Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Naylor says it's all over - no ins and no outs for bhafc

That's not *quite* how it was: "An update. Never say never with over 8 hours left but latest word is moving towards maintaining status quo, no more ins or outs. #bhafc"

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

A bit confused by some of the comments about not signing a striker.. I have no doubt that we have tried incredibly hard to sign a striker. In fact, unusually, CH has been very open about the fact that he would like one. No doubt Pritchard was one target to boost attacking options, but I am sure there would have been others. That we haven't signed one (assuming nothing comes out of the woodwork now) then why do some take a tone that the Club has cocked it up? Look at the prices that have been paid for Championship Strikers.. £11m for a lad who has played 1 season in the Championship, McCormack for similar, £7m (?) for Vydra who wasn't a regular are three that spring to mind. We cannot compete with that.. we have never been able to compete with that. Norwich, Villa, Newcastle, Derby all pushing the values higher and higher beyond the reach of most. Our approach doesn't seemed to have changed, albeit we are paying more and more for players.. The better statement of our ambition is not selling our best players to those clubs for huge amounts of money. We were close last year, stronger this year (on paper) at the back, in midfield and similar up front.. whether that is good enough we all wait to see, but I cant see why it is a perceived "lack of ambition"?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm usually quite optimistic and chilled about these kind of things, but not signing a striker will prove to be a massive **** up, which will undoubtedly result in another season in the Championship, which leads to the prospect of losing Kayal and Stephens for nothing and Dunk, Goldson & Knockaert wanting out to get PL football.

Naylor has already confirmed the club IS trying to sign a striker but other chairmen don't want to sell.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Nothing to stop us signing Robson Kanu or any other free agent tomorrow, as far as I know.

Bugger just heard he is on his way to West Brom! There are others out there.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Plan B is Elvis.

th

th

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Shabby that an English born player is behaving this way. Could of understanded it if it had been a foriegner, as they are only here for the benefits. At least the other English players such as Stockdale Bruno and Dunk dont behave that way

Regards

DR

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless he has a complete volte-face, not selling Stephens is a big mistake. Now one of our best players, if not the best, is unhappy and doesn’t want to be here. That leaves us with a weakened central midfield, the hallmark of our success last season. As for the striker, it sounds like the club put all its eggs in Alex Pritchard's basket and when that deal went wrong (no blame can be attached to the club) we've been left with few other options for a No 10. I have long though CH’s desire for a number 10 may be a distraction from just buying striker who can score more goals than Baldock or even Hemed. For a club which missed out on promotion to the Premier League by the slimmest of margins, not to find a pacey forward all summer has to go down as a failure.
As it is, we look vulnerably short up front. With just three strikers everyone better pray that Glenn Murray doesn't get injured.

If we keep Stephens, and if he doesn't sulk and plays full out to his best ability alongside Kayak I won't be too unhappy with this summer's business. Yes, it would have been nice (still would be!) to get a fast, skilful, 20+ goal striker in, but if we have Kayal and Stephens firing on all cylinders (and we've got pretty decent back up to cover injuries and suspensions - which we have) there are goals throughout this team.
Once AK and Skalak arrived last season, we scored plenty - with effectively only two properly fit strikers (Bobby Z had finally reached his last legs, and Wilson..........enough said!)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
At the start of the window I said "All we need is a proven goal scorer and to keep our best players"

We kept our best players and added Murray. I'd be arguing with myself if I didn't take that as good work all round.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
James Wilson was a youth loan last year. Any player young enough, no transfer window restriction, can be recalled after 28 days.

That's interesting. What is the age limit? And what lengths of loans are allowed?

Edit: It does look from this - http://the72.co.uk/57887/change-efl-leads-loan-deal-changes/ - as if the only concession to the loan window restrictions for young players is the ability to recall them after 28 days, not to borrow them whenever.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have no idea who plan B was but it was probably running in conjunction with plan A - So **** knows what happened to plan B

Plan C is probably a League One striker so best avoided given our record with them :lolol:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
At the start of the window I said "All we need is a proven goal scorer and to keep our best players"

We kept our best players and added Murray (and signed Duffy, Norwood and Pocognoli). I'd be arguing with myself if I didn't take that as good work all round.

FFA

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Once again - THERE IS NO LOAN WINDOW.

It's over for all clubs until January after today, no loans, nothing. That gravy train was stopped by the INTERFERING EUFA.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That's interesting. What is the age limit? And what lengths of loans are allowed?
I don't know the age limit without looking it up, something like under 19 at the start of the season ?

The loan length can be all season, but as mentioned is recallable at any time after 28 days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here