with a helmet full of shrapnel. :)
Here's Calde's poem.

Berak markatzen du bere aurpegiarekin
(He scores with his face)
FOR CALDE

Now this is modern football. Murdoch doesn’t give a shit.
‘Your match has moved to Sunday week at 2? Get on with it!’
So we swap shifts, piss off our wives and husbands, change our plans:
The game’s not ours any more, but we’re still loyal fans.
Some players are quite happy to embrace the stereotype:
Young, rich gods put on pedestals of endless, mindless hype
By media who then love it when they fall flat on their arse.
But Calde sees through all of that, cos Calde’s different class.

A son of Euskal Herria, the land of Kortatu
Of sagardoa, Sortu, sheep’s cheese, great chorizo too
A unique and ancient language, one which Franco tried to banish
And a long string of abusive words for folk who call them ‘Spanish’!
He is our Basque ambassador, the Albion’s friendly face.
He’ll play any position and never give up the chase.
A hundred percent on the pitch, and, off it, just the same:
A credit to the Albion. A credit to the game.

It’s such a wondrous privilege, being paid to live your dream:
In football, that should mean much more than playing for the team.
It’s work in the community, young kids to be inspired
It’s signing one more autograph, still smiling, when you’re tired.
And, Calde, you do this and more. You’re Brighton through and through.
This celebration evening shows what our fans think of you.
So eskerrik asko, burkide. Kind, good-hearted, clever -
And you can score goals with your face, so you can stay for ever!

Last edited:

This is what Orlandi said about Calde

" Before He signed for Brighton, Calde got released by Alaves and didn't have a club. I was playing for Swansea at the time and He came to visit me.

He stayed with me for a while.. He was sad as He couldn't do what He loves the most, which is playing football.

One day I was driving through the Swansea Bay and He saw some people playing football in the park. He asked me to go back home to get his boots as He wanted to go and play with them. I was shocked but I accepted of course. When We got back to the park there was no space for him to play, this guys didn't let him play.

I was waiting in the car as it was raining crazily (typical Swansea). He came back to the car, He was disappointed and He asked to wait there as He needed to do something.

He went for a run. I thought it was going to be quick. He came back after an hour.. this is just to make you understand how much Calde loves the game amd how much effort he puts in everything he does"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can just picture this scene in the movie of his life - after he has become World :president and ushered in an era of harmony, understanding and peace :) Who would you have play him in the movie?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Thanks to all those who put money in my cycle helmet towards the June AITC Brussels challenge ride last night. Came home with a helmet full of shrapnel. :)
Here's Calde's poem.

Berak markatzen du bere aurpegiarekin
(He scores with his face)
FOR CALDE

Now this is modern football. Murdoch doesn’t give a shit.
‘Your match has moved to Sunday week at 2? Get on with it!’
So we swap shifts, piss off our wives and husbands, change our plans:
The game’s not ours any more, but we’re still loyal fans.
Some players are quite happy to embrace the stereotype:
Young, rich gods put on pedestals of endless, mindless hype
By media who then love it when they fall flat on their arse.
But Calde sees through all of that, cos Calde’s different class.

A son of Euskal Herria, the land of Kortatu
Of sagardoa, Sortu, sheep’s cheese, great chorizo too
A unique and ancient language, one which Franco tried to banish
And a long string of abusive words for folk who call them ‘Spanish’!
He is our Basque ambassador, the Albion’s friendly face.
He’ll play any position and never give up the chase.
A hundred percent on the pitch, and, off it, just the same:
A credit to the Albion. A credit to the game.

It’s such a wondrous privilege, being paid to live your dream:
In football, that should mean much more than playing for the team.
It’s work in the community, young kids to be inspired
It’s signing one more autograph, still smiling, when you’re tired.
And, Calde, you do this and more. You’re Brighton through and through.
This celebration evening shows what our fans think of you.
So eskerrik asko, burkide. Kind, good-hearted, clever -
And you can score goals with your face, so you can stay for ever!

Fantastic.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can't think there have been many better men involved with the club in my 50+ years of supporting the club.
Better footballers sure.
But not better men.

Total respect and admiration.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Is that a poster or an invitation card? If it's a poster any chance that I can purchase a copy? It's just brilliant and unusual and damn cool, and I would put it up in our lounge - my wife might then leave me. But hell, art is art.

I'll give something to AITC if there is a poster version too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is that a poster or an invitation card? If it's a poster any chance that I can purchase a copy? It's just brilliant and unusual and damn cool, and I would put it up in our lounge - my wife might then leave me. But hell, art is art.

That was the invitation card.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
A brilliant night. Thank you to those who made it happen.

As for Calde, what a fantastic man. And I got a hug:love::love:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Sounds like a good night all round. Some enjoyable stuff being written,

What was the Venue like for holding it? Never been in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here