Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The same place where it says UKIP will deliver lower economic growth and a higher national debt maybe...it may be your opinion but not everybodies. If your referring to jobs in Europe,I will say again...We import more from Europe than we export,we pay over £50 million a DAY to stay in it so they can dictate our policies on our working hours and saddle companies with miles of red tape...nameless 'politicians' who you and I cannot vote out. There is a whole world to trade with and if our goods are good enough they will sell.

1: it's the opinion of the major independent economic forecasters........and Nigel Farange agrees with their findings.
2: I don't understand your point in relation to imports and exports. If we pull out of the EU we won't stop buying German cars, French Apples, olive oil etc.
3: The figure you quote of £50m a day is a gross cost, the net is about £21m a day, and to put that in context the government spends £1,900m a day.
4: I don't see how protecting workers from being exploited in terms of working hours is a bad thing, and the rules only apply to a very small proportion of the workforce anyway.
5: If we are not in a free economic trading market there will be more, not less, bureaucracy to deal with if you are an exporter or importer.
6: There are qhango's and civil servants here in the UK who make policies that you and I cannot vote out.
7: The EU is our biggest and closest market with which to trade, if you think the Chinese and Indians are going to start buying more British goods and services as a result of pulling out of the EU then you have zero understanding of trade and economics.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They are doing exceptionally well. bearing in mind their policies.

1. Get out of the EU.

Could a UKIP supporter fill in the blanks because I honestly don't know what they are? :shrug:

not a supporter,but i believe they want to look at the whole question of the smoking ban with regard to pubs(and thats pubs solely,not restaurants work places etc). As a smoker i am willing to let Mr Farage tea bag me whenever he wants

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
1: it's the opinion of the major independent economic forecasters........and Nigel Farange agrees with their findings.
2: I don't understand your point in relation to imports and exports. If we pull out of the EU we won't stop buying German cars, French Apples, olive oil etc.
3: The figure you quote of £50m a day is a gross cost, the net is about £21m a day, and to put that in context the government spends £1,900m a day.
4: I don't see how protecting workers from being exploited in terms of working hours is a bad thing, and the rules only apply to a very small proportion of the workforce anyway.
5: If we are not in a free economic trading market there will be more, not less, bureaucracy to deal with if you are an exporter or importer.
6: There are qhango's and civil servants here in the UK who make policies that you and I cannot vote out.
7: The EU is our biggest and closest market with which to trade, if you think the Chinese and Indians are going to start buying more British goods and services as a result of pulling out of the EU then you have zero understanding of trade and economics.

Brave try to introduce balance intelligence and common sense. Unlikely to work with UKIP supporters though who don't vote on these bases. Their vote is a cry for help, a shout against progress. Such a rump has always existed it is just larger at the moment because of the recent failings of established politics. At least unlike the 1930s it has not yet taken on a violent form and it is unlikely to do so in the UK anyway. The in/out referendum, if it takes place, will be a dangerous moment but if we survive that it will be the end of UKIP. Farage may self destruct before then anyway because he is a phoney waiting to be exposed

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
can someone please explain to me why pulling out of the EU would prevent us from setting up individual trade agreements with other EU countries?

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
can someone please explain to me why pulling out of the EU would prevent us from setting up individual trade agreements with other EU countries?

It wouldn't. But guess what? They would all insist that we follow the rules of the single market. And I would also guess they would be in no rush to accommodate us. And companies from all over the would suddenly think that investing in the UK in order to access the EU would not make sense. And no one would take any notice of us. And we would still be a signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

It wouldn't. But guess what? They would all insist that we follow the rules of the single market. And I would also guess they would be in no rush to accommodate us. And companies from all over the would suddenly think that investing in the UK in order to access the EU would not make sense. And no one would take any notice of us. And we would still be a signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights

We wouldn't have to. As discussed in an article by Paddy Ashdown last year, the likely outcome would be a single trade agreement between the UK and the EU. Yes we would still be bound by SOME of the rules but importantly we'd be free to create trade deals with the rest of the world that suited us rather than the EU.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
We wouldn't have to. As discussed in an article by Paddy Ashdown last year, the likely outcome would be a single trade agreement between the UK and the EU. Yes we would still be bound by SOME of the rules but importantly we'd be free to create trade deals with the rest of the world that suited us rather than the EU.

