Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Need to get train from London Victoria to Worthing tonight after work.

Anyone know how today's services have gone and are shaping up? I've mentally prepared myself for the worst..

I have the same journey to make, following our Xmas do at Canary Wharf. I've taken out insurance*

* I've booked a 23:30 National Express coach from Vic Coach Station to Worthing (£15) just in case. And to answer your question, I don't know, yet; but I expect the service to degrade as the evening goes on, as the Aslef staff come off shift and don't do overtime.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
Need to get train from London Victoria to Worthing tonight after work.

Anyone know how today's services have gone and are shaping up? I've mentally prepared myself for the worst..

As the afternoon goes on, have a look here:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/basic/VIC/2016/12/15/1800

It's the most accurate site I've found for the latest train information. I've used 1800 as the start time, but you can refine this via the home page:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/

Good luck!

albionite

May 20, 2009
https://abcommuters.wordpress.com/2...rsdays-southernfail-protest-how-you-can-help/

Your complete guide to Thursday’s #SouthernFail protest: How You Can Help

Thursday’s march from Victoria to the Department for Transport is organised by ABC, the pressure group soon to undertake a judicial review of the government’s handling of Southern Rail.
dft-protest-graphic

We are seeing nothing but inflammatory and “politically motivated” statements from the Transport Minister at a time when he is already six months late in stepping in to solve this unprecedented rail crisis. His complete lack of assertive and transparent action puts him in total dereliction of his duty to the public.

Most worrying of all is the suggestion that the Department for Transport has been blocking a resolution to the dispute behind the scenes. This is a question we now urgently need the answer to. If it is indeed the case, we are going through these excruciating strikes for nothing!

What is rotten in Southern Rail started long before the current industrial action; which now takes place on top of a broken infrastructure, chronic understaffing and a company whose relations with the public have irretrievably broken.

Our demands to the DfT include: 1) urgent and transparent intervention into the industrial dispute 2) a fully independent public inquiry into the collapse of Southern Rail 3) transparency from the government in the form of answers to our crowdsourced questions. If Chris Grayling will not take these actions, he should immediately resign.

How You Can Help:

Join the protest tomorrow and bring along as many fellow-sufferers as possible! There will be free mince pies, carol singing, a Facebook live stream and many other stunts, including a big media presence at the DfT for you to state your views to the press directly.
Share the protest on Facebook
Retweet the protest on Twitter
Send a copy of our Open Letter to chris.grayling.mp@parliament.uk, copying in your MP
open-letter-to-chris-grayling

Send a copy of our PDF of “Urgent questions for the DfT” to chris.grayling.mp@parliament.uk and your MP
urgent-questions-for-the-department-for-transport

Sign up now to our Thunderclap, part of our simultaneous online protest for those who can’t make it! This mass social media action starts from 5pm and is already set to reach 300,000 people – this could be one million by tomorrow. It is sure to be followed by a Twitter storm like no other: so, stay online, participate, and watch the ABC Twitter and Facebook for our live videos from the protest. Don’t forget to tell the press and MPs how the Southern Rail crisis has affected you, using the hashtags #SouthernFail or #GraylingMustResign
Volunteering

Anyone coming to the protest who can help with printing A4 black and white documents please get in touch. There will be other roles we need help with on the day, so please get in touch if you’d like to help.

Guests

We are expecting a diverse attendance of guests, a lot of press, and are also hoping to welcome an MP or two. All are welcome to attend and speak to our ABC media team for broadcast, but we ask that there are no banners from trades unions or political parties. This request is made in order to focus all attention on the urgent problem at hand in a climate that has been wilfully and unforgivably driven to a crisis.

9f5338844ddba05b2fff4dc6fb44bef2.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Truly fecked off right now, so the wife is on the train home and gets a message from work urgent meeting scheduled for Friday9am. She was scheduled to work from home which is not the issue but how to get to Camden before 9am... The only guarantee was go straight back up and stay at a work colleagues... Another night no stories from mummy at bedtime. I absolutely hate the government, grayling, southern and the fecking unions the lot of them are c@nts...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Truly fecked off right now, so the wife is on the train home and gets a message from work urgent meeting scheduled for Friday9am. She was scheduled to work from home which is not the issue but how to get to Camden before 9am... The only guarantee was go straight back up and stay at a work colleagues... Another night no stories from mummy at bedtime. I absolutely hate the government, grayling, southern and the fecking unions the lot of them are c@nts...

It's exactly stuff like this that SASTA, the Government and the militants (all guilty to varying degrees) are causing that pisses me off. I'm very lucky in that I can work from home equally effectively, but really feel for anyone that doesn't have that option. They are ******* peoples lives up, and there is no end in sight to it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It's exactly stuff like this that SASTA, the Government and the militants (all guilty to varying degrees) are causing that pisses me off. I'm very lucky in that I can work from home equally effectively, but really feel for anyone that doesn't have that option. They are ******* peoples lives up, and there is no end in sight to it.

