Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All things about Gus Poyet - former Brighton and Hove Albion Manager

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"I'm not in charge here. I'm a head coach, not even a manager here". Way to go, Gus. :ffsparr:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It always strikes me for a manager how naive he is.

Naive with the press - this interview, ceiling, suarez etc
Naive with his players - i always tell the players the complete truth, players come first
Naive with his tactics - you always know the role each player has and exactly what he is going to do

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Ees comlicated for me right now.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
But he will bounce back somewhere, does anyone doubt that?

bouncing_ad.jpg

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
"I'm not in charge here. I'm a head coach, not even a manager here". Way to go, Gus. :ffsparr:

The full quote -

Q - "It's probably an impossible question to answer, but what is it about Sunderland? You touched on it there, Everton are a comparable size club, they get comparable size crowds, why are they so successful and a club like Sunderland aren't?"

GP - "I've been trying this month to see things and I've got an answer but I would prefer to give it to the Chairman of the football club before I share with you"

Q - "So you think you've . . . . "

GP - "I don't know - I've got a good idea - I analyse you know, I've been here for long and I know everybody, it is plain to think that under my mind it should be different. Can I do it? I don't know, I'm not in charge, I'm a head coach, I'm not even a manager here. So we see what happens."

Q - "Because of what you have in mind it's presumably not an easy challenge to er . . . . "

GP - "I think there've been, you know, you have to go back three or four years, you know, or maybe seven or eight. I mean really from the times of . . . . . . we've been always playing with fire and the only thing we change more or less is the managers. So maybe it's time to change something different and look for the real problem inside the club and not just the one who comes here and [? ? ? ? ? ? ?] every week. 4, 5, 3, 2, whatever you play, whatever system, whatever players, always something happen.

I don't like it and I'm not enjoying it even though I say so myself. It's not about walking away from here it's about planning things and being in the position we need to be, you know. Because it's very easy to ask me because you cannot talk to the people at the top, you know."

Shines a different light on the statement than the edited quote in your post!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The full quote -

Q - "It's probably an impossible question to answer, but what is it about Sunderland? You touched on it there, Everton are a comparable size club, they get comparable size crowds, why are they so successful and a club like Sunderland aren't?"

GP - "I've been trying this month to see things and I've got an answer but I would prefer to give it to the Chairman of the football club before I share with you"

GP - "I don't know - I've got a good idea - I analyse you know, I've been here for long and I know everybody, it is plain to think that under my mind it should be different. Can I do it? I don't know, I'm not in charge, I'm a head coach, I'm not even a manager here. So we see what happens."

Q - "Because of what you have in mind it's presumably not an easy challenge to er . . . . "

GP - "I think there've been, you know, you have to go back three or four years, you know, or maybe seven or eight. I mean really from the times of . . . . . . we've been always playing with fire and the only thing we change more or less is the managers. So maybe it's time to change something different and look for the real problem inside the club and not just the one who comes here and [? ? ? ? ? ? ?] every week. 4, 5, 3, 2, whatever you play, whatever system, whatever players, always something happen.

I don't like it and I'm not enjoying it even though I say so myself. It's not about walking away from here it's about planning things and being in the position we need to be, you know. Because it's very easy to ask me because you cannot talk to the people at the top, you know."

No it doesn't. Not at all.

It's still all slopey-shouldered bullshit.

'Things in the background', or 'people at the top', or 'something different..inside the club' are absolutely NOT responsible for the tactics he chooses to play, or for the players he selects making costly poor decisions, or for his January signings from South America all being shit.

You are defending the indefensible. Even serial self-denier Uncle Spielberg has stopped quoting Gus' 'amazing Sunderland turnaround' at this stage.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The full quote -

Whichever way you dress it up he's not questioning himself at all as far as I can see. He picks the players, the tactics and is ultimately responsible for results, surely. I am sure there are problems behind the scenes but there are also problems on the pitch that he needs to consider too. Doesn't sound like he's even contemplating that it may have something to do with him that Sunderland are no better off in the league than they were when he arrived.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Whichever way you dress it up he's not questioning himself at all as far as I can see. He picks the players, the tactics and is ultimately responsible for results, surely. I am sure there are problems behind the scenes but there are also problems on the pitch that he needs to consider too. Doesn't sound like he's even contemplating that it may have something to do with him that Sunderland are no better off in the league than they were when he arrived.

