Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "The crowd are on Bong's back..."

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I thought the moment had gone but then, beautifully delayed pass. Genius.

Yes I noticed that - and then not even a smattering of applause - Bong is a good player for us. Never hides and is an excellent defender - not fantastic in an attacking sense but if he was, he would probable be playing for a better team than us. The Amex’s need for a boo boy is bizarre.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes I noticed that - and then not even a smattering of applause - Bong is a good player for us. Never hides and is an excellent defender - not fantastic in an attacking sense but if he was, he would probable be playing for a better team than us. The Amex’s need for a boo boy is bizarre.

He got a standing applause from me after that bit of skill!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I'd even put Ward ahead of Bong as he is far better at attacking.

I would put Kerry Mayo ahead of him too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
According to a certain boring bike loving and car hating poster on here, that would have only been the Albion racists, so don't worry.

Yes. What happened was... the floodlights were at the perfect angle for a split second. We all realised he was, in fact, actually black, and about 12,000 of us collectively groaned before picking up our copies of the Daily Mail and carrying on reading.

???

On a serious note, I think the lad is 50% brilliant, and 50% awful. You're on a rollercoaster of "aww for f*cks sake Bong.." to "nice work Bong. nice..." every 3 minutes. It does my head in.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thought Bong had a decent game last night. He does lack concentration every now and again but is probably to best left back we have at this time! He gets no more ‘groans’ then any other player who misplaces a pass and for the op to insinuate that there is a racist element to this is, frankly, ridiculous and a pathetic way to create a reaction to his thread! Classis ‘look at me’ thread!

This.

With no evidence, a baseless case for racist Brighton fans is being concocted.

In the last year there's been much criticism from parts of NSC and moans at games directed towards variously Stephens, Knockaert, March, Propper, Murray. Mistakes and perceived failings analysed to death.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
There are some seriously odd comments on this thread. All this racism stuff!? What the heck?

Personally though Bong was great last, and is becoming more consistent and improving with time. As you were...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The simple statement is that Bong was a very good championship player and is an average Premiership player. He is physically strong so a good stopper but does not read the game well and his distribution/passing is poor. His poor distribution leads to more pressure as the ball comes back quickly OR attacks die out because ball does not go forward quick enough or do not reach the right player. Bong is reasonably consistent in these attributes.

People are getting frustrated by his weaknesses. Yes other players have their ups and downs but not as consistently as Bong.

Personally think he gets played because Hughton builds from the back knows that he defends reasonably well. Suttner was a better attacking force but not as good defensively. Not sure what other options we have at present.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The simple statement is that Bong was a very good championship player and is an average Premiership player. He is physically strong so a good stopper but does not read the game well and his distribution/passing is poor. His poor distribution leads to more pressure as the ball comes back quickly OR attacks die out because ball does not go forward quick enough or do not reach the right player. Bong is reasonably consistent in these attributes.

People are getting frustrated by his weaknesses. Yes other players have their ups and downs but not as consistently as Bong.

Personally think he gets played because Hughton builds from the back knows that he defends reasonably well. Suttner was a better attacking force but not as good defensively. Not sure what other options we have at present.

This is a very reasonable post. So prepare to be attacked by the idiots.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I dont see how you can say that when he has had one premier game, against Watford, who have started brilliantly. Half way through he was swopped from left back to right back cos of Brunos injury, and admittedly had a shocker,but then,so did the whole team.
Bong seems to switch off too much for my liking, doesn't jump at crosses and his own crosses are woeful when attacking.

Maybe I didn't - The lad is a great player but I watched him up at Birmingham pre-season as well and going forward looked good but defensively struggled against what was a poor Birmingham team

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The simple statement is that Bong was a very good championship player and is an average Premiership player.

With the greatest respect, we are an average Premier League team. At present I would say he is the best left back at the club, and there is no other reason Hughton plays him other than he also thinks that. Every player has his pros and cons, Bongs pros are currently putting him ahead of our other left back options.

We could get frustrated with all our players weaknesses, but then as I said to a mate last night, isn't it better to focus on the positives rather than the negatives. I think the criticisms of him are right, but people are exaggerating as if he rarely passes to a team mate, rarely gets forward, or he is poor this or that. That is patently untrue, he wouldn't be in the side if it was given the options we have, unless of course there are more informed people than our manager.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
With the greatest respect, we are an average Premier League team. At present I would say he is the best left back at the club, and there is no other reason Hughton plays him other than he also thinks that. Every player has his pros and cons, Bongs pros are currently putting him ahead of our other left back options.

I think that is what I said in a round about way, Hughton wants the stronger defender at LB which at moment is Bong. Sutner is a better attacking player because he can cross the ball.

We could get frustrated with all our players weaknesses, but then as I said to a mate last night, isn't it better to focus on the positives rather than the negatives. I think the criticisms of him are right, but people are exaggerating as if he rarely passes to a team mate, rarely gets forward, or he is poor this or that. That is patently untrue, he wouldn't be in the side if it was given the options we have, unless of course there are more informed people than our manager.

I think people (me included) feel that we would be better IF we could get a LB who can attack and defend in equal amounts. Maybe my expectations have risen too high but by raising the performance bar we will get better.

I also think he plays better when Izquerdo is in front of him.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think that is what I said in a round about way, Hughton wants the stronger defender at LB which at moment is Bong. Sutner is a better attacking player because he can cross the ball.

I think people (me included) feel that we would be better IF we could get a LB who can attack and defend in equal amounts. Maybe my expectations have risen too high but by raising the performance bar we will get better.

I also think he plays better when Izquerdo is in front of him.

Bong is currently our first choice left back and keeping 2 other left backs out of the team. That is where we are. We may in the future get hold of a better left back, but I don't really see Bong on the left being any less capable or effective than our right, in fact it feels our best play has come down our left this season and I agree it will be great when Izquierdo is fully back.

He's doing all right Bong. I look at a player who is absolutely working his socks off to be in this team and getting the very best out of himself, I guess that is why I'd tend to defend him because yeah sure there are better left backs in this league, but I'm a big fan of any player that will run through a wall for the side.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can not tell that. Buy I do know brighton fans love a scapegoat and will assign one almoat at random. Bong is one of the best left back ever, and yet people still slag him off!? March could cover every blade of grass on the wing and help of defensively all game but if Knockaert does a step over people faint in admiration. Stephens can control the midfield but if Kayal drives forward once people talk like he is Messi.
Face it the fans have favourites and hate figures for no obvious skill reason. Whatever the reason it is strange.

That is true. Many players picked on by boo-boys or a few NSC haters over the years.

But no evidence that race was a factor.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here