Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] FAO Cornwall dwelling fans

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
Are there many of you down that end of the country?

Got a strong possibility of a job down there; so was wondering what it's like supporting the team from so far away?
Obviously a b*stard drive for home games (and away's) - but does anyone do it regularly with any tips/advice?
Looking at living around the Truro area, so not a problem for TV games (I hope) - but would rather be there if feasible?

Thanks in advance.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Are there many of you down that end of the country?

Got a strong possibility of a job down there; so was wondering what it's like supporting the team from so far away?
Obviously a b*stard drive for home games (and away's) - but does anyone do it regularly with any tips/advice?
Looking at living around the Truro area, so not a problem for TV games (I hope) - but would rather be there if feasible?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about Cornwall, but last season, we got talking to two ladies in Dicks Bar, who travel up from Devon, most home games, either staying in a hotel or catching the right timed train back to Devon.
Not sure if they post on here, but they it didn't seem to phase them.

goldstonegull

Feb 18, 2009
plymouth
3 of us from Plymouth are season tkt holders. Only missed 3 home games all season and that was over Xmas. It is a long way, aways up and back a day. If you could make your way up to Plymouth you can always jump in with us

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I live near Helston when I'm in England. Might as well be Borneo, it is one hell of a way to Brighton or anywhere. But then I'm used to being an exile. You can fly Newquay-Gatwick on flybe, which does take a lot of the drag out of the journey, and cheaper too if just one of you

Great place to live though, so much life and vitality in Cornwall, kicks sleepy Devon's arse. When the sun is shining there is nowhere I'd rather be.

If you do do it we should meet up when we're on the telly

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have a place down there fairly near Penzance and I have caught a few games in The Longboat Inn when I go down there. Going to games? Well it's miles from anywhere, Get to know Newquay airport and get used to the faff.

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
3 of us from Plymouth are season tkt holders. Only missed 3 home games all season and that was over Xmas. It is a long way, aways up and back a day. If you could make your way up to Plymouth you can always jump in with us

That's a fantastic effort! Same day there and back, or do you stop over? What's the average journey time for you?

I live near Helston when I'm in England. Might as well be Borneo, it is one hell of a way to Brighton or anywhere. But then I'm used to being an exile. You can fly Newquay-Gatwick on flybe, which does take a lot of the drag out of the journey, and cheaper too if just one of you

Great place to live though, so much life and vitality in Cornwall, kicks sleepy Devon's arse. When the sun is shining there is nowhere I'd rather be.

So what about when the sun isn't shining? Still a great place to live? And would definitely have a beer for TV games - nothing worse than being the only Brighton fan in a pub during a game (especially these days)!

Start supporting Plymouth Argyle, far cheaper, far less hassle.

:shootself

I have a place down there fairly near Penzance and I have caught a few games in The Longboat Inn when I go down there. Going to games? Well it's miles from anywhere, Get to know Newquay airport and get used to the faff.

Is the faff better or worse than relying on a southern train? :smile:

Where about near Helston?

goldstonegull

Feb 18, 2009
plymouth
That's a fantastic effort! Same day there and back, or do you stop over? What's the average journey time for you?

So what about when the sun isn't shining? Still a great place to live? And would definitely have a beer for TV games - nothing worse than being the only Brighton fan in a pub during a game (especially these days)!

:shootself

Is the faff better or worse than relying on a southern train? :smile:

Takes us on average 41/2 hrs each way, can be 6hrs. in the summer, very rare do we stay over.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I lived way down the end of Cornwall for a couple of years (near Camborne most of the time then Threemilestone for the last six months) and met quite a few other exiles. We all met up a couple of times in a pub on the beach somewhere on the north coast (memory going) but I usually just went into Truro on the odd occasion we were on telly back then.

Just getting from Truro to Devon is a long way and makes for a far longer drive than just travelling from Plymouth. It always made me laugh that friends living in Yeovil lived nearer to Brighton than Truro yet called themselves West Country. That end of Cornwall is seriously West. 100 miles just to Exeter.

We did a few games both home and away from down there, but once the nearest team in the same division was Bristol City - a mere 180 Miles from Truro - we decided it was time to move back!

I love Cornwall and really enjoyed living down there, but it’s a bloody long way from anywhere and I ended up hating the A30.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Son lives in perranporth Cornish seagull
His son my grandson always wearing his Brighton kits around perranporth according to his mum he lives in the bloody kit lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

To be honest - its wet. And there are several months a year when you wish they would turn off the wind machine. But the surf is good year round, and like I say, when the sun shines and you have a choice of 15 wonderful beaches within half an hour of your house, its awesome

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I have a couple of times, how are you.
Always amazes me how you do that so often, that evening game was a killer and I wasn't driving, fair play.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I lived way down the end of Cornwall for a couple of years (near Camborne most of the time then Threemilestone for the last six months) and met quite a few other exiles. We all met up a couple of times in a pub on the beach somewhere on the north coast (memory going) but I usually just went into Truro on the odd occasion we were on telly back then.

Just getting from Truro to Devon is a long way and makes for a far longer drive than just travelling from Plymouth. It always made me laugh that friends living in Yeovil lived nearer to Brighton than Truro yet called themselves West Country. That end of Cornwall is seriously West. 100 miles just to Exeter.

We did a few games both home and away from down there, but once the nearest team in the same division was Bristol City - a mere 180 Miles from Truro - we decided it was time to move back!

I love Cornwall and really enjoyed living down there, but it’s a bloody long way from anywhere and I ended up hating the A30.

Was that pub The Watering Hole on the beach at Perrenporth?
We met up with Cornish Seagull for the Liverpool FA Cup match a few years back.
What a pub that is BTW especially in the summer.

:bowdown::bowdown: And we moan about the 35' drive to Lewes, the station car park and the queue for the trains after the game :)

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Son lives in perranporth Cornish seagull
His son my grandson always wearing his Brighton kits around perranporth according to his mum he lives in the bloody kit lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is COMPLETELY off-topic, but how is Cornish these days? Used to follow his progress on the 'NHS leg pain' thread (as well as that of our other cancer sufferers), but he hasn't updated that for a while.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here