And we will have lemonade and cake for tea! What world do you inhabit? Do you really think China Japan the US India etc will give a monkeys about little old UK. Do you not think that when Nissan are thinking about a new plant there will be a little French or German or Brussels voice in their ear about how it might make sense to invest in the EU and not outside?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

I claim my £10........

http://www.w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=45223

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
And we will have lemonade and cake for tea! What world do you inhabit? Do you really think China Japan the US India etc will give a monkeys about little old UK. Do you not think that when Nissan are thinking about a new plant there will be a little French or German or Brussels voice in their ear about how it might make sense to invest in the EU and not outside?

This.

People really overestimate the importance of the UK in the world economy. We are tiny by comparison to US, China etc and if we were to leave the EU would become an irrelevance.

It is only our being a member if a much larger organisation that gives us a say.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
This.

People really overestimate the importance of the UK in the world economy. We are tiny by comparison to US, China etc and if we were to leave the EU would become an irrelevance.

It is only our being a member if a much larger organisation that gives us a say.

Rubbish, we inventered the HOVVERCRAFT, and we have Dean Wilkins, (SEVNTH), so stick that in your silly berry hat PIERE

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

I claim my £10........

http://www.w4mpjobs.org/JobDetails.aspx?jobid=45223

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
In February 2013.....
UKIP claimed they would Give pensioners a better deal' by increasing the basic state pension.
UKIP election Leaflet, Eastleigh By-election 2013
BUT in December 2013
UKIP set out their opposition to the triple lock on state pension ( which protects and increases the value of pensions).
BBC Autumn StatementSpecial 5th December 2013

Before the last Euro Elections...... But only days later....
UKIP urged voters to send a message to politicians, You've furnished a second home, you've paid the housekeeper, you've ripped of taxpayers- you're fired!'
Financial Times, 21 May 2009

Nigel Farage said that he had claimed vast sums ' in Expenses and allowances as an MEP: I don't know what the total amount is but- oh lor- it must be pushing £ 2 million.'

The Observer 24 the May 2009

All I am saying they are all as bad as each other promise that sounds good. At the time!!!:mad:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Given the way UKIP are currently unraveling it will a hard sell to convince any normal person they're not racist, thick, uneducated etc etc. As a councillor you'd have to be exceptionally brainless to Tweet racist stuff about Lenny Henry.

Along the same lines, you would have to be a touch thick, uneducated and sheep like to think that everyone who represents UKIP share his values.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I was repeating the thinkings of a respected and very pro-EU politician. He commented that while he would always fight for the UK to stay in the EU the doomsday scenario arguments that many put out ( such as your claims ) were completely out of proportion of any likely reality - i.e. the claims are nothing more than scaremongering. He also pointed out that the scaremongering actually hardens anti-EU views and does the "In" campaign a lot of damage.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I was repeating the thinkings of a respected and very pro-EU politician. He commented that while he would always fight for the UK to stay in the EU the doomsday scenario arguments that many put out ( such as your claims ) were completely out of proportion of any likely reality - i.e. the claims are nothing more than scaremongering. He also pointed out that the scaremongering actually hardens anti-EU views and does the "In" campaign a lot of damage.

scaremongering? what about
- 26million unemployed Europeans after your job
- 29million Bulgarians and Romanians waiting to swamp the UK
- EU costs £50m per day
- 75% of laws made by Brussels

Who exactly are the scaremongers?

Sometimes the truth is scary!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
scaremongering? what about
- 26million unemployed Europeans after your job
- 29million Bulgarians and Romanians waiting to swamp the UK
- EU costs £50m per day
- 75% of laws made by Brussels

Who exactly are the scaremongers?

Sometimes the truth is scary!

I really, really hope you're trying to be ironic...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Perhaps the worst thing the pro-EU camp have done is put fluffy-haired, unprincipled, VI Form-esque politico, Nick Clegg up against Nigel Farage.

Farage is clearly quite good at what he does right now, and Clegg isn't. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the pro-EU wing of British politics get their act together, take UKIP seriously and take them on with proper economics. I do feel Farage has the easier job, hoovering up votes from the less well informed and disaffected Tories, but remain convinced that a half decent politician with a background in economics would absolutely wipe the floor with him.

I see the same thing happening on here - anti-EU [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] has been nothing if not utterly convincing so often on here, except when pro-EU [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] presents his own facts. It's no surprise that El Pres is an economist and is the only person cunning fergus ends up retorting rather feebly to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here