Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
He has written himself in Albion history. He will be forever associated with that howler whether you like it or not. Best for him to start afresh somewhere else

Drummed out because he wrongly assumed Dunk would get something on it and it went through him as a result? Ridiculous.

Don't bother to mention the 7 points HE has won us SINGLE-HANDEDLY for the penalty saves this season. Right. Ok then.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

double dip dave

Nov 1, 2016
Shame if he leaves he will only be remembered for that mistake as the man who lost us the title. Perhaps not on a par with Smith must score but can you remember anything else Gordon Smith done.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Personally if I was given the choice between stephens or stockdale staying it would always be stephens. He will be much much harder to replace than stockdale.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Shame if he leaves he will only be remembered for that mistake as the man who lost us the title. Perhaps not on a par with Smith must score but can you remember anything else Gordon Smith done.
Reckon he'll be remembered more for his double penalty save vs Massive to be fair.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The cold, hard Premier League rational mentality has already begun to seep into some of our fans it seems. I'd truly rather go straight back down with the bunch we have then dismantle the squad and survive. This is a squad full of not only legendary Brighton players, but legendary human beings. Few teams would have clubbed round a teammate grieving for his father like the boys did for Knocky. Few teams would have responded to the Shoreham air disaster like we, and especially Stocko, did. I remember Stocko punching the ground in the first half against Sheff Weds in the second leg last year with so much ferocity I'm surprised he didn't break his hand. He lifted a heartbroken Bruno off the ground that day. He was heartbroken himself yesterday. David Stockdale is an absolute credit to Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club and to the county of Sussex. I am proud that he has worn the crest with so much pride for a Yorkshireman. I will be gutted if it is true and he is leaving.

I am sentimental and I know sentimentality seemingly has no place in modern football these days. But I hope it will have some small place this summer in the hearts of Chris and Tony, even if Big Dave is leaving.

Thank you Stocko, you have replaced Kuipers for me as Albion's hero between the posts since I've been watching them the past 20 years.

But at the end of the day... we are not a charity... at least on our playing side

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not been going long then? :lol:

You must have been going a VERY long time, then.

Stockdale over his time has been a better keeper than any I've seen in 35 years. The only one debatable IMO is Ben Roberts, and he sadly, only played a few games.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Reckon he'll be remembered more for his double penalty save vs Massive to be fair.

I think he'll stay. He doesn't know it yet, hence it was a bit of a wave goodbye perhaps, but in the cold light of day, he'll weigh up 38 Premier League starts against more money but on someone's bench. In terms of remembering him, I've forgotten the equaliser from yesterday already. The double save against Wednesday will live with me forever.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll hazard a guess that's the footage we'll see the most!

Anyhoo, they'll be a pooh load of coming and going over the next 3 months.
If fans still don't have faith in the recruitment team, they probably aren't worth engaging with as they'll never be happy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'll hazard a guess that's the footage we'll see the most!

Anyhoo, they'll be a pooh load of coming and going over the next 3 months.
If fans still don't have faith in the recruitment team, they probably aren't worth engaging with as they'll never be happy.

Get Burke back!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Exactly! The recruitment has been excellent the last couple of years, and if Stockdale and the club can't come to an agreement, then we move on. Thanks for a fantastic season Stockers, and good luck wherever you choose over us. I just hope you don't come to look back on a season spent on Chelsea's bench gave you absolutely zero chance of a late charge at the England squad, whereas our goalie next season will have plenty of opportunities to show what they can do.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
If Stockers goes, we will have one Goalkeeper on cotract, Christian Walton!
A great keeper for the future undoubtedly, but a loan out to a Championship Team next season maybe to continue his experience?
So that looks like we'll be needing to get 2 goalies in the summer then?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Stockdale over his time has been a better keeper than any I've seen in 35 years. The only one debatable IMO is Ben Roberts, and he sadly, only played a few games.

This with shiny bells and knobs on

I think the difference is that both hkfc and I are wizzened old goalkeepers and so perhaps we see things differently, watch the game differently maybe. It's only nature when we are defending a corner or free kick that my attention is drawn to how our keeper is lining up the defence.

Having seen keepers from Peter grummitt to Christian Walton, we have had some total shockers (Graham Smith, Wayne Henderson etc etc). We've also had some bang average ones (Moseley, mark Walton, Cartwright) and some great ones at the end of their career (Corrigan, beasant and Roberts)

But for level of competition, consistency , and status in career I would say Stockdale is the best I have seen.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Sorry...but a footballer is only as good as his last game. Sure they were special moments but he himself would have given up all of those to haid was keep ve saved that shot yesterday and lift that trophy.

Some of the stuff you wrote on this thread I agree whole heartedly on DS with but the one highlighted above I most surely cannot. If that were the case then Knockeart would be crap because he chased down stupid lost balls which all that did was keep ''his personal stats'' for the match up. He offered nothing productive going forward and continually got caught in possession. His chasing of the lost causes left him too knackered to chase back and cover when he needed to.

So if you are only as good as your last game then Knocky is hopeless and most definitely Knocky is not hopeless

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

Complete nonsense. The title is far less important than promotion.

Reading some of the brainless posts on here, you'd think he'd just caused us to be relegated.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Since 1994. Why, who has been a better goalkeeper than Stockdale since then?

Edit: sorry just realised. I totally forgot about NICKY RUST.

The one I was going to throw in has already been mentioned, Corrigan, I would also add Keeley into the mix too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here