Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] *** Labour Party Annual Conference, 23-25 September 2018, ACC Liverpool ***

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I just did! To repeat..... She shared posts from right leaning group on a public forum (FB) and joined another right leaning group. Add in the UKIP ties. If that doesnt suggest to you that she is right leaning on the polictical spectrum than Im afraid our discussion is futile.

Nothing wrong with having representation in the BBC from a range of political views. My point is that at the moment its heavily one sided with many influential editiorial/presenter roles are held by Tories or those with more right leaning views. Im not sure that is even disputable.

Sorry Pal, but to claim the BBC is a right of centre mouthpiece is complete and utter nonsense. Trying to conduct a media war on behalf of Momentum by any chance?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ah, so Labour have been largely absent from discussions on the most critical issue facing this country for a generation because they've been working on pie-in-the-sky policies that are wholly unpractical. Gotcha. I'm sold - where do I vote?

They've been absent because they're not in government and are playing no part in the process. And as they can't be in government until we leave the EU, it would be pretty much a waste of time to come up with any concrete ideas. And even if they did, May insists her Chequers plan is the only one, so what would be the point of suggesting alternative approaches?

So, they're spending their time coming up with ideas that people can vote on and that they may have a chance to implement. Seems sound practice to me: better than spending time and resources on Brexit where they have no sway whatsoever.
So,

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Corbyn's comments on the press are interesting. "we will, protect the freedom of the press to challenge unaccountable power... But here, a free press has far too often meant the freedom to spread lies and half-truths, and to smear the powerless, not take on the powerful." So, a free press is great as long as say what we want them to? The press must be controled? hmmm.

he has a point about the control of press from right, though this raises a curious unaddressed question - why it that? how come there aren't more left leaning national papers or major media outlets? the're nothing to stop left media starting up, so why dont they and shirley this is the correct response to the problem.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You may not be their target audience.

If someone who has voted for all three major political parties, is self-employed, has a real vested interest in education due to having young children going through our system is not the current Labour Party's target audience then they may need to re-think their strategy.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Sorry Pal, but to claim the BBC is a right of centre mouthpiece is complete and utter nonsense. Trying to conduct a media war on behalf of Momentum by any chance?

I have shown in previous posts that the main political editors and presenters at the BBC are Tories. I will await your evidence to the contrary.

As for me trying to ''çonduct a media war on behalf of Momentum''. Not sure where to start in taking apart this sentence. Just gibberish.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just back from walking the dog and switched on to Corbyn.

Is that the most ill-fitting suit in history?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They've been absent because they're not in government and are playing no part in the process. And as they can't be in government until we leave the EU, it would be pretty much a waste of time to come up with any concrete ideas. And even if they did, May insists her Chequers plan is the only one, so what would be the point of suggesting alternative approaches?

So, they're spending their time coming up with ideas that people can vote on and that they may have a chance to implement. Seems sound practice to me: better than spending time and resources on Brexit where they have no sway whatsoever.
So,

I clearly have the wrong idea about what an opposition party was all about. Holding the government to account was, I thought, pretty key.

I genuinely didn't realise it was actually "Let them get on with it, and we'll worry about stuff when it's out turn".

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

So,

They were also absent pre-referendum. Absenteeism is a popular lifestyle choice of the current Labour leadership. Although not opposing Government plans with concrete opposition sounds like Jeremy Corbyn down to a tee.

Although some would argue they're not opposing Brexit not because it would be a waste of resources, but because their leadership don't want to oppose Brexit...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I clearly have the wrong idea about what an opposition party was all about. Holding the government to account was, I thought, pretty key.

I genuinely didn't realise it was actually "Let them get on with it, and we'll worry about stuff when it's out turn".

Or they also want out of the EU because it further strengthens their power base? Furthermore, not opposing May is a sensible strategy - she does a God awful job of it and Corbyn figures he has a free shot at the Prime Ministerial role.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

But they have opposed the government. There have been several parliamentary votes where they've voted against the government. They also proposed many amendments to the Brexit bill. There's only so much that can be done when they don't have a majority.

A normally opposition party has a chance to amend a previous government's actions - Brexit is unique as it will be done and dusted before Labour can return to power.

They were also absent pre-referendum. Absenteeism is a popular lifestyle choice of the current Labour leadership. Although not opposing Government plans with concrete opposition sounds like Jeremy Corbyn down to a tee.

Although some would argue they're not opposing Brexit not because it would be a waste of resources, but because their leadership don't want to oppose Brexit...

That's a more valid criticism - Corbyn was noticeably absent from any rallies in support of the EU. However, the same could also be said of Theresa May.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Oh damn.. missed it... watching re-runs of American Pickers. Ho hum.
Available on iPlayer. Don't switch off without seeing Barry Gardiner whistle "The Red Flag"... :lolol:

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I have shown in previous posts that the main political editors and presenters at the BBC are Tories. I will await your evidence to the contrary.

As for me trying to ''çonduct a media war on behalf of Momentum''. Not sure where to start in taking apart this sentence. Just gibberish.

But so what if they are? The issue only becomes a problem if any bias comes out in their work and I just don't see or hear it. And I say this as someone who is on the left of the political spectrum. Yes, there was the Laura Kuennsberg interview with Corbyn early on in his leadership and she was quite rightly slapped down for it. Since then I think she's been excellent and gave May a torrid time during the last election with the whole dementia tax debacle. Andrew Neil pulls no punches with anyone, Today will go after MPs from both parties, as will Andrew Marr, who incidentally is married to a political journalist from The Guardian.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Good grief. Just watched some of his speech. Incredible really.

Presumably he understands that to do anything that he wants to do he needs to be in power first? Some of his policies are totally ridiculous and will be rejected heavily by the electorate. Fundamentally voters won't understand where all the money is coming from to do what he wants to do.

Labour need a new Blair type, who accepted that proper left wing policies are not vote winners, particularly with "middle England" and therefore compromised to get some things done.

Corbyn is totally self destructing at a time when the Tories are the weakest I've ever known them. He has the ball at his feet, in front of an open goal and he is failing to even get a shot away, let alone hit the target.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Ah, so Labour have been largely absent from discussions on the most critical issue facing this country for a generation because they've been working on pie-in-the-sky policies that are wholly unpractical. Gotcha. I'm sold - where do I vote?

That's it in a nutshell. :)

Incredible.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
But they have opposed the government. There have been several parliamentary votes where they've voted against the government. They also proposed many amendments to the Brexit bill. There's only so much that can be done when they don't have a majority.

A normally opposition party has a chance to amend a previous government's actions - Brexit is unique as it will be done and dusted before Labour can return to power.

That's a more valid criticism - Corbyn was noticeably absent from any rallies in support of the EU. However, the same could also be said of Theresa May.

One was a leaver, one was a remainer! The leaver knew he would piss many in his party off if too vociferous, the remainer was Home Sec. at the time with one eye on the top job and knew she would piss many of her party off if too vociferous! Both imho are a pair of snide’s .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here