Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings: West Brom (h)

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
This summary - 9/10. Just a bit harsh on Propper I think, he was better than that.

Fair comment, I genuinely think there is a lot to come from him and he certainly didn't play badly.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
All these poor scores for Stephens are out of order for me. Up against a an England international in Livermore, a record appearance midfielder in Barry and a 30m quid PSG midfielder on loan. Yeah he took too much time on the ball occasionally, other than that he was excellent.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ryan - 7 - Didn't have much to do but did it well.

Bruno - 6 - Quiet until his substitution
Dunk - 8 - CF never had a sniff
Duffy - 8 - See Dunk
Suttner - 7 - Solid and looks to be growing into his role now

Stephens - 6.5 - Still dallies a little but getting up to Premier league speed quickly
Propper - 7.5 - Looked very good in midfield. Tidy on the ball and retained possession well

Gross - 9 - Really showed his class today. Bit of luck for the first goal but class finish for the 2nd and a super cross for the 3rd
Knockaert - 6.5 - Quiet, but he will be. He's our marked man but it gave the other players more freedom
March - 8 - Would have been higher but had a slow 1st 30 mins (by that I mean a lot of his crosses were just tamely lifted into the keeper's arms). However, I though 2nd half he was superb, especially defensively. At least twice he muscled Burke quietly and efficiently out of play for a goal kick and nullified any danger he offered.

Hemed - 8.5 - Worked like a dog all afternoon, hunted down long balls, laid on an assist for Gross and scored a superb header. Amazing the difference some service makes, eh?

Overall - 8 - West Brom were not at their best and it's a game we needed to win, but we really started to look like the Brighton that was so strong last season again. The difference between top of the championship teams and non-top-7 Premier League teams isn't that much in all honestly. Additionally, all of our new signings now look like they've bedded in a bit more now and are a bit more settled, plus Hemed scored! Given a decent supply line and he'll do that, you know...

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Ryan 7
Made at least one outstanding save. Shows a great attitude. Clearly a great team member. I was in the north and didn't see match of the day - and haven't watched the highlights. However after the game on the screens I caught sight of an incident where he had palmed the ball away and should have done better. Let's hope his lack of height is overcome with growing confidence and less tendency to make mistakes. Deserves a good chance.

Bruno 8
Thought he played well before he went off. Maybe no coincidence that we were a bit headless looking after he went off

Suttner 7
Improving with some nice moments. Time will tell.

Dunk / Duffy 9
Man mountains. For me joint MOM. Awesome performances that I can't seperate. We need to keep both fit and if we do we will always have a chance.

Stephens 6
Seems to be struggling. Always fearing the mistake and not asserting himself as he has before.

Propper 8.5
Very impressed. Looks a great signing with a good attitude. Could get forward more in future.

Knockaert 9
A real flair performance. One minute quiet the next brilliant. Most good things came through him.

March 8
Another good defensive performance. Ok in attack but not quite as influential as he can be. Looks likely to have a great season.

Gross 8.5
You can't knock two goals and an assist! Much improved performance overall. Second goal was soft from a weak shot - but they all count. The first was a real poachers goal. Great assist for Hemed. Looks like a great asset and the type of player we really needed.

Hemed 7.5
Good goal and great effort throughout. His face when he scored said it all! Still a bit slow for me, but still has a key role to play this year.

Not much to say about subs. I though Murray was quite poor and picked up an unnecessary yellow again.

Overall a great team performance. If we show this spirit and build up our confidencecwell be ok.

I took my wife for her first game at the Amex. Normally she doesn't come to the game and says she hates football and if anything supports Liverpool. However she loved it, has made some friends locally and loved the ground atmosphere (and the pie - especially important as she's a caterer). More surprisingly she really enjoyed the game and really loved Knockaert! Now she says she'll come to the game whenever we come down to Brighton - a very unexpected result! So the Amex and the Brighton fans score a big fat 10!

