Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murphy and March

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree Trig. Last season KLL was pretty poor. At the beginning of last season JFC was putting in some defense splitting passes but no one was there to receive them. Please give our young players a chance.

What the hell does a "defence-splitting pass" look like if there is no-one there to receive it ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Like I say, drop him down a division on loan and see if he sinks or swims.
I'm not sure about JFC yet, he's not proved himself, but in terms of loaning him out, he might be the type of player that needs others of a high enough skill level to play with him. If one of his main skills is picking out good runs, that'll be no good in most L1 teams. The bottom line is, I trust Hughton's judgement. If he needs to go on loan, so be it, but I hope he does well with us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Goal against Fulham in December was ok.......
It was a great goal.
Good passing and movement, lovely through ball from Tex, Solly was perfectly positioned to stroke the ball into the bottom corner.
Which is kind of my point.
Solly doesn't seem able to create a chance for himself from very little or properly larrup the ball at goal.
He looks like a player making it easy for their goalkeeper.

I still think he'll be very good for the Albion, and will be a different player next season.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Patience people. I seem to remember reading very similar threads to this regarding KLL and look at him now. Only difference is that we know have lots of options instead of Solly, so his chances to play may be limited, which would be a shame as he has masses of potential but lots to learn.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Two wingers, but completely different performances tonight.

Murphy- Gliding past Rotherham defenders with apparent ease and, had there been a bit more movement from our strikers, could have had 3 assists quite easily. Fully deserved man of the match award.

March- Unfortunately, once again, lacking in end product and decision making overall was poor. I appreciate he is a young player who will develop these attributes as he gets more regular game time but can't help thinking a short term loan could be beneficial for him. After Murphy's performance tonight, and with LuaLua, Rosenior and Elvis waiting in the wings I think his appearances will be very limited.

I like March but do agree with you

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Think March is on about his last throw of the dice and just got thrown in against bottom of the table to see if he could hack it. He barely could. OK, he's a young lad yada yada but this is not the season for the side to be carrying passengers. And if he keeps giving Bruno hospital passes, he'll end up getting decked by his team mate, and sooner rather than later.

Yes, he could come good, but sad as it is to say, he being a local lad, I suspect that he might not be quite good enough. He was quite ineffective tonight, and I think I detected his head go down, even before he was substituted, as he realised what an awful night he had. Pity.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
I think everyone wants Solly to do well. He seems to have a few tricks - although they were lacking last night...but doesn't seem to create the chances or beat his man as often as one would hope.

Maybe a run of games would do him good? Although perhaps initially that could be elsewhere for a couple of months.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think everyone wants Solly to do well. He seems to have a few tricks - although they were lacking last night...but doesn't seem to create the chances or beat his man as often as one would hope.

Maybe a run of games would do him good? Although perhaps initially that could be elsewhere for a couple of months.

March gets in some very good wide positions, but is often too ready to pass on the responsibility. Instead of going at someone or driving for the byline, more often than not he'll pull up and play the easy 5 yard pass infield or back to Bruno. And his shooting is worse than Noone's (which is saying something).

Time is on his side for now, but he really needs to push on this season. His problem could be getting gametime though. It looks like Hughton will usually be playing 2 out of Solly, Murphy, KLL, Elvis, and Rosenior (if Rosenior isn't at RB, which given Bruno's current form, won't be often). We've not seen Elvis yet, but if he's half decent then Solly is really going to struggle to get in the side ahead of any one of those guys, certainly going by his insipid display last night against the worst team in the league.

His problem now is that we're recruiting far better players than we're bringing through, but then in terms of forwards, that's certainly nothing new. He may need a season on loan in L1 playing week-in, week-out to see if he can make the step up.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
He has always looked a bit lightweight to me. Skilful, but lightweight. Think we all saw more from that outstanding goal he scored when he was first in the squad, and been waiting for a repeat of something like that

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Murphy was outstanding last night and March was poor. Our group called Murphy as MOM before the sponsors did while we made several comments about March's lack of end product and poor passing. March was the same at Fulham unfortunately.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hughton has a decision on Saturday on who to choose to play on the wide positions, playing away from home I can see him recalling Rosenior in place of March but can you drop Murphy after tonights performance and bring Kaz straight back in to the team?

I think Kaz was badly missed last night. He has the ability to frighten defenders with his pace and quick feet. Maybe a bit harsh on Murphy, but get him straight back in.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why keep playing him on the wrong side? If you want to play him on the right he needs to be a player who can cut inside and get a shot in, but he can't shoot for toffee. If he wants to cross the ball in let him do it with his left foot. I see him as more of a creator than a goal threat.

There has been a transformation where wingers now play on their 'wrong' side, whereas when I were a lad ...
What surprises me more is that CH doesn't swap wingers' sides during the game. I do agree that March might have gained some confidence from running to the byline and whipping in a cross with his left foot. There was good positional exchange between Murphy and Hemed last night though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not sure about JFC yet, he's not proved himself, but in terms of loaning him out, he might be the type of player that needs others of a high enough skill level to play with him. If one of his main skills is picking out good runs, that'll be no good in most L1 teams. The bottom line is, I trust Hughton's judgement. If he needs to go on loan, so be it, but I hope he does well with us.

Agree on this. If JFC goes out on loan, I think he's far more likely to thrive in a team with both of these attributes: Championship-level; tries to play passing football. March, in contrast, needs to go to a L1 side for a month. And to show that level just how good he is/can be. What he needs to develop is composure at those crucial moments, as it's been entirely lacking on every of numerous occasions this season.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
There has been a transformation where wingers now play on their 'wrong' side, whereas when I were a lad ...
What surprises me more is that CH doesn't swap wingers' sides during the game. I do agree that March might have gained some confidence from running to the byline and whipping in a cross with his left foot. There was good positional exchange between Murphy and Hemed last night though.

Murphy is thankfully, very two footed. I do rate March but in his current position a lot of good counter attack moves break down when he cuts back onto his left and slows play down. Either that or he attempts a hopeless cross on his wrong foot and we lose the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here