Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What will cost us this season...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How do we "replace" players like Sam Baldock? He certainly doesn't score enough goals. In fact, he makes Craig McKail-Smith's goalscoring record look like Lionel Messi's.

The problem is that replacing him will cost a fortune - we wouldn't be able to sell him for anything worthwhile, and a replacement guaranteed to be any better would cost at least £5m, probably nearer £8m. So whilst I'd rather we had more potent strikers, I'm happy enough with the investment we see in other areas of the pitch which have made us very competitive in this division.

Then you choose to accept we will continue to be the nearly-men of the division... I don't...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You have done it again. You have changed the subject. We were discussing last years failure in contrast to Midlesbrough's success and now you have jumped into this season and compared my views to Chris' views. Incidentally, I share a lot of the same views

Last year [B]Chris brought in the strikers he wanted. Zamorra was prone to injury and James Wilson never really filled the potential Chris thought he might have.

I know Chris wanted another striker this year. Indeed I even know one of the ones he would have liked but it did not materialise for a few reasons and he had to live with that. Instead of spending money just for the sake if that the funds were retained and he is going with what he has because the squad is not a bad squad.

None of us on here know why the strikers we went after didn't materialise. It could have been for many reasons and we can speculate all we like, we can never really know
That should leave us more funds for the January window which could work out better in that he may even be able to afford an even better quality striker then

And, meanwhile, Tony funds £10M losses approx every season... this is the price he is paying for our consistent near-misses... the ONLY way we will make a profit is if we enter the promised land, then the £5M or so we need to spend on a decent striker to help get us there will seem like chump change... Tony knows this, even if some mugs on here don't...

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I've no idea. But from this quote i interpreted it as the club not willing to over-pay for players that won't strengthen the squad "just to add numbers" but willing to pay on players that would.
The type of bids rumoured on here from good sources and of course Pritchard indicate that this is the case.

PS: the last and only time i've ever met with my paymaster; Paul Barber - i stood next to my Dad who had a good humoured row with him about why he couldn't get a lift up to the top of the WSU because he has a stick and finds it hard to walk (he's nearly 80). Barber was very helpful about it.

What did he do for him?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
And, meanwhile, Tony funds £10M losses approx every season... this is the price he is paying for our consistent near-misses... the ONLY way we will make a profit is if we enter the promised land, then the £5M or so we need to spend on a decent striker to help get us there will seem like chump change... Tony knows this, even if some mugs on here don't...

If only pounds shillings and pence were the problem. That would be the easy bit to resolve

1. The Manager needs to want a specific player
2. That player needs to wan to come here
3. The selling club need to be willing to part with him

Oh and a sub note. Double you £5m if you want to get the strikers we wanted

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Double you £5m if you want to get the strikers we wanted

Hmmm this is where the spin begins to fall down.

There's a few possible scenarios at play, but I get the impression none of them involve the club (TB) spending £10m on a player.

- The players the club want are out of it's league (in every sense)
- The clubs playing budget can't handle a £10m player.
- Shite players still cost £10m

Because at no point have offers of £10m been tabled, rumoured or even mentioned.

All we have is the 'market is over heated', and 1 heavily conditioned offer somewhere between 5 & 7 million rising to above 8, for a player who has barely kicked a ball this season.

We all get it.
We understand football finances and the stupidity therein.
We accept TB isn't getting this far then pushing all his chips in on a player who could turn out to be the next Leon (not the) Best.
All of this is before we get into the frankly ridiculous situation of actually paying to borrow a player the parent club wants off it's hands.

But then again we didn't buy a business who's comedic adage says:-

'wow how do you get a million pounds'.
'Oh it's easy, start with a billion and buy a football club'.

At some point, all the time the yoof set up is mirroring the first team, this mythical deal has to be done.
That time appears to be getting more urgent as the club creates a fantastic, Premier League Ready, squad to play Championship football, and having no shots on goal.

We all know it's the one deal AMEX era Albion has shied away from, always looking for the comparatively cheap (in football terms, not the Albion's) option.
Through all that time the one true fact is that the transfer market for strikers has exponentially risen.

There's a reason Trevor Francis was the first million pound player and not Peter Shilton.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Superb. When are you pumping your millions into the club?

Moronic. This forum is about opinions. You have yours. I have mine. AND I've already explained why Tony should stump up the cash for a decent striker. Read before you post.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If only pounds shillings and pence were the problem. That would be the easy bit to resolve

1. The Manager needs to want a specific player
2. That player needs to wan to come here
3. The selling club need to be willing to part with him

Oh and a sub note. Double you £5m if you want to get the strikers we wanted

Well, WRT your sub-note, maybe we should look (a bit harder) abroad and/or lower-league again to keep the price down?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
OK, you don't accept it.
Now what ?

I post my opinions on here. You post yours. I continue to support our club. I guess you do to. Meanwhile, the Albion's recruitment team do their job, and PB tries to stop his BS...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He offered to find us seats in the WSL instead and he patiently explained about the service lift etc.

Reasonable, although a lift to the top of the West would have been better...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm this is where the spin begins to fall down.

There's a few possible scenarios at play, but I get the impression none of them involve the club (TB) spending £10m on a player.

- The players the club want are out of it's league (in every sense)
- The clubs playing budget can't handle a £10m player.
- Shite players still cost £10m

Because at no point have offers of £10m been tabled, rumoured or even mentioned.

All we have is the 'market is over heated', and 1 heavily conditioned offer somewhere between 5 & 7 million rising to above 8, for a player who has barely kicked a ball this season.

We all get it.
We understand football finances and the stupidity therein.
We accept TB isn't getting this far then pushing all his chips in on a player who could turn out to be the next Leon (not the) Best.
All of this is before we get into the frankly ridiculous situation of actually paying to borrow a player the parent club wants off it's hands.

But then again we didn't buy a business who's comedic adage says:-

'wow how do you get a million pounds'.
'Oh it's easy, start with a billion and buy a football club'.

At some point, all the time the yoof set up is mirroring the first team, this mythical deal has to be done.
That time appears to be getting more urgent as the club creates a fantastic, Premier League Ready, squad to play Championship football, and having no shots on goal.

We all know it's the one deal AMEX era Albion has shied away from, always looking for the comparatively cheap (in football terms, not the Albion's) option.
Through all that time the one true fact is that the transfer market for strikers has exponentially risen.

There's a reason Trevor Francis was the first million pound player and not Peter Shilton.

Brilliant. In a nutshell, pay the market price or shut up PB...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brilliant. In a nutshell, pay the market price or shut up PB...

I can imagine there's a striker the club has wanted for x transfer windows.

When the club first asked after him they were told about £5m, to which the club said 'no that's not a realistic valuation'.
I bet they were right as well.

Having chased that player through subsequent windows, irrespective of form, goals, injures, games played, it wouldn't surprise me if the club is now quoted nearer £10m for same player, who it could easily be argued still isn't worth the original £5m.
Yet some nimrod Chairman will have gone out and paid just that.

It's one thing to correctly say 'well he's just not worth it'.
But a very different thing to decide the entire market isn't worth it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Reasonable, although a lift to the top of the West would have been better...

Yes. There are a lot of steps...:)
but they do have a valid point with lifts about being in a position to easily evacuate the stadium.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you really just saying that TB will never ever pay (or loan) for a striker worth £8m +
is that it ?
Ok. Calleri ?

I don't understand how failed deals have become currency.

Not offering enough money for pilchard and Calleri doesn't mean the club has enough money to make these deals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here