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Ryan - 8 - Commanding and some great saves.
Bruno - 7.5 - Played like Bruno does. Intelligence.
Duffy - 9.5 MOM - Won everything in the air, had one disallowed and one saved. Cant ask for more.
Dunk - 9 - Maturing as a player, with Duffy they kept Rondon and Rodriquez out of the game.
Suttner - 7 - Probably his best game for us.
Knockaert - 7.5 - WBA were worried about him.
Stephens - 6.5 - Not his best game.
Propper - 7 - Showed his class. He will be a big player for us.
March - 7.5 - Was our best player in the last 15/20 minutes. Matched Burke for pace and strength.
Gross - 9 - Confidence grew after his goal, showed what he is about in the second half.
Hemed - 7.5 - top class goal. 1 chance 1 goal.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
All these poor scores for Stephens are out of order for me. Up against a an England international in Livermore, a record appearance midfielder in Barry and a 30m quid PSG midfielder on loan. Yeah he took too much time on the ball occasionally, other than that he was excellent.

Hello Dale

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Ryan - 7.5 Couple of good saves. Much improved performance but he will have more testing games

Bruno - 7.5 Leader. Legend. Beard.
Dunk - 8.5 Solid and commanding. Some exquisite passes
Duffy - 9 Won just about everything in the air and dangerous in attack
Suttner - 6.5 Still not convinced. Hasn't really clicked with March

Knocky - 7.5 The fact that he often had three defenders on his case opened up the spaces
Propper - 7.5 Seems to be settling in. Hopefully more to come
Stephens - 6 Still appears to be well off PL pace. Hopefully he can step up
March - 8 Great defensive work throughout. Blotted his performance with the pathetic dive

Gross - 8.5 Like many, I felt the first 35-40 mins the game was being played around him and he seemed lost. Then look what happened! Hopefully the start of something great.
Hemed - 8 Worked hard and looked so much better with other players getting closer to him. Great set-up for one goal and scored a very difficult header

Rosenoir - 6
Murray - 4 His sulky petulence is going to come back to haunt him eventually. So slow makes Hemed look like Usain Bolt.

Hughton - 7 Think he was helped by WBA deciding not to press us. Still concerned that we just sat back and invited the pressure last 15 minutes.

WBA - Said after 10 mins that WBA were worse than half the sides that I saw at the Amex last season. They were real pony

Word for the ref. Was impressed with him when we had him last season. Both bookings 100% spot on. Let the game flow. Really impressed.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Hello Dale

Nah, there are plenty of us non-ball watchers who can actually see what he does on the pitch without having sky tell us what happens when he's absent. He made a vital interception in the first half at 0-0 that I notice hasn't even been mentioned, but a slight lapse in control is set upon.

His average score on these threads was probably somewhere between 5-6 even last season. Says it all really.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Stephens been poor so far,was happy Bruno came off,was our weak link gave the ball away plenty

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland

Haven't missed a game yet,been very ave

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
On the basis that 6 is a standard game. Not standout, not bad:

Ryan 6.5 - a bit shakey at times, made some important saves

Bruno 7 - good game today, and great linking with Knockaert
Dunk 8 - in contention for MoM, played out of his skin and looked very keen to push forward
Duffy 7 - again, played very well
Suttner 6.5 - not amazing, not bad. Looked as though March was covering for him quite a lot however

Knockaert 8 - great game, bleeds blue and white
Stephens 5 - unfortunately he hasn't stepped up yet. 80% of the time it is side or back passes, or of course taking a 25 year shot
Pröpper 7 - beginning to click, played well
March 8.5 - MoM, defending on point, wish he would take on his man more often

Groß 8 - good game, good goals and assist. Wasn't up to much before that though

Hemed 7 - assist and goal, really happy for him

I know we all have different ideas on players,but I am at a loss to see where Ryan was shakey today

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Nah, there are plenty of us non-ball watchers who can actually see what he does on the pitch without having sky tell us what happens when he's absent. He made a vital interception in the first half at 0-0 that I notice hasn't even been mentioned, but a slight lapse in control is set upon.

His average score on these threads was probably somewhere between 5-6 even last season. Says it all really.

It's his reluctance to pass the ball forwards that seems to be the problem. Always taking the safe option, it looks to me that getting the ball pinched off him, leading to a goal against Man City, might have knocked his confidence.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
A bit late for this, but here goes. My first game of the season and I won't make it to another before Christmas.

Ryan - 6: Really didn't have a great deal to do but made a couple of decent saves. Distribution seems good. Did anyone else notice when he nearly slipped over with the ball at his feet first half? Not out of the woods yet from Leicester away but 1 goal conceded in the past 2 matches is decent.

