Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fell or Tiler? Settle an argument

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Over at the 'He Shot, He Scored' facebook site, debate is raging. Who is the player in this picture with Wardy?

buktaumbro.jpg

Is it:

a) Gerry Fell

fell2_small.jpg

or

b) Ken Tiler?

tiler2_small.jpg

el punal

I reckon it could be Ken Tiler. This photo, showing the Albion against Port Vale in April 1977, was used by the GPO as a poster to promote using post codes. It had pride of place on the wall of my flat for ages.

To confuse the issue further Gerry Fell was also playing that day. Regardless, that was my favourite Albion season of all. Great manager, great players, great team.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In order to keep the argument raging, I'm plumping for Fell.

It's Tiler.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Regardless, that was my favourite Albion season of all. Great manager, great players, great team.

I was lucky enough for that season to be my first. What memories! What an introduction to football and to the Albion!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'd go with Ken Tiler. Firstly, it looks like Ken Tiler, secondly, they're celebrating Gerry Fell's goal. If Gerry has just scored, they're likely to be looking towards him rather than away from him.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Same picture used for the front cover of the excellent John Vinicombe book .

Attachments

• jv.jpg
    jv.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 567

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Think I'd go for Fell. Looks a bit , though not much, more like him but also it looks like he is in an attacking position on the right which is where Fell would be more likely to be.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Same picture used for the front cover of the excellent John Vinicombe book .

Wasn't that great! I seem to recall that it included the 77/78 season and even though that was the most recent, he got facts wrong, including the biggest home game of the season against Tottenham. He said we won 2-1 whereas those that were there know it was 3-1 and in the last game he says Ward scored two against Blackpool whereas he only got one, Horton being the other scorer. I remember reading that book when it came out and couldn't believe he got those recent things so wrong so that put doubt in my mind about all the other facts going back years prior to when I started supporting them. He may well have reported on the Albion for a very long time but there were countless times when I read his reports and thought I had been at a different game!

As for the photo, I would go with Fell.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here