Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best thing to do in Sussex as a child?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Back when I was a kid, a trip to Newhaven beach; sand within the harbour walls, watch the ferry go out, run along the top of the harbour wall when the sea got up enough to splash you without quite washing you off. Then back along the lower level weaving in and out of the arches. Then scale the slopy part of the cliffs and gain entry to the gun positions in the then totally abandoned fort and explore a few of the dark tunnels before returning down the cliff to face questioning from worried parents
Happy days

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Back when I was a kid, a trip to Newhaven beach; sand within the harbour walls, watch the ferry go out, run along the top of the harbour wall when the sea got up enough to splash you without quite washing you off. Then back along the lower level weaving in and out of the arches. Then scale the slopy part of the cliffs and gain entry to the gun positions in the then totally abandoned fort and explore a few of the dark tunnels before returning down the cliff to face questioning from worried parents
Happy days

Did the Newhaven Fort tunnels looking around with mates/brother when it was all abandoned, prior to it getting opened as a visitor centre in the 1980's and 1990's.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Before they built Moulscoomb station, climbing up the bridge, getting through a gap in the fence and seeing who could get closest to the trains as they came past at about 5000mph.
"Borowing" golf balls as they came over the hill at Hollingbury.
Throwing dog shit at the parkie in Saunders park.
Waiting till someone went into the bog at Carden Avenue bus stop for a poo then lobbing a lit banger in the window (got punched in the gob by a red faced man for that one).

Never needed an Xbox...

Did that golf ball trick at Peacehaven golf course. The experienced players simply knew they hadn't misplaced their drive, so instead looked angrily for the brats who'd pinched their balls.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Going in the sea at Newhaven beach when a boat was coming into the harbour which created lots of waves.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Playing in the street with neighbourhood friends when only one household had a car which only parked there in the evenings and weekends.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
It does bring back happy memories, but it doesn't sit easy.

I was transported back in time the other day. Took a load of SEN kids to the Guildford Spectrum for a skate. Last time I was there, it seemed brand spanking new. Skates almost as old a me, decrepit corridors, a Wimpy and people with a fashion sense locked in the 80s. Wimpy! They had run out of cutlery and plates though, unless their ideals have changed.

That Wimpy is actually relatively new. It was a Burger King for years. How I would love to see Wimpy start taking back the Macdonalds and Burger Kings on the high street.

Can you really call the Spectrum decrepit..have you been to the King Alfred recently?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Two words: Pirates Deep.

Amazing, dangerous, fun place.

Two kids got taken away by ambulance at my 6th Birthday Party. Nothing like some boisterous rough and tumble. Character building really.

Sadly, it'd never get past Health and Safety inspectors these days.

PIRATES DEEP ... LOVED THIS PLACE... the little dark room with the punch bags and then bright spacious upstairs with the windows looking out onto the sea. The ball pit and the slide. Loved it

King Alfred was good too

Brooklands (the train was wicked)

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Banging/Fiddling the slot machines on the pier.

A good one was to stuff a rag up the payout slot, and when the 'lucky' winner went to get the attendant to complain of getting no winnings, we would nip in and pull out the rag and get the money.

Happy days

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Going rock-pooling down at Black Rock when the tide was out (before they built the Marina).

Dodging the waves on the Undercliff Walk when the sea was really rough.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Saturday mornings at the Odeon. Hundreds of kids left there whilst parents went off shopping = chaos and fun for the kids.

This.

Going rock-pooling down at Black Rock when the tide was out (before they built the Marina).

And this.

Jumping into the sea at high tide at saltdean , had to time the waves as they crashed against the wall !

And you had to avoid all the turds floating past that had come out of the open sewer pipe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here