Bruno - 6: Looks at home at this level and I have to say it's really nice to see him and Knockaert still teaming up on the right (I had a feeling Bruno would be replaced in the summer). He is such a capable footballer despite his age and looks in incredible shape. One of WBA's big failings in this game was failing to attack our full-backs until it was too late. I'm not sure Bruno would have been quite as good against Burke as March was (more on that later) but he can still do a job at this level.

Dunk - 8: Has come on so much, even since last season. He and Duffy are sometimes a bit risky on the ball, but I feel it's something that we have to accept as part of our attacking strategy. His passes out to the wing are, frankly, insane. The only foot he put wrong was being beaten in the air for the late Morrison chance.

Duffy - 9: How many aerial duels has he lost since joining the club? I'm serious. What a defender. Hard as nails, brilliant tackler and just everything you want from a centre back. The £4 million we paid for him looks like an absolute bargain now and if we were offered £20 million for him tomorrow I would honestly turn it down.

Suttner - 6: Not a huge amount to do and I'm still not totally convinced, based on his roastings at the hands of Mahrez and Amrabat. Looks good on the ball and decent enough going forward but would like to see him have a winger in his back pocket at some point.

Knockaert - 7: Tricky without being as dominant as he can be. Looks at home at this level which really pleases me; there were obvious circumstances behind his departure from Leicester but I could never quite shake the feeling he might not have been up to PL level at that stage. He's clearly improved a lot since joining us. Will continue to be a pivotal player in our squad.

Stephens - 6: He was fine, but needs to realise he doesn't have as much time on the ball as Duffy and Dunk. I suspect he still slightly lacks confidence at this level, which is a shame as he is capable. Isn't able to dominate games as much as at Championship level but I'm sure he will adapt.

Propper - 7: I was a bit worried about him after watching the City game and listening to the Leicester game, but I thought he was very good on Saturday. Hardly misplaced a pass and kept the ball moving in the middle of the pitch. One really brilliant pass out to March. As others have said, would like to see what he's capable of going forward (at least in a Brighton shirt...)

March - 8: Utterly staggering defensive work in the second half. Looked like he'd been playing at full-back all his life against a winger that cost well in excess of £10m. For me, that's the sign of a really gifted footballer - someone who can excel in a position unfamiliar to them. Nice cross for the first goal and decent work for the third. I don't think he's had anything other than a good game this season which bodes really well.

Gross - 9: If we are to play with a number 10 we need them to do what Pascal did on Sat; work bloody hard, contribute significantly to our attacking moves and take chances when they come. I thought he took his goals really well, crossed brilliantly for Hemed and made life quite difficult for West Brom.

Hemed - 7: A really wonderful header that for me encapsulates how far his finishing has improved since 2 years ago. Great work for the second goal also. I don't think anyone really thinks he is the answer but he is a good option at this level. Seemed to win more headers than usual which I was not expecting against this opposition! Should start on Friday.

SUBS

Rosenior - 6: I just love this man.

Murray - 5: Don't ever try and get sent off when we've only got 2 fit strikers again.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Have to say I'm in the "Stephens isn't up to it" camp. He tried to blackmail us last year into letting him go as he was ready for Premiership football. Well, he's got that now and he is clearly not ready for it. His reflexes are too slow in this company and someone needs to drill into him that it is permissible for him to pass the ball forward. He has two default positions - pass it sideways or, preferably, kill any forward impetus by passing it backwards. He is a competent footballer but no more and is currently the weak link in the team

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
A bit late for this, but here goes. My first game of the season and I won't make it to another before Christmas.

Ryan - 6: Really didn't have a great deal to do but made a couple of decent saves. Distribution seems good. Did anyone else notice when he nearly slipped over with the ball at his feet first half? Not out of the woods yet from Leicester away but 1 goal conceded in the past 2 matches is decent.

Bruno - 6: Looks at home at this level and I have to say it's really nice to see him and Knockaert still teaming up on the right (I had a feeling Bruno would be replaced in the summer). He is such a capable footballer despite his age and looks in incredible shape. One of WBA's big failings in this game was failing to attack our full-backs until it was too late. I'm not sure Bruno would have been quite as good against Burke as March was (more on that later) but he can still do a job at this level.

