Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we actually want to go up ?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
The reason we've been able to see quality football and our team in the top half of the table is because Mr Bloom has been willing to spend £10 million on us every year. He doesn't want to do that, so our current position is unsustainable. We need to get promoted tp balance the books.

There's a good chance we'd come back down anyway, and you could enjoy some more Championship football in the future.

Those of us that experienced our time in the top league soon realised that although signing expensive players on top wages we were having to play very defensive teams one up meant a lone player on the half way line,fortunately i did not have a season ticket in those days and was able to attend as and when clubs in the lower half of the table were visiting us, waiting for entertaining games meant missing a fair number of matches,it was quite a relief when we dropped back into the second division

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
My take on it has always been, and still is, that yes, I would like to get promoted to the Premier League, but me-h, I won't lose much sleep over it if we never do.

I want to be realistic how many matches at the Amex will be entertaining with us playing some of the best teams in Europe,Championship every time

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another thread title to send me reaching for my thesaurus (to look up a polite alternative to 'Zika infected cockwomble') :wozza::shootself:shrug:

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
We definitely want to go up for financial reasons. Tony fully deserves to recoup some of his colossal outlay, though I'm sure he'd also invest wisely.

After 33 years of hurt I'd definitely take some more seasons at the top, though I do think being near the top of this league is the best fun as a supporter.

When we were in Div 1 before, the crowds actually dipped quite a bit from the two promotion chasing seasons, while we struggled to stay up & of course won fewer games. Be interesting to see what happens with numbers if we did do as well as say Bournemouth or Watford have this year (not discounting that we could be Forest 78 or Leicester 16 you understand!).

Looking at today's PL table, as a club we probably would consider ourselves as equivalent to or bigger than half the teams there, so what is there to stop us doing all right?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Looking at today's PL table, as a club we probably would consider ourselves as equivalent to or bigger than half the teams there, so what is there to stop us doing all right?

19 sides, okay 18 sides (Palarse)

You didn't say it couldn't be a silly answer.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The fact that we are 4 points away from promotion shows that we have outgrown what you would call "our level" of football.
I would choose promotion in a heartbeat regardless of whether we came straight back down or not.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Want to be possibly 4 divisions above Pompey too..well u get my point

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
At the risk of sounding like a numpty....

I was thinking back to the Hereford game and one part of what I wished for came true that day, the other part of having our own ground, being a team in the Championship holding our own, with good cup runs etc has now come true. However we have it appears come to that point we were told would not come we are about to break through our "ceiling" and could possibly reach the Premiership.

Do we / you actually want that ?

I have always thought the Championship is our level, a good Championship team with "real" fans and a chairman that loves the club...

If we go up, if. if, if things will change big time...

Mercenary players on big wages would be linked with us and come to us at some point.

Would you be happy going straight back down, will we panic and get rid of Chris with three months to go and get big sam in or another firefighter in..

What is our aim, to establish ourselves as a Southampton style team eventually, lets face it Europe would never happen, this season the Leicester thing will never happen for another 20 odd years at least.

Matches changed and dictated at the drop of a hat by Sky.

Plastic fans.

Are there things you will miss in the lower leagues ?

A little but of me will be sad leaving the real world of Bovril football, and joining the rest of the Prawn Sandwich brigade....

Having said that....

Lets do it....
Have you ever actually been to the AMEX or a premier league ground to compare it against ? It doesn't sound like you have with the "bovril football" comment

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Yes of course we want to go up.

That moment of joy, if it were to happen.

The team and club deserve it.

Would we have a bit of a naff season next year? Quite possibly, but in 2 or 3 seasons time, we could well be having a great time.

Anyhow, i've been trying not to think ahead to that possibilty, damn you!

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Never understood attitudes such as OP's. If you don't wan't your team to play at the highest possible level, why even bother going? What's the point of even having league tables? Or promotion or relegation or play-offs? You might as well go support your local non-league team where you can drink beer on the terraces to your heart's content and be home in time for tea.

Got it one.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Got it one.

Sorry should be got it in one.Further point promotion could work against me but I want it.Living in Oz but coming home every aug/sept I get to see games and in the past tickets have been no problem.However I would think the first few games in the pl would find tickets hard to come by and might give me a real problem.Linked to another thread,touts have their uses.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I can't be arsed to read the thread but I understand it.

Leicester this season have ****ed it for teams similar to us.
I have said for a couple of years now that I love the championship.
I'd love for us to make the next step.
But at what cost.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Nobody doesn't want their team in the PL. Fans, chairmen, players, everyone.

Sometimes, when people are afraid that they may not get what they really want, they convince themselves beforehand that they don't really want it. To avoid the pain if they don't get it.

All you people saying you are not fussed will all be p*ssing your pants and dancing around naked if we go up.

I find this kind of thread insulting to our players, who want nothing more than to play at the highest level. If only for them, we should want to go up. They deserve it, it's what they earn from winning. You might as well ask the question, "do we really want to win games? Perhaps it would be better to draw and lose afew, perhaps we would be happier that way?" - Give over.

There are things about lower leagues which in some ways are more romantic than the PL, that's fair enough to point out, but get some perspective please.

Yes, agree absolutely. The many years of mediocrity have bred some sort of psychological state in some Albion fans, albeit subconsciously. I recall the promotion to the then first division, and seeing letters of complaint because the fans had to arrive earlier than usual, or could not get their normal spot in the chicken run, and did not Alan Mullery the other week quote another fan voicing apprehension at promotion? It is logical that if you want the Albion to win, then you must want promotion. Of course it is not the end of the world if we fail, as the Championship has been good to watch, by and large, but surely we should not want to stay in this league, when something better is on the horizon.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
For me we have to strive to get to the very top, promotion to the Premier League is only the next step not the end goal so I definitely want to go up. I can understand some fans reticence as the football seems second place to money, money money and some teams are there just to make up the numbers but this is our time we must push ourselves in the Premier League.

That all said I think the Championship is the most entertaining league in the world and would not be too disappointed to remain in it for another year when we go on the win the league.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That sounds like hell. This is why I'm ambivalent around promotion. The scenario you've just painted whilst realistic seems unappealing and dull. 6/7 years of finishing 12-14th with games after March meaning nothing isn't for me.

I want us to go up for a Bloom the players and fans but personally the Prem isn't something I'm hugely bothered by.

It's been a 20 year mostly enjoyable journey to get here (3 titles, Cardiff and 2 relegations). I'm sure fans of Stoke & WBA haven't had half the dramas and fun we've had.

This. While I understand the arguments by those wanting to go up, personally I want to spend my Saturdays watching Albion **win**. I have consistently hated the PL for everything it stands for... armchair fans, overpaid players, an undeserved sense of self-importance... I would feel guilty eating at the same trough as the people I have disliked so intensely. And "how sh1t must you be, we lose every week!" is not much fun to sing at the handful of wins a season.

Of course, when it happens and the devil knocks on my door offering a deal for my soul to let us stay up, then I'm damned, no hesitation... I just don't think the destination will be as good as the journey to get there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here