Well he does pose the question, "Can I do it?" and further goes on to talk about planning. Are you really saying that every time a club struggles it is all down to the manager, (head coach) ???

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Clearly the Boardroom is in the wrong because Gus can't be! Sounds like his usual mega-ego-power-play...........put him in charge of absolutely everything with no limitations, no overview from above, no blocks on spending. Aston Villa, another similar club, allowed Martin O'Neill that sort of freedom and he nearly bankrupted them to an extent they still haven't recovered. Sunderland have a big fanbase but if FFP means anything then even with their EPL payola they might struggle to get out of the Championship with their financial security intact.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well he does pose the question, "Can I do it?" and further goes on to talk about planning. Are you really saying that every time a club struggles it is all down to the manager, (head coach) ???

No I'm saying the manager should maybe be questioning himself rather than shifting all the blame. I have never seen Gus do this, maybe he's just been unlucky with the clubs he's managed so far?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

It does indeed.

Rambling, evasive drivel.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Gus is obviously a very good manager, but he is in danger of messing up his career because of his mouth.

When things aren't going well and he is under pressure instead of publicly trying to galvanise his team, he gives up, and blames everyone else.

Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes at Brighton, but on the outside we seem like a well run club, the only sin I could see in Poyet's eyes was that we were going to play within the FFP rules this season. As we should. TB must be listening to this and feeling very relieved.

Sunderland have six games to go and if a manager can build a belief in the team they still have a chance. Unfortunately for them it seems he has given up. I can't remember another manager doing this before, publicly anyway.

Seem as if we have dodge a bullet.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The full quote -

Technically it's not an edited quote, it is a quote that has been taken from a Q&A. An edited quote would be "I'm a head coach…" or similar.

Pedantry aside, I don't think it does shed a different light. Poyet has been at Sunderland for the majority of the season, and as 'head coach', he should have been able to make a difference, and turn things around, but they seemed to have got worse. Your second point is similar drivel to what he said to us towards the end of the season (at the Awards, I seem to recall, along with Bridcutt), when he claimed to be planning for the future, and avoiding the question of if he would be off.

I don't but all this "rotten to the core" nonsense, either. When the rumours were going around Twitter last night, I did a search, and there were plenty of articles from the beginning of March, and around the Cup Final of him being "Confident we can avoid the drop". Granted this isn't a cast-iron guarantee that he/his team was going to succeed, but he certainly wasn't spouting all this back then.

He'll be off at the end of the season, or maybe before. His ego couldn't take being back in the Championship, having failed, even though it isn't his fault, according to him. These articles seem to be him burning his bridges, and I wonder whether he will ever be happy as a manager? Both here, and at Sunderland he had a great opportunity. His insistence of getting his own way, and then moaning when he doesn't, seem to be his downfall.

Having said all that, I was a big Poyet fan when he was here, and I wished him all the best, wherever he turned up. I just think that he is finding out how difficult it is as a manager in the Premier League, and he's not prepared for the battle.

northampton_seagull

Jun 17, 2008
Northampton
I did see this on their forum:

"Apparently he applied for the Everton job on the eve of the 2nd leg of their play-off with Palace and when the chairman found out, that was the final straw."

Any truth?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gus is obviously a very good manager, but he is in danger of messing up his career because of his mouth.

When things aren't going well and he is under pressure instead of publicly trying to galvanise his team, he gives up, and blames everyone else.

Obviously we don't know what goes on behind the scenes at Brighton, but on the outside we seem like a well run club, the only sin I could see in Poyet's eyes was that we were going to play within the FFP rules this season. As we should. TB must be listening to this and feeling very relieved.

Sunderland have six games to go and if a manager can build a belief in the team they still have a chance. Unfortunately for them it seems he has given up. I can't remember another manager doing this before, publicly anyway.

Seem as if we have dodge a bullet.

If Poyet ever wants what he would consider to be a top management job, he'll have to be able to demonstrate that he can cope with the pressure that comes with it. Unfortunately for him, all the signs suggest he won't be able to cope with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here