Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK manufacturing recovery continues in May

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree completely with the concept but there are so many blinkered posters on here who are an absolute joke. It's either everything Labour do is wonderful and the Tories are idiots or vice versa. A coalition of all parties is my preference where part loyalty comes after what's best for the country.

Have you ever met an opinionated Tory or Labour supporter who has been convinced to change their views and switch their allegiance? I haven't and for that reason tend to avoid political arguments. Normally ends up in a heated binfest.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
All ok apart from the UK is outperforming nearly everyone. That is a result of political intervention. Labour have lost the argument with the economy and have diverted it to the feelgood factor. They'll lose that as well.

Which bit of political intervention exactly? Our economy was hit hardest (of European ones) by the financial crash. We also benefited from not being in the Euro so could use huge amounts of QE. The fact that our recovery is now better is hardly surprising.

Yeah right.

Um yeh. The manufacturing PMI reached just under 60 when Labour left office and it then slumped into contraction territory under the coalition. As Stewart Lee's mate says, "you can prove anything with facts". Let's have yours, if your doubt.

Interesting that the Bank of England today still kept the printing presses of QE rolling for another month - that's a comment right there on the strength of the current recovery?

Buzzer wants another footballing analogy? OK, fine - here's one - saying the UK did better than the eurozone in the period he talks about is like saying Doncaster did better than Barnsley this season.

Comparing the two ugly sisters of austerity totally misses the point, they were both crap because they both followed misguided economic (fiscal) tightening policies when expansion was needed. That's why Osborne's record overall is so terrible. We shouldn't be comparing the UK to eurozone basket cases like Greece and Portgual who went broke, but other advanced G7 economies like the US which recovered quicker and better.

When even those crazy left wing kids at the IMF said the coalition's economic policies were misguided, you pretty much know they were REALLY shit.

Have you ever met an opinionated Tory or Labour supporter who has been convinced to change their views and switch their allegiance? I haven't and for that reason tend to avoid political arguments. Normally ends up in a heated binfest.

This is not about party politics at all, which I agree can get boring and polarised. Labour were the first monetarists in 1976.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Stop being so silly. According to [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] we don't make anything any more.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Hmm. These football analogies aren't really working for me. UK and the Eurozone = Doncaster and Barnsley? Nah.

Thanks for trying anyway.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Which bit of political intervention exactly? Our economy was hit hardest (of European ones) by the financial crash. We also benefited from not being in the Euro so could use huge amounts of QE. The fact that our recovery is now better is hardly surprising.

Catapult centres? Set up in 2011

Hmm. These football analogies aren't really working for me. UK and the Eurozone = Doncaster and Barnsley? Nah.

Thanks for trying anyway.
You're right. On reflection, Torquay and Bristol Rovers is better

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stop being so silly. According to [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] we don't make anything any more.

If you think there is anything resembling a strong manufacturing base in the UK then you are a fool. Even the government said this the other day. Assembling a few cars (made from mainly Italian manufactured parts) is not a manufacturing base.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If you think there is anything resembling a strong manufacturing base in the UK then you are a fool. Even the government said this the other day. Assembling a few cars (made from mainly Italian manufactured parts) is not a manufacturing base.

Of course you would say that, you would hate to see your Motherland showing any sort of favourable comparison to your Fatherland.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course you would say that, you would hate to see your Motherland showing any sort of favourable comparison to your Fatherland.

Nonsense. I have posted repeatedly over the years about how I want UK manufacturing to grow and succeed. I think it is one of the single most important things in the UK and will go a long way to addressing a lot of other issues the UK faces. Pretending it is getting better is not the way forward though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Actually the government said it wanted a stronger manufacturing sector - not that it was weak. And of course you over look the fact that we are one of the world's leaders in the manufacturing of :

Chemicals
Medicines
Space technology
Weapons
Electricals
Aircraft
Plastics
Food products

..... manufacturing isn't just about things made of metal you know.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Nonsense. I have posted repeatedly over the years about how I want UK manufacturing to grow and succeed. I think it is one of the single most important things in the UK and will go a long way to addressing a lot of other issues the UK faces. Pretending it is getting better is not the way forward though.

Please, you are like a lot if expats I know, and who post on here,...... its almost as if by denigrating the UK at every turn ( which you do) you are seeking regular validation of your decision to flee these shores.

Whether you agree or not, that's exactly how you present yourself on this board.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Actually the government said it wanted a stronger manufacturing sector - not that it was weak. And of course you over look the fact that we are one of the world's leaders in the manufacturing of :

Chemicals
Medicines
Space technology
Weapons
Electricals
Aircraft
Plastics
Food products

..... manufacturing isn't just about things made of metal you know.

Design and technology....or manufacturing?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In most the examples I have given, both, but I was talking about manufacturing.

Manufacuring still only contributes 8% of the economy though. It needs to be a lot higher.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Please, you are like a lot if expats I know, and who post on here,...... its almost as if by denigrating the UK at every turn ( which you do) you are seeking regular validation of your decision to flee these shores.

Whether you agree or not, that's exactly how you present yourself on this board.

If I wanted validation, the goons on a chat-room is probably the last place I'd go looking for it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In most the examples I have given, both, but I was talking about manufacturing.

Bickering aside, Space technology and pharma are two sectors the UK does very very well and which they can be proud of. It was so important that the UK kept AZ from being gobbled up by Pfizer. The UK does some great science.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here