Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

San Francisco any tips please

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Also going in Aug for a birthday. LA, Las Vegas, SF, Santa Barbara and then San Diego.

Planning on driving between SF and San Diego with 1 night in Santa Barbara via Pacific Hway. Have looked at various websites and they advise that this is too much in 2 days. Cars all booked and hotels sorted so just going to go for it. Has anyone done this drive and what were their experience?

It would be better over 3 days. As most will tell you stops in Monterray, Carmel and Big Sur are pretty well musts on the PCH and it will be 400+ miles so an early start will be needed!! It's a fabulous drive ... if I were you I wouldn't waste the opportunity

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
That's kind of the point, really. You don't get these threads asking "Any tips on things to do in Kendall?" or "Anyone been to Prestatyn?"

Its always, "San Fransisco tips please", "Things to do in New York", and "Anyone know bars showing the match in the Maldives?"

Where I'm going on holiday is irrelevant.

Its VULGAR :jester:[/QUOTE

i guess not too many people really need to know the SP in Kendal or Bridlington , but those looking to spend there hard earned dosh in far flung places i guess are looking to extract the maximum for there dosh .. Dont blame them really and its always nice for people to share their travel experiences. Beats the Shite out of the politics thread on here

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i guess not too many people really need to know the SP in Kendal or Bridlington , but those looking to spend there hard earned dosh in far flung places i guess are looking to extract the maximum for there dosh .. Dont blame them really and its always nice for people to share their travel experiences. Beats the Shite out of the politics thread on here

Maybe I should work on being a little bit less cynical?

FWIW [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] I've been to SF and it's a terrific city. Have a great time.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The Vesuvio Bar near the City Lights bookstore on Columbus where Kerouac and Ferlinghetti hung out is brilliant, and I didn't even try the absinthe. Chinatown is a bit touristy, as are the cable cars, but you've got to see both. It's also baseball season, so try to catch either the San Francisco Giants at AT&T Park on the Bay, or the Oakland Athletics - they're on the other side of the Bay, but the BART trains from Market Street stop there. In and Out Burgers, Haight-Ashbury, Golden Gate Park - just a great, great city.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
i guess there is cynic in all of us , depends to which level it is !

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Whatever you do cycle over the bridge it is really great then you get the ferry back

Johners

Jul 6, 2003
Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
We did a trip with Dylan Tours when we were last there 2 years ago, definitely recommend them - small minibus rather than big coach means he can go places the larger tours can't, and you get personal tips from him too.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
I took the walk as opposed to a bike, from Fishermans Wharf past the old aerodrome and across the Golden Gate Bridge (there is a footway) and then on to Sausalito (few beers on the waterfront) taking the ferry back. Take a look a the museum at the bridge. The cable car museum is also worth a visit, which is the working cable machines that circulate under the streets which the cars pick up on.
If it is still there, and you like real ale, the San Francisco Brewery Company in worth a visit, if still there it is at the Comercial District at the end of Columbus(the only street the runs diagonally) on the right hand side. I spent 9 days there about 20 years ago and loved it

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Just came back from a San Francisco to Toronto drive. Had a couple of days in San Fran to look around.

Avoid eating in Fisherman's Wharf unless you want high sugar overpriced crap. I liked Fiddler's Green for a cheap meal and a pint, close to the wharf but way better priced and better quality https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fiddlers-Green/461481800636289?rf=107008882672502

The street cars are moving history. Go to the railway museum on day one http://www.streetcar.org/museum/ and talk to them about getting around town and what pass to buy. These guys know the system better than the employees.

Ride the cable cars. I paid $15 for the all day pass for cable cars and Metro. I did note that I never entered at the beginning of a line, always somewhere en route and I always boarded at the front and never at the back. I was never asked to show a pass, the guy at the back seems to take care of checking tickets and he never came to the front.

Golden Gate park is a great place to visit, there is a free (slow) shuttle around the park, look for the signs.

I really enjoyed the walk from the baseball stadium along the waterfront. It's a really nice way to ease into San Francisco.

If you want to check out something overpriced but really different have a drink here http://www.tongaroom.com/

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We were there last September on a coast to coast motorcycle trip, SF and Norlins were two of my favourites. We are going back in August for a mini road trip from LA to LV Death valley to SF then PCH 1 back down to Carmen Montery and LA.
Glad I read this as we seem to have missed a fair bit on the first trip

I did LA - Vegas - Death Valley (an amazing place) but then up to Lake Tahoe and down to SF as the passes through the Sierra Nevadas were stiill closed in May. Went past Mono Lake, though, where High Plains Drifter was filmed ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here