Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2014

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Maleficent is comfortably the best film I have seen at the cinema this year.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Transformers: Age of Extinction
So, so dull. I usually think Stanley Tucci is fantastic, and I'm got the sense I would have enjoyed his shtick in the last 30-45mins if I hadn't been so bored by the rest of the film I had stopped caring. Honestly, if my senses hadn't been put to sleep from this film I would probably be able to write a really long rant about it, but as it is, the film just numbed my mind to the point I just don't care enough about it to rant.

Why did you go to see it?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Exactly. People should know what to expect by now. It will be MASSIVE Robots beating the s*it out of each other for over 2 and a half hours. Great special effects and cgi but a plot to simply service the spectacle of the fights. There will not be Oscar winning acting or a deep and meaningful storyline but they do what they say on the tin and do it very well. Lot of people obviously think so. I actually think it is good that a film is critic proof. The critic has already decided to bury the film before they even watched it, if indeed they even did that and the fact no one listens to them for me is refreshing. Kermode sits on his fat arse and rubbishes someone's work that has taken 2 years of his life to make. I generally hate critics, people like Bradshaw from the Guardian so far up his own backside and many others like him. The only critic I loved was the late, Roger Ebert.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Transformers: Age of Extinction
So, so dull. I usually think Stanley Tucci is fantastic, and I'm got the sense I would have enjoyed his shtick in the last 30-45mins if I hadn't been so bored by the rest of the film I had stopped caring. Honestly, if my senses hadn't been put to sleep from this film I would probably be able to write a really long rant about it, but as it is, the film just numbed my mind to the point I just don't care enough about it to rant.

I know exactly what you mean about it getting "numbing". I've not seen the new Transformers yet, but I am growing VERY weary of seeing various cities being smashed up by giant CGI robots and/or monsters fighting (see also Pacific Rim). Its been absolutely done to death, I feel like I'm just watching a computer game half the time. Same with that new Superman film - oh look, another fight, another building being reduced to rubble as they throw each other around. Same, same, same. Unless this new Transformers film actually brings something new to the table, I'll be giving it a wide berth.

In other news, I watched 42 last night. Set in 1947, all about Jackie Robinson, the first black player to play in the MLB in the modern era. A little earnest and saccharine in places, but an interesting biopic detailing the shocking racism that existed at the time, as he was transferred from the then "Negroe Leagues" to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers. NEVER seen Harrison Ford looking so old though, I barely recognised him.

Decent.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know exactly what you mean about it getting "numbing". I've not seen the new Transformers yet, but I am growing VERY weary of seeing various cities being smashed up by giant CGI robots and/or monsters fighting (see also Pacific Rim). Its been absolutely done to death, I feel like I'm just watching a computer game half the time. Same with that new Superman film - oh look, another fight, another building being reduced to rubble as they throw each other around. Same, same, same. Unless this new Transformers film actually brings something new to the table, I'll be giving it a wide berth.

In other news, I watched 42 last night. Set in 1947, all about Jackie Robinson, the first black player to play in the MLB in the modern era. A little earnest and saccharine in places, but an interesting biopic detailing the shocking racism that existed at the time, as he was transferred from the then "Negroe Leagues" to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers. NEVER seen Harrison Ford looking so old though, I barely recognised him.

Decent.

But that is what Transformers is all about ! What do you expect, a Love Story, a Comedy, a Thriller, a Family feelgood film. Don't go, I doubt Bay cares much either way but don't have a pop about what the film, is, should be and what people who like them would expect.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
But that is what Transformers is all about ! What do you expect, a Love Story, a Comedy, a Thriller, a Family feelgood film. Don't go, I doubt Bay cares much either way but don't have a pop about what the film, is, should be and what people who like them would expect.

He saw the film he gave his opinion. What's the problem. You're a good man US but you have ****ing ridiculous taste in film.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I won't go, I've made that mistake before. I quite enjoyed the first one, went and saw the second which was "meh". The Dark of the Moon I caught on Blu-Ray and couldn't wait for it to end, it was genuinely numbing, so I know to swerve the latest instalment.

No, I'm not expecting a love story or a thriller, but it would be good to have something a little more plot-driven, with a different payoff at the end to another city being levelled. I appreciate thats what fans of the franchise want and expect to see (again), and I love a special-effects action movie as much as the next guy. But this Transformers stuff, I've grown totally bored of it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He saw the film he gave his opinion. What's the problem. You're a good man US but you have ****ing ridiculous taste in film.

He hasn't seen it, neither have I. I know you HATE mainstream cinema as most critics do as they feel it is beneath them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
He hasn't seen it, neither have I. I know you HATE mainstream cinema as most critics do as they feel it is beneath them.

