New deals for Calderon and Casper; CMS + others released

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm fully aware that it's come directly from the club – and has possibly been polished to an inch of its life – but I could imagine Calde coming out with those quotes, without prompting. Humble, passionate and honest all at the same time, and says all the right things about his fellow players, the fans and the city itself. I didn't think the guy could go up any higher in my estimations.

I don't think the fact that he is staying should be a reason NOT to sing his praises continuously during the game tomorrow. He really is a legend of BHAFC :albion2::albion2::clap2:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Interesting to see that Zamora is up on a free. Has he got a couple more years left in him?

Would be a very good signing for us - the ideal replacement for COG ( when he goes to Sheff Utd ).

Bring him back, Tony.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm fully aware that it's come directly from the club – and has possibly been polished to an inch of its life – but I could imagine Calde coming out with those quotes, without prompting. Humble, passionate and honest all at the same time, and says all the right things about his fellow players, the fans and the city itself. I didn't think the guy could go up any higher in my estimations.

I don't think the fact that he is staying should be a reason NOT to sing his praises continuously during the game tomorrow. He really is a legend of BHAFC :albion2::albion2::clap2:

This. Calde is a legend. Really, really happy for him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This. Cheers for all the others combined should be whispers compared to what he gets.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Squad needed 24 start of season + 1 signing in January = 25

Current squad = 20 in contract or have been offered new contracts.

But Chicksen and Colunga could depart = 18 so we could expect 6 new players.

Left back
Striker

Right winger
Covering central defender

Right back (not so urgent)
Left sided midfielder (not so urgent)

We're going to need more than that. The team needs strengthening in every area of the pitch except the goalkeeping position.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Excluding Rea and Harris, this is next season’s squad as it now stands:

GK: Stockdale, Walton and Ankergen. No action required.

RB: Bruno & Calderon. A young, quick right-back needed.

LB: New player needed

CB: Greer & Dunk. At least one, preferably two new players needed, one must be pacey.

Defensive Mids: Crofts, Ince & Holla. Sell Holla. Sign a leader, a wise old head who can run a game and bring on Ince. Crofts may not return to former self.

Other Mids/Creatives: Kayal, Stephens & JFC. Two new creative midfielders needed.

Wingers: Lua Lua & March. At least one new winger required.

Strikers: Baldock (keep) & O’Grady (sell) 2 or 3 new strikers required.

That's 9 or 10 new players

Don't forget Chicksen.

I make that 18 players retained, 15 of which could be considered first teamers, if you ignore 2 of the goalies.

Down to the bones. Just need to get the fat on.

I'm excited already, because Tony means early business.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Don't forget Chicksen.

I make that 18 players retained, 15 of which could be considered first teamers, if you ignore 2 of the goalies.

Down to the bones. Just need to get the fat on.

I'm excited already, because Tony means early business.

Totally forgot about Chicksen. Yes, good to see the club getting on with it but if it's serious about mounting a promotion challenge next season, it must deliver a squad on par with the one Poyet built. After last summer, the club cannot afford to get it wrong again.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Was never good enough for the Championship

I disagree, I think he was up until that injury. He was never a lone striker at this level, which is how we largely played him.

Pre-injury, he looked a very useful "fox-in-the-box" type striker, but he needed to be playing off a bigger, stronger target man. Aaron McLean did that job at Peterborough for him, and I think he would have been able to be of Championship class in a front 2 with Ulloa. It just never happened.

And what he did have, has been sadly missing since the injury.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Totally forgot about Chicksen. Yes, good to see the club getting on with it but if it's serious about mounting a promotion challenge next season, it must deliver a squad on par with the one Poyet built. After last summer, the club cannot afford to get it wrong again.

Poyet had a few years to get the squad he wanted together - it may take a bit of time. It could be that not everyone CH and TB want are available this summer.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Need to focus on getting in wide players, particularly wingers, but also full backs.

This season we have tended to play through the middle as we have been ineffective from the flanks. There has been little service (crosses) to the strikers via wide penetration (matron!) and thus getting in round the back (oh, matron!). Therefore, we need to focus on wide players, please.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Are Bruno & Calderon going to be our right back options again next season? If so, we could do with a Gary Hart type right midfielder

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Poyet had a few years to get the squad he wanted together - it may take a bit of time. It could be that not everyone CH and TB want are available this summer.

A few years? he was only with us three and a half years in total, including two championship playoff seasons.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Sounds as though CH has confidence in Walton. Even if Stockdale is number one we need solid backup in case of injury, loss of form or suspension. I wouldn't have thought Casper would be the right man for that so next season could be Walton's big chance.

Actually, I see this another way. I think they will look to try and sell Stockdale on if they can get something for him and they want to keep Casper so that they have an experienced keeper and i have a feeling they might try and sign Mark Bunn, if they can get some money for stockdale to help finance new signings in other parts of the squad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here