Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kayal

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Maybe our ambitions are different. I think we should have done much better tonight, and last week at Everton, and at West Brom (only team to lose to them in the last 28 league games), and at Huddersfield. We can be the newcomers acting bravely in defeat this season, that's fine. We can keep playing sub-standard players and keep being happy merely surviving if we want, but I think we're capable of better than that.

Maybe I'm being naive, or maybe some people on here need to grow a pair and want to see us having more of a go. Locadia, Gross and Pröpper were up to standard but there are question marks all over the pitch for me. Obviously, we're playing Man Utd away and that's one of the toughest games possible but they were there for the taking tonight. They've not played well at all, and they haven't had to.

There's a degree of truth in this but we've only just been promoted and are a work in progress. As far as I'm concerned we have improved significantly as the season has progressed, we have adjusted to the style of play and demands of the PL but still have improvements to make. When we play against the most expensively assembled teams (note: this does not necessarily equate to the best) we frequently lack the ability to move the ball quickly and decisively in the final third of the pitch and this is currently what differentiates us from them. We are also still vulnerable in the air at the back. If/when we sort these two issues out I believe we will be a good PL team.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
And I thought I was a miserable git at times. :lolol:

I'm happy to accept I'm pretty miserable tonight. I thought we'd have a go, and in my opinion, we didn't. Either it was a lack of ambition or a lack of quality, or a mixture of the pair.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'm happy to accept I'm pretty miserable tonight. I thought we'd have a go, and in my opinion, we didn't. Either it was a lack of ambition or a lack of quality, or a mixture of the pair.

I don't think we had the technical nous to unlock United's defence but on tonight's display we would have beaten a lot of the other teams in the Premier League.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
There's a degree of truth in this but we've only just been promoted and are a work in progress. As far as I'm concerned we have improved significantly as the season has progressed, we have adjusted to the style of play and demands of the PL but still have improvements to make. When we play against the most expensively assembled teams (note: this does not necessarily equate to the best) we frequently lack the ability to move the ball quickly and decisively in the final third of the pitch and this is currently what differentiates us from them. We are also still vulnerable in the air at the back. If/when we sort these two issues out I believe we will be a good PL team.

I completely agree with everything in that post. We still have the core of our Championship team, the investment into our squad doesn't compete with the majority of other clubs at this level and we've had to adapt quickly and grow as the season goes along. We've improved enormously and will continue to improve in the summer. The longer term is looking brilliant for this football club, there's no question about it. I'm disappointed tonight by going out of the FA Cup, we should always be upset when we've gone out of the cups because they matter.

Or at least, they do to me.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don’t think it was a lack of ambition, we attacked pretty well in the second half. Certainly their quality in front of goal was better, two shots on target and two goals.

You are being incredibly harsh on the team, unnecessarily so. We gave a good account of ourselves against one of the worlds most famous, best funded teams.

Rubbish

Feb 26, 2018
I love Kayal, but he's not good enough and tonight surely showed that we're still short on the necessary quality to be able to get a result in games like this one. He spooned one hopelessly wide and otherwise made no real impact on the game. We need the defensive side of the game very competently, but that's easy when you're defending with 10 men the whole time, and your opposition are comfortable knowing they've won the game.

I'm very disappointed tonight, that was really tame and lifeless.

Rubbish

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I thought we'd have a go, and in my opinion, we didn't.

1hazj7.jpg

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex

Sorry you have stepped over the line there. We did give it a go tonight and were beaten by a billion pound team. FFS can't you just be proud of the lads tonight.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I liked Kayal when we were in The Championship but he showed again this evening that he is just not up to the level required against even a poor lethargic United. He is ok to bring on for 10 mins for a tiring player but not to start a game and expect him to perform for 90 minutes. The problem is that without Stephens we have no other choice other than him in CM. This must obviously be addressed in the summer.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Maybe our ambitions are different. I think we should have done much better tonight, and last week at Everton, and at West Brom (only team to lose to them in the last 28 league games), and at Huddersfield. We can be the newcomers acting bravely in defeat this season, that's fine. We can keep playing sub-standard players and keep being happy merely surviving if we want, but I think we're capable of better than that.

Maybe I'm being naive, or maybe some people on here need to grow a pair and want to see us having more of a go. Locadia, Gross and Pröpper were up to standard but there are question marks all over the pitch for me. Obviously, we're playing Man Utd away and that's one of the toughest games possible but they were there for the taking tonight. They've not played well at all, and they haven't had to.

Yes, you are being naive.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Bounced off of Matic when he went into battle a few times, but a good enough show with the right sense of endeavour that spreads throughout the team. Nice to see him in action.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I love Kayal, but he's not good enough and tonight surely showed that we're still short on the necessary quality to be able to get a result in games like this one. He spooned one hopelessly wide and otherwise made no real impact on the game. We need the defensive side of the game very competently, but that's easy when you're defending with 10 men the whole time, and your opposition are comfortable knowing they've won the game.

Genuinely don't know what game you watched. We played exceptionally well. Lots of spirit as well as skill. Scoreline did not reflect the game and your comments don't reflect ANYTHING that happened here in Manchester tonight.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I liked Kayal when we were in The Championship but he showed again this evening that he is just not up to the level required against even a poor lethargic United. He is ok to bring on for 10 mins for a tiring player but not to start a game and expect him to perform for 90 minutes. The problem is that without Stephens we have no other choice other than him in CM. This must obviously be addressed in the summer.

He was up to the level we as a club are and put in a good performance

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Assume you neither went nor watched nor listened based on those comments. All of the team showed they were comfortably PL standard... especially Kayal. Ok, not top 6 (mostly) but DEFINITELY Good enough for this league.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Genuinely don't know what game you watched. We played exceptionally well. Lots of spirit as well as skill. Scoreline did not reflect the game and your comments don't reflect ANYTHING that happened here in Manchester tonight.

I have no idea what game he watched tonight but it certainly wasn't man United v bha. Tame, lifeless, United knew they had won the game, kayal not good enough at this level... :ffsparr:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I don't think we had the technical nous to unlock United's defence but on tonight's display we would have beaten a lot of the other teams in the Premier League.

Exactly. United were unexciting but they defended very well. They have the best defensive home record in PL (conceded just 7 in 15 League games, and two of those were against the noisy neighbours) and Albion just lacked the technical skill to unlock them, despite having three rimes as many shots on target. Any one of those goes in, different game.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I was there. I think you were watching a different match.

The BBC match stats don't agree with you either.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Exactly. United were unexciting but they defended very well. They have the best defensive home record in PL (conceded just 7 in 15 League games, and two of those were against the noisy neighbours) and Albion just lacked the technical skill to unlock them, despite having three rimes as many shots on target. Any one of those goes in, different game.

It was one of my biggest disappointments following Burnley when we conceded a stoppage time equaliser to draw 2-2 at Old Trafford on Boxing Day.

Being 2-0 up at the "Theatre of Dreams" after only half an hour and to only draw thanks to a dubious free-kick awarded to United, in some ways, felt worse than a plucky defeat.

Judging from the highlights, you had the chances to force extra-time and you certainly put up a much better show than Swansea did against Spurs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here