Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It runs parallel to Ide Hill. The funker went up Ide, turned round and then went up Yorks.
That would appear to be the route I'd have to take going up from FR.

I see [MENTION=705]Jeep[/MENTION] has thrown in a cheeky little 115 mile ride, already this week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks to this tangent I've just done a really stoooopid thing.

I looked up - http://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/

and then thought:-

'Leith Hill, White Downs, Box Hill, all together'.
'White Lane's a bit out there, but that is on top of, York's and Toys Hill'.
'Pick off The Wall on the way home through Ditchling and Steyning'.

9 of the 100 done in one ride. Piece of piss :triple :facepalm:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

If I was to try that, I'd take no offence if someone ran a competition entitled 'guess where we will find moto crying under a hedge covered in his own faeces?'

I have looked a maxxing my A20 run though. There are loads of up-and-down opportunities if I leave my brain at home.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003

Oh hang on, some of those are on my door step and often get worked into a commute.

Box Hill - a doddle to ride up, not steep at all, the only bother is you will try to overtake everyone else and arrive at the top tired.
Leith Hill - lots of ways up all of them them seem to be a bit steep. The challenge is to do the Leith Hill Octopus - I've not done it as I've too much sense!
White Down - my favourite hill to ride up, it's steep and tough when approached from the south. However, its also narrow and busy with motorists in the rush hour.

Staple Lane - This is my favourite hill to ride down. In the early evening sunshine you get 270 degree views of a well lit London.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
As Don Lock was both a lifelong Albion fan and a keen cyclist, I can only assume he may have some friends that visit this forum, and maybe even post in this thread itself. Rest In Peace, and my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm off to France tomorrow. Mrs M packed my stuff, so I'm ON. Trouble is I've completely neglected the climbing training. #thatsme****edthen. Could be a couple of weeks before it hits strava.

See ya.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK Geeks, what's the considered opinion on riding new routes?

While out with a buddy yesterday, we were chatting about just heading off.
I completely misjudged his feelings (absolutely nothing new there) as I began ripping into him for having a handful of routes.

I didn't think he was being serious as he was saying words to the effect of 'well with my phone, and mapping on my Garmin I probably won't get lost'.
My reply of 'of course you won't get lost, you loon, you're only ever 2 miles away from a helpful signpost', didn't seem to help.

Does anyone else occasional head off in the morning, with a rough idea where they are heading, and not much else?
If I'm doing a biggie I'll study a route map, and perhaps jot down some new village names on the furthest part of the loop.

But I never feel like I'm going to get lost, in the conventional sense of the word.
I might cost myself 5 or 10 miles and have the odd heart in mouth moment, but I've never felt completely lost, even when riding on holiday etc.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I completely misjudged his feelings (absolutely nothing new there) as I began ripping into him for having a handful of routes.

I didn't think he was being serious as he was saying words to the effect of 'well with my phone, and mapping on my Garmin I probably won't get lost'.
My reply of 'of course you won't get lost, you loon, you're only ever 2 miles away from a helpful signpost', didn't seem to help.

Does anyone else occasional head off in the morning, with a rough idea where they are heading, and not much else?
If I'm doing a biggie I'll study a route map, and perhaps jot down some new village names on the furthest part of the loop.

But I never feel like I'm going to get lost, in the conventional sense of the word.
I might cost myself 5 or 10 miles and have the odd heart in mouth moment, but I've never felt completely lost, even when riding on holiday etc.

I often set off with absolutely no idea where I am going. The wind direction then dictates which way I go.

If it's a biggish ride I like to go off down any road with 'Lane' or 'Hill' as part of its name. Many is the time that the position of the sun has been my only guide to the direction I need to take to head for home.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Good question SB. I've only used the bread crumb facility once and that was when going into well uncharted territory. As I have to back at a relatively reasonable time, I normally plan ahead so rarely go exploring. I want to hit the Sussex coast and the lowlands south of Folkestone. If I can ever get away with those biggies, I'll use the bread crumb so I don't have to fanny about with road signs.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

I normally use MapMyride but on occasion have been known to pilfer segments off other riders.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've all got our routes.
But surely the whole point of cycling is the variety of rides we can have.

Yesterday I was gently coerced into riding one of 'my loops' which I had only ridden the week before.
It turns out my mate knew the ride except for 2 or 3 roads, through an area he knows well to the north and south.
Hence my less than compassionate replies to the start of the conversation.

The thought of 'take an extra tube and more haribo' clearly leaves him struck down with fear.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
on occasion have been known to pilfer segments off other riders.
That's all I do.

Hopefully at some point I'll get to a ride that includes the 2 climbs we were talking about the other day.
Stolen straight from Strava, all I have to do is remember the route up from Forest Row and down to Hartfield.
What could possibly go wrong?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was going to tackle the 7 satanic climbs today, but my battery is so unreliable it wouldn't record it - so it's like it doesn't exist!

I piled into Stanford Avenue, Bear Road and Wilson Avenue - I still had Coldean Lane, Elm Grove, Ditchling Beacon and the Devil's Dyke to tackle.

Anyone ever done it in one session?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I was going to tackle the 7 satanic climbs today, but my battery is so unreliable it wouldn't record it - so it's like it doesn't exist!

I piled into Stanford Avenue, Bear Road and Wilson Avenue - I still had Coldean Lane, Elm Grove, Ditchling Beacon and the Devil's Dyke to tackle.

I think you can take the fact that no one responded as a no!

No u nutter!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here