Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking for an Albion fan from the LGBTQ community

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
You didn't read a word of my post, did you.

If the magazine is wanting to write an article on being a gay black woman, they are not going to ask a straight white man.

It all depends on what the content of the article is.

If the poster said "I'm looking for an albion fan to write an article about Brighton's promotion", you don't expect a Sunderland fan to say "hey, why does it need to be a Brighton fan?"

I read your post, you asked my opinion, which I have given. Also the OP says he is looking for a gay albuon collumnist, I asked ,if it's about the games ect why would a gay man opinion be different? Unless we were playing someone like cardiff and heard "we can see you holding hands ect" would it really matter on sexuality? I think it you that's not reading things

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
In my experience (I go regulary to games with a gay man) I sometimes hear ,from rival fans, the usual "we can see you holding hands ect" but other than that no, I don't hear or see any homophobia abuse and if I was a gay man and a rival fans said "oi f**** poof" I would either take that as "poof" thinking I'm a weakling or "poof" as in a homosexual, either way not that offensive, if someone called me "cracker" or "honky" or a group of gay men called me "ruler" or "f**** straight" I couldn't muster enough energy to get even mildly annoyed and its true,however as I said I very rarely hear any homophobia apart from a few songs which we have embraced "you're to ugly to be gay" ect, and we still sing "you're Welsh and you know you are" or "sheep shaggers" or "we pay your benefits" or "sign on" depending on regional areas does that mean we are anti unemployed, anti Welsh ect

For the love of God, use a full stop or 2.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I read your post, you asked my opinion, which I have given. Also the OP says he is looking for a gay albuon collumnist, I asked ,if it's about the games ect why would a gay man opinion be different? Unless we were playing someone like cardiff and heard "we can see you holding hands ect" would it really matter on sexuality? I think it you that's not reading things

If you'd read the thread and seen Frutos's post about the content of previous articles by that contributor (him), you'd know if isn't 'about the games ect', it's about matters specifically affecting and involving the LGBTQ community, on which members of that community are clearly more able to provide insightful commentary.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Of course that's the end game. Are you suggesting we are there now? If not, then you are de facto acknowledging the need for such a column, to highlight how far we still have to go.
No we are not, that's why it is called the end game. My point is that the OP doesn't want someone from the LGBT community that thinks the same about football than all the other fans. They want someone that can highlight the segregated excluded feeling of an individual from the LGBT community about football or at least with a bit of football thrown in. That doesn't really sit well with me. If we are ever to achieve the end game, we need to teach our kids that no one should be treated differently based on sexual orientation and to do that we need not highlight those that feel excluded. Rather we need to ignore the exclusion and difference as if it we not there and any fan or anyone else in the game that doesn't accept that, needs throwing out and banning. IMHO that is the only way to combat homophobia in football.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
For the love of God, use a full stop or 2.

Sorry on phone, you're lucky it even makes sense and aren't you being a little padantic you GRAMMERIST!!
I'll be starting a group a see if I can get funding from goverment and sponsors to stop people like you picking on people with poor grammar!!!
You fascist!!! It's MY right to use full stops and commas wherever I like, don't take my freedom!!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If you'd read the thread and seen Frutos's post about the content of previous articles by that contributor (him), you'd know if isn't 'about the games ect', it's about matters specifically affecting and involving the LGBTQ community, on which members of that community are clearly more able to provide insightful commentary.

Thank you. I was just about to post what Frutos said below:

"If further clarification is required, I'll provide it: the column is about life as an Albion fan from an LGBTQ perspective. Previous columns have talked about such things as the Albion's involvement in Pride, legislation against homophobic chanting and behaviour at football, a profile of Justin Fashanu, the prospect of openly-gay players etc... "

HOW is this so DIFFICULT for some people to understand?

It's ok. Don't worry. Straight people are not being discriminated against.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

You're still not actually reading my post or the other one's which CLEARLY explained why they are seeking a LGBTQ writer.

You're wrong. You've misunderstood.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley

So you're looking for issues , I've been called a "fat ****" been told to "have a shave" (when I had huge sideburns) as well as speccy (on rare occasions I've worn my glasses) "brighton scum" and I've also called a ref a "bald ****" and told him he needs glasses.
I have no prejudices agaisnt people with glasses or hair loss issues, maybe I should right a fattest,hairy, glasses column explained how hurt I was

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So you're looking for issues , I've been called a "fat ****" been told to "have a shave" (when I had huge sideburns) as well as speccy (on rare occasions I've worn my glasses) "brighton scum" and I've also called a ref a "bald ****" and told him he needs glasses.
I have no prejudices agaisnt people with glasses or hair loss issues, maybe I should right a fattest,hairy, glasses column explained how hurt I was

Wow.

That's some top diggy rambling going on.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nope, that's YOUR opinion, I gave MY opinion, so neither of us are wrong we just don't agree
Ok

Let me ask you this and I'll leave it.

If there was an article about being disabled and attending football matches, would you be equally as upset if the magazine asked for a writer who has a disability to write it?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sorry on phone, you're lucky it even makes sense and aren't you being a little padantic you GRAMMERIST!!
I'll be starting a group a see if I can get funding from goverment and sponsors to stop people like you picking on people with poor grammar!!!
You fascist!!! It's MY right to use full stops and commas wherever I like, don't take my freedom!!

Isn't that GRAMMARIST :wink:

Are you setting up a POOr Grammar And Spelling group

Although I don't think this particular magazine is looking for that sort of person. If they were HB&B would have been first in line

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Nope, that's YOUR opinion, I gave MY opinion, so neither of us are wrong we just don't agree

Are you saying that homophobic chanting is just 'banter' and people shouldn't find it offensive, because you haven't found a few examples of unrelated personal abuse offensive before? And therefore anti-homophobic chanting legislation is a ridiculous imposition, because people don't actually dislike the chants? (You'd know because you go to games with a gay man)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

:) I liked that. But I would then start an "ant-anti-grammarist" movement. This would involve arranging punch-ups over the use
of semi-colons with your lot, fist fights over apostrophes and random mild chafing of all people who use the word 'basically'.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
:thumbsup:

I'm sure I'll be able to make it work - I already have an idea or two for future articles.

Being a fan in exile I'm sure there is many a social commentary you could offer. What it's like on a match day now you cannot be in regular attendance for example.

Glad you have finally made the move. Hope you enjoy your new life in the north east.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Being a fan in exile I'm sure there is many a social commentary you could offer. What it's like on a match day now you cannot be in regular attendance for example.

Glad you have finally made the move. Hope you enjoy your new life in the north east.

Thank you, I certainly think it will make for an interesting perspective to add to the range on offer in TAM.

[emoji106]

Th

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here