Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Former Army man to be prosecuted!

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I might be wrong but the 'comfort letters' that appeared to grant immunity to suspects were deemed illegal so anyone caught could still face prosecution for their crimes. The other aspect relates to convicted terrorists being freed from prison as part of the agreement. In other words, those that have been successfully tried were freed but those on the run are still open to prosecution, if they are caught!

You could very well be right about that (bit of a grey area). But not publicly seen a lot of intent/movement of bringing known (previously un-prosecuted) terrorists brought in. Seems to be a bit one sided.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
:lol:

I thought that the whole spirit of the GFA was immunity across the board, and not to allow individual cases to be subsequently brought. If this soldier is to be tried, then Magee and all the others should be banged up again!

On a more frivolous note, am I the only one who, hearing the phrase 'Northern Ireland Assembly', had a mental picture of Adams and Paisley sitting cross legged and singing 'Morning Has Broken'?!

Only 2 soldiers have been convicted of murder in N.I. - both were sentenced to life imprisonment - one was released from prison on licence after less than 2 years and continued service in the British Army - the other was released on appeal after the verdict was overturned.

The Good Friday agreement included a condition that no sentence for terrorist offences committed in N.I. during the troubles, (including murder), would be greater than 2 years. So although no amnesty for British Soldiers has ever been agreed it would seem that in practical terms one is in force. To extend the amnesty to soldiers and police would infer that any unlawful acts they committed were ones of terrorism.

The Public Prosecution Service in N.I. Is considering charges against 18 soldiers and 2 Official IRA members over the killing of 13 people on Bloody Sunday.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Disgusting

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here