Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest Pubs in Brighton

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
The Junction in Burgess Hill. My sister used to go in there because she was mates with all the loons and they used to have regular lock ins where the entertainment was provided by a bouncer swinging his chainsaw around.

Even in the days when it was the Royal George, the Junction was desperately shyte. But if possible, it got worse. My last experience of it was at Burgess Hill bonfire night a few years back. As the going home bus was picking us up from the Junction, a group of us wandered in after the fireworks and were greeted by the customary mayhem and as we stood at the bar getting a drink Lord B had the following, quite bizarre conversation:

Bloke at Bar: What you dressed up as?
Lord B: Valencians
Bloke at Bar: No you isn't. Because I from Valencia and we never dress like this!

At which point the conversation was cut short by an incident involving several glasses and a great deal of blood. Not that this bothered the bouncers or the bleeders.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It was a right characterless dump...not so much rough as dodgy.
The thought of "Bert and his organ" always put me off.

Nastiest place I can think of was/is the Spread Eagle...shut down until further notice.

Don't know if it's coincident with the Spread Eagle closing but there were some right scruffy drunks with a Staffie cross and a kid in a buggy in the Napier watching England, they were asked to leave twenty mins or so after kick off.

When I worked at Hollingbury we'd avoid The Snipe to get to The Long Man, I was warned never to go there.

I used to like the Spreadmobile the beat up old transit they would use to transport alkies about in. The Spread was alright had many a good laugh in there.

Jan 30, 2008
Many years ago there was The Ship on the Lewes Road, not far from the Royal Hussar, closed by police more times than I can remember.
Shut for years, now opened as a religious centre for the college next door I believe.
Had my first pint there:drink:
WAS THAT THE ONE THAT HAD THE STRIPPERS ON SAT LUNCH TIME??

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Even in the days when it was the Royal George, the Junction was desperately shyte. But if possible, it got worse. My last experience of it was at Burgess Hill bonfire night a few years back. As the going home bus was picking us up from the Junction, a group of us wandered in after the fireworks and were greeted by the customary mayhem and as we stood at the bar getting a drink Lord B had the following, quite bizarre conversation:

Bloke at Bar: What you dressed up as?
Lord B: Valencians
Bloke at Bar: No you isn't. Because I from Valencia and we never dress like this!

At which point the conversation was cut short by an incident involving several glasses and a great deal of blood. Not that this bothered the bouncers or the bleeders.

The Royal George and The Junction were actually different pubs. The Royal George no longer exists but was also a shite hole.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Many years ago there was The Ship on the Lewes Road, not far from the Royal Hussar, closed by police more times than I can remember.
Shut for years, now opened as a religious centre for the college next door I believe.
Had my first pint there:drink:

Saw my first stripper at The Ship - "Strip at The Ship" on Friday lunchtimes - used go go down there with my lecturers from Brighton Poly.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
well there's a thing: I didn't know there was an Uncle Sam's in Patcham. What a useful thing NSC is. I shall visit there before my next match.

The Uncle Sams is in a little parade next to The Snipe. It's more Hollingbury, but the locals like to say Patcham as it sounds posher :rolleyes:

Regarding pubs, The Hussar always made me a bit anxious, but was good for watching boxing on the telly on a Saturday night. Going back to the 80's now though...

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I thought the Ship and the Hussar were one and the same?

Different and unique pubs

As posted elsewhere, the Ship was bought by Brighton University and is now to do with their religious arm, and The Hussar (AKA The Cock and Bottle) has become The Lectern, with a more studenty clientele

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
the maytree portslade when it was their,esp in the late 80s,the local chelsea headhunters used to plot up in their friday nites,one of their main lads used to live nearbye

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What worries me is that I have used most of those as locals at some point in my life.

I grew updown the road from the Red Lion, had my first correct age drinks in what is now the Whisle stop and the Kendal was my local for about ten years.

My first works do was at the Royal George.

Used to go to The Clyde when I was 15 which was pretty tasty some nights and the Adur and the Blue anchor had their moments too. I don't know about about being dangerous they just seemed a bit rough.

I have been to much worse places in Manchester and Cardiff !

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Now I am really worried we used to live along Elmore Road. Edward Street used to have a pub about every twenty yards - if you look at the buildings on the south side of the road you can see where some used to be. The Thurlow was interesting too

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
It was only a matter of time before the Hikers got a mention. Is the Bevendean still open, that was a little frayed around the edges the one time I went in there.
The Westbourne on Portland Road was a horror show in its previous existance as the Aldrington and lastly the Whistle Stop at Portslade Station, the only pub I know with door staff on a Saturday afternoon(with the obviouse exception of the Sportsman)

Good call on the Whistlestop. The Mill House in Portslade on its day was good for a fight. Although it now has new owners and seems much better.

Any pub on the side of a station is a potential. The Merry Munk in Lancing anyone?

Good call on the Whistlestop. The Mill House in Portslade on its day was good for a fight. Although it now has new owners and seems much better.

I was in there last night for the England game (as none of you bastards would help recommend me a decent boozer)... wasn't toooo bad but I still felt slightly out of place being the only one in there with all my teeth intact, put it that way.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
the bar at Hotel du Vin. NAILS

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I went to Vavoom the other day and it was full of skinheads all eyeballing me!

It was a right characterless dump...not so much rough as dodgy.
The thought of "Bert and his organ" always put me off.

Nastiest place I can think of was/is the Spread Eagle...shut down until further notice.

Don't know if it's coincident with the Spread Eagle closing but there were some right scruffy drunks with a Staffie cross and a kid in a buggy in the Napier watching England, they were asked to leave twenty mins or so after kick off.

When I worked at Hollingbury we'd avoid The Snipe to get to The Long Man, I was warned never to go there.

I was in the Napier last night and saw these people it looked like the fourteen year old lad was in charge of a pisshead, a two year old and another scrote plus the dog! Some people are unbelievable!

Why was the Spread closed any idea?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here