Too right mate, I refuse to watch anything that post dates the Zoetrope. For me cinema died the day they removed the pipe organs from theatres.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

There were several contributing factors:

1) I have an unlimited pass, so am not as choosy about which films I'll go see since it all costs the same to me.
2) My friend wanted to see it.
3) I will often go see bad films because I can still have fun with bad films, either because they're funny with how bad they are, or, because they are ripe for mocking
4) As bad as the first three were, I still had a fun time watching them (mostly). I didn't have this reaction to the first three.
5) I'm a bit of a completest. If I start watching a franchise, I feel compelled so see it through.
6) I try to see the big releases
7) I like to give films a chance. As much as they may look bad, or may have got poor reviews etc. I still am open to it being one of those films that I like that aren't particularly popular

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Like most I saw the first Transformers film and quite enjoyed it, 2nd one was okay but walked out midway through the 3rd one. I don't see the point in continuing on with the franchise if I'm no longer enjoying them. Loads of people still do judging by the box office takings so that's fair enough...

But my grumble would be that with both that and Mrs Browns Boys there's not really that much choice down the Cineworld at the Marina this week, might give Tammy a go.

Thankfully I can also use my pass at Crawley so defiantly going to see The Jersey Boys and maybe either Edge of Tomorrow or more likely Chef.
I do fancy that new Noel Clarke film 'The Anomaly' but its hardly being shown anywhere due to Transformers taking up so many slots.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Edge of Tomorrow has received very good reviews.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Saw Transendence the other day. I liked it, one of the better sci-fi I've seen recently 7.825

Not sure why it's only got 6.4 on IMDB, I'm sure people are determined not to enjoy films these days so they can pretend to be a critic on the internet (as this thread demonstrates) :p

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I am generally intrigued by the produce of Richard Linklater, rather enjoying and feeling Before Midnight when i'd found its predecessors a tad annoying more than not, and appreciating Scanner Darkly and the attempt to try different types of filmmaking without them being unwelcomingly arty or experimental. So here we are with Boyhood, a film 12 years in the making, with the actors growing and developing as the characters they play do. It centres throughout, pretty much all 2 hours 40 minutes of it, on young Mason Jr and his journey from child to the outskirts of manliness, at least in the late teen facial hair department. It's a generally engrossing watch. We're not so normally privy to the natural changes of all our characters, their evolution both physical and psychological, but in this we have episodes from a collection of diaries, seemingly randomly chosen from each year, that show change and movement and progress both sour and joyful of this developing male. Of him, i should say, and also of his mother, played by Patricia Arquette, whose decisions, usually in love, as a single parent make such a difference to him and his sister and their surroundings as they dot around Texas, closer and further at different times to their inconsistent and seemingly permanently immature father, Ethan Hawke. Only on a few occasions are the chapters tragically dramatic and lifechanging, but all the way through they're an interesting view.
So many things to ponder of one's own boyhood as the film went by, and of the childhood of those drifting children whose families didn't long stay in one place long and were never allowed to settle or be themselves with other people to know what fitting in is. I felt for them. And i saw how in this film the chapters are not complete or fully connected but can be noticed in what Mason Jr becomes if you decide you want to look.
A bit near the end is a horrendously corny moment, completely out of place, that makes one leave the cinema with an unironed cringe but overall a good film that grips where necessary and delivers a stream of afterthoughts that not a lot of films can. I hope Linklater keeps trying storytelling in different ways.

Edge of Tomorrow has received very good reviews.

Saw this at Chichester on the strength of reviews and it felt like I'd been to an out of tune Motörhead concert. No disrespect to them, am sure they are very good live, but in my humble opinion 2 hours of CGI machine guns and 3 minutes of respite at most is not really good cinema.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Exactly. People should know what to expect by now. It will be MASSIVE Robots beating the s*it out of each other for over 2 and a half hours. Great special effects and cgi but a plot to simply service the spectacle of the fights. There will not be Oscar winning acting or a deep and meaningful storyline but they do what they say on the tin and do it very well. Lot of people obviously think so. I actually think it is good that a film is critic proof. The critic has already decided to bury the film before they even watched it, if indeed they even did that and the fact no one listens to them for me is refreshing. Kermode sits on his fat arse and rubbishes someone's work that has taken 2 years of his life to make. I generally hate critics, people like Bradshaw from the Guardian so far up his own backside and many others like him. The only critic I loved was the late, Roger Ebert.

Are the special effects and CGI much better than the previous Transformers films then? Because they were shit. They looked fake, like a computer game and you couldn't tell what's going on

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes looks superb.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
I saw this at a mystery screening last night. I was mildly disappointed that it turned out to be this film, as it is officially released tomorrow. The last mystery screening was The Secret Life of Walter Mitty about a month before it was officially released.

The film itself was very good. It took a little while to get used to the apes calling each other by names, but once it gets going you go with it. The effects were good, I mostly accepted the apes as characters instead of CGI animations. The action was good and the story built well to support the action and make you care.

Very Good film.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There were several contributing factors:

1) I have an unlimited pass, so am not as choosy about which films I'll go see since it all costs the same to me.
2) My friend wanted to see it.
3) I will often go see bad films because I can still have fun with bad films, either because they're funny with how bad they are, or, because they are ripe for mocking
4) As bad as the first three were, I still had a fun time watching them (mostly). I didn't have this reaction to the first three.
5) I'm a bit of a completest. If I start watching a franchise, I feel compelled so see it through.
6) I try to see the big releases
7) I like to give films a chance. As much as they may look bad, or may have got poor reviews etc. I still am open to it being one of those films that I like that aren't particularly popular

I like that people still do this. I used to but just don't have time at moment will try to again soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here