Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
cheers [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
cheers [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]
I've never worn trail shoes for Mince Pie - in fact I've never worn them full stop. I guess I might have been lucky, but the ground has always been either dry, or rock hard from the frost.

Might need to address this at some point soon as I do fancy getting off-road a bit more.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I've never worn trail shoes for Mince Pie - in fact I've never worn them full stop. I guess I might have been lucky, but the ground has always been either dry, or rock hard from the frost.

Might need to address this at some point soon as I do fancy getting off-road a bit more.

Right, that's it, I'm entering, Seems like far too good a chance to do some longer hill runs once Bright10 is out of the way. And they have real Mince Pies at the finish don't they? Please tell me they do. *dreams of calorie balancing with a stack of mince pies*

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Right, that's it, I'm entering, Seems like far too good a chance to do some longer hill runs once Bright10 is out of the way. And they have real Mince Pies at the finish don't they? Please tell me they do. *dreams of calorie balancing with a stack of mince pies*
Yes they do. And spot prizes!

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
When in conversation with Brooks (who are based just up the road in Steyning) about my GTS 15s, I asked about trail shoes and this is what they said:

"With regards to a Trail shoe, it might be worth trying the ASR: http://www.brooksrunning.com/uk/men...110172_color=685&dwvar_110172_width=D#start=2

It’s a very similar fit to the GTS, but has a rugged outsole and is water resistant"

I love my GTS15 but they are quite tight compared to the GTS13. (14's are a waste of space)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Yes they do and you can have mine, I ****ing hate mince pies.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I love my GTS15 but they are quite tight compared to the GTS13. (14's are a waste of space)

I much prefer the 14 over the 15.......[emoji3]

Re using trail shoes, they really are essential on the Downs in the wet. The clay/chalk combo is a nightmare during/after rain, can be slippery as hell. I did the Steyning Stinger in road shoes (GTS) once after heavy rain and fell over 5 times. A few weeks later did the Three Forts in inov8 roclites in very similar conditions and didn't slip once. Difference was incredible. This Picture was at the end of the day I wore road shoes......

655f85cdc625097cb1feab8a14d26561.jpg

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Go on take the plunge! One of lifes simple pleassures is running fast down a long steep rutted, rocky, muddy trail, knowing that one wrong foot will be your certain demise! Oh and i love mince pies, cant run with a hot one though!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hmm Downland Devil 9 and Mince Pie 10 are on the same day- did the Devil last year so tempted by the Mince Pie although not so convenient. Any strong views on their comparative merits?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I mainly wear GTS, but for light trails like the south downs i use Brooks Cascadia's, or Brooks ASR's which can handle the road as well as trails or Brooks GTX's (Goretex lined or something which do over heat your feat a bit.. but yeah a good walking shoe).. never had anyproblems with any of them.

I had some waterproof goretex inov8s - theory is good but actually no good for trail running in the real wet, as well as keeping water out, they do a bloody good job of keeping it IN ! Not much use if you are running through ankle deep puddles. Avoid..........

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just ran home from the match for the first time tonight. Had all my running gear underneath my clothes and got changed in the car park and gave my rucksack to a mate to drive home. He beat me home by 10 minutes in his car but 5.6 miles covered in 39 minutes 45 seconds.

Took the Lewes Road and cut up and over at Sainsbury's then down towards Preston Park then back up the hill towards the Dyke Tavern before working my way through Hove.

https://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/899938623

Anyone else running the Arena 80 10k Sunday? Entries still available when I last checked.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Just ran home from the match for the first time tonight. Had all my running gear underneath my clothes and got changed in the car park and gave my rucksack to a mate to drive home. He beat me home by 10 minutes in his car but 5.6 miles covered in 39 minutes 45 seconds.

Took the Lewes Road and cut up and over at Sainsbury's then down towards Preston Park then back up the hill towards the Dyke Tavern before working my way through Hove.

https://connect.garmin.com/jsPlayer/899938623

Anyone else running the Arena 80 10k Sunday? Entries still available when I last checked.

Nice idea! As a comparison (as I live near you) I got thee train and got home at 10:20 so I guess roughly the same time?

Might do the arena 10k - entered on the day last year. Will see what the weather is like and have a tentative plan for cycling at Bedgebury

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The only running I did last night was for the train. I was without the Jnrs, but headed home with a couple of people with kids, and they (the kids), put quite a burst on down the hill! Still, managed to get the first train out of Falmer, and home at a decent time.

Then this morning, I headed out for 18 mins/just over two miles of hill sprints up Mill Hill to the bridge over the A27. Not a pb like I originally thought, but not too shabby either.

Not the most exciting name for your run, by the way, [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], although it is an idea that I've shamelessly ripped off, I'm afraid :lol:

No arena 10k for me. Both the boys are at home for football, so I'll be spending Sunday morning at Middle Road!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
My pack for the Barns Green Half Marathon arrived in the post this morning - this'll be my third official one this year.

As the event is a week on Saturday I am now very much in taper mode. So to celebrate the pack's arrival I went for a 'slightly quicker than easy' 10k up to the Hogs Back and back in about 46 minutes - that is 385 ft of ascent (mostly in the first 5k) at an average of 7:26 minutes per mile. Not bad, and whilst it was raining during the run, it certainly wasn't as heavy as it is now!

Two more runs of decreasing length and effort to go before the big day!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Then this morning, I headed out for 18 mins/just over two miles of hill sprints up Mill Hill to the bridge over the A27. Not a pb like I originally thought, but not too shabby either.

That's a decent effort if you ask me, a tough start though, must be a relief to get to the bit where it flattens out by the Mill!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
No arena 10k for me. Both the boys are at home for football, so I'll be spending Sunday morning at Middle Road!

I'm also missing the Arena 10k due to son number one's football. Funnily enough we (Southwick Rangers U9s) are away to Seagulls at...............................Middle Road.

I will either wave to you running somewhere at the crack of birdshit or at the park :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here