It's the knock effects, not many think about. Now I have just put the little one to bed, she knows mums gone back to work and upset because she won't see her in the morning, so will probably wake up in an hour or so and I will have to take her to our bed and reassure her. I have to tidy up, get all her stuff ready for school on my own, text my boss and tell him I will be in late and ask to change my first appointments and promise to make up the time. That does not include worrying about how she will get home, or if I will have collect her from somewhere half way or whatever. What's worse is there is no end in sight and we pay 5k for this feckin bollox...

Where else in the world do you get service like this for that....

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Last nights journey home from Victoria to Worthing...5:46 was cancelled, 6:17 was delayed by about 20 minutes...Was slow running losing more time all the way to Haywards Heath after about 10 minutes the driver put an announcement out that there was no conductor and so the train would terminate here. Caught a train to Brighton and changed for Worthing. All in all took over an extra hour and was ridiculously frustrating (even though I tried to mentally prepare myself for the worse).

I just do not get how people are doing it daily still though. I had to move to London for this very reason, that I could no longer put up with Southern. Last nights journey has confirmed that although moving to London has had drawbacks, overall it was the right decision. Honestly think dealing with the trains every day would have given me serious mental issues.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Last nights journey home from Victoria to Worthing...5:46 was cancelled, 6:17 was delayed by about 20 minutes...Was slow running losing more time all the way to Haywards Heath after about 10 minutes the driver put an announcement out that there was no conductor and so the train would terminate here. Caught a train to Brighton and changed for Worthing. All in all took over an extra hour and was ridiculously frustrating (even though I tried to mentally prepare myself for the worse).

I just do not get how people are doing it daily still though. I had to move to London for this very reason, that I could no longer put up with Southern. Last nights journey has confirmed that although moving to London has had drawbacks, overall it was the right decision. Honestly think dealing with the trains every day would have given me serious mental issues.

The driver probably lives in Haywards Heath and fancied an early night...They seem to do what they want....but never forget the real reason for it all....ITS ALL FOR OUR SAFETY!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's the knock effects, not many think about. Now I have just put the little one to bed, she knows mums gone back to work and upset because she won't see her in the morning, so will probably wake up in an hour or so and I will have to take her to our bed and reassure her. I have to tidy up, get all her stuff ready for school on my own, text my boss and tell him I will be in late and ask to change my first appointments and promise to make up the time. That does not include worrying about how she will get home, or if I will have collect her from somewhere half way or whatever. What's worse is there is no end in sight and we pay 5k for this feckin bollox...

Your family have my absolute sympathy, you truly do, and please remember that when you read on.

For me, having a young child and commuting most days from the Sussex coast are really difficult things to handle. Even when the trains are running well, you're still facing the possibility of not seeing your child on any given day. I note you're in Brighton, which is better than Worthing from a commuting perspective, but it's still a long day. I'd have to be out of the house around 6:30, when my son was still in bed, and be back home around 7, shortly before he went to bed. I was able to work from home a fair bit, but when I wasn't I almost became a weekend Dad, even though we lived under the same roof.

The problem for many, when taking a London job, is they become accustomed to the inflated salary and their spending, possibly including a mortgage, become dependent upon that level of income. From my own experiences, I'd strongly urge anyone considering commuting up to London to think long and hard about it, and consider leading a cheaper life (smaller house, older car, less meals out, less exotic holidays - whatever cheaper may mean) with a less lucrative, but more local, job.

Kids being little passes far too quickly - you don't want to miss it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I did get a train home last night, the 11:17 from Victoria to Worthing.

Interestingly, we 'lost' our conductor at Haywards Heath, and the driver took great joy in telling us that GTR were to blame and he was going to go to Brighton instead.

We stopped at Burgess Hill, Hassocks and Preston Park, and at each station he made a point of waiting for 5 minutes, and telling us that he was unable to see the screens to ensure that platforms were clear. It seemed a little over the top - making a point.

He said, we'd be unlikely to get a conductor at brighton, so we'd be stuck there. We DID get a conductor though, so we went back along the coast, so I made sure I thanked him for saving us.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I did get a train home last night, the 11:17 from Victoria to Worthing.

Interestingly, we 'lost' our conductor at Haywards Heath, and the driver took great joy in telling us that GTR were to blame and he was going to go to Brighton instead.

We stopped at Burgess Hill, Hassocks and Preston Park, and at each station he made a point of waiting for 5 minutes, and telling us that he was unable to see the screens to ensure that platforms were clear. It seemed a little over the top - making a point.

He said, we'd be unlikely to get a conductor at brighton, so we'd be stuck there. We DID get a conductor though, so we went back along the coast, so I made sure I thanked him for saving us.

Was it a Southern train?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here