Dunk - 8: Has come on so much, even since last season. He and Duffy are sometimes a bit risky on the ball, but I feel it's something that we have to accept as part of our attacking strategy. His passes out to the wing are, frankly, insane. The only foot he put wrong was being beaten in the air for the late Morrison chance.

Duffy - 9: How many aerial duels has he lost since joining the club? I'm serious. What a defender. Hard as nails, brilliant tackler and just everything you want from a centre back. The £4 million we paid for him looks like an absolute bargain now and if we were offered £20 million for him tomorrow I would honestly turn it down.

Suttner - 6: Not a huge amount to do and I'm still not totally convinced, based on his roastings at the hands of Mahrez and Amrabat. Looks good on the ball and decent enough going forward but would like to see him have a winger in his back pocket at some point.

Knockaert - 7: Tricky without being as dominant as he can be. Looks at home at this level which really pleases me; there were obvious circumstances behind his departure from Leicester but I could never quite shake the feeling he might not have been up to PL level at that stage. He's clearly improved a lot since joining us. Will continue to be a pivotal player in our squad.

Stephens - 6: He was fine, but needs to realise he doesn't have as much time on the ball as Duffy and Dunk. I suspect he still slightly lacks confidence at this level, which is a shame as he is capable. Isn't able to dominate games as much as at Championship level but I'm sure he will adapt.

Propper - 7: I was a bit worried about him after watching the City game and listening to the Leicester game, but I thought he was very good on Saturday. Hardly misplaced a pass and kept the ball moving in the middle of the pitch. One really brilliant pass out to March. As others have said, would like to see what he's capable of going forward (at least in a Brighton shirt...)

March - 8: Utterly staggering defensive work in the second half. Looked like he'd been playing at full-back all his life against a winger that cost well in excess of £10m. For me, that's the sign of a really gifted footballer - someone who can excel in a position unfamiliar to them. Nice cross for the first goal and decent work for the third. I don't think he's had anything other than a good game this season which bodes really well.

Gross - 9: If we are to play with a number 10 we need them to do what Pascal did on Sat; work bloody hard, contribute significantly to our attacking moves and take chances when they come. I thought he took his goals really well, crossed brilliantly for Hemed and made life quite difficult for West Brom.

Hemed - 7: A really wonderful header that for me encapsulates how far his finishing has improved since 2 years ago. Great work for the second goal also. I don't think anyone really thinks he is the answer but he is a good option at this level. Seemed to win more headers than usual which I was not expecting against this opposition! Should start on Friday.

SUBS

Murray - 5: Don't ever try and get sent off when we've only got 2 fit strikers again.

I think you nailed it.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
Have to say I'm in the "Stephens isn't up to it" camp. He tried to blackmail us last year into letting him go as he was ready for Premiership football. Well, he's got that now and he is clearly not ready for it. His reflexes are too slow in this company and someone needs to drill into him that it is permissible for him to pass the ball forward. He has two default positions - pass it sideways or, preferably, kill any forward impetus by passing it backwards. He is a competent footballer but no more and is currently the weak link in the team

It was complete blur watching live, but the second replay of Duffy's saved headed chance from a corner clearly shows Stephens being pushed to prevent him hitting in the rebound off the goalie's gloves. Odd if no one called for a penalty after the ball was scrambled out for a throw or another corner...

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

SUBS

Excellent review and agree with all of that especially the review of Stephens who I fully expect to develop into a top, solid midfielder at this level.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's his reluctance to pass the ball forwards that seems to be the problem. Always taking the safe option, it looks to me that getting the ball pinched off him, leading to a goal against Man City, might have knocked his confidence.

Was that the same game he gifted the best chance of the game to Murphy at 0 - 0 via a *shock horror* forwards pass?

Typical bollocks from biased twits who still have bees in their bonnets about last Summer, even though he has handled himself like a model pro.

If you think all he does is pass sideways and backwards then you honestly need your eyes testing. He recycles possession a lot because that is his job, his job is not to have marauding runs and drive us forward. His passing accuracy along the ground is extremely good and often does so (FORWARDS) with his first touch and he's pretty good with a flighted ball too as evidenced recently vs City. I would argue that his admitted indecisiveness on the ball is nothing whatsoever to do with the step up, rather learning how his new partner operates aswell as Gross who frequently drops in. Also, try to look what he does off the ball a bit more and how he breaks up opposition play.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here