Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They are but I must say the Sergison was far better than the dross served at the Beechurst (Haywards Heath Harvester) which is awful IMHO.

You can’t compare M&C with a Harvester...........they’re ALL awful. M&C can be a bit patchy but the HH version seems to be alright. Better than Patcham for sure.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wondering how the bread conversation went there...

"An artisanal sour dough will really pair well with the rest of our offering"

"**** that. Cheap sliced white is the way forward."

Ha ha. Keeping it real!

Yeah, the bread is a quirk of The Bird. If you scroll back to the burgers you’ll see they use a supermarket muffin in The Bird burger joint. The Bird BBQ uses Sunbless white sliced.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ha ha. Keeping it real!

Yeah, the bread is a quirk of The Bird. If you scroll back to the burgers you’ll see they use a supermarket muffin in The Bird burger joint. The Bird BBQ uses Sunbless white sliced.

Yeah I saw the burger picture and the comment on the use of an English muffin. I've long thought that combo is a good one though, so let it pass.

And white sliced bread can be one of life's great things, of course - just a bit of a surprise to see it on that platter!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah I saw the burger picture and the comment on the use of an English muffin. I've long thought that combo is a good one though, so let it pass.

And white sliced bread can be one of life's great things, of course - just a bit of a surprise to see it on that platter!

Given everything else on that tray ticks all the usual homemade, locally sourced etc etc boxes I agree it’s a surprise. But it does work, in that way only squidgy white sliced bread works with a bacon or sausage sandwich or fried bread.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I saw that. My first thought is that when they include corner shops and Poundland ( really ?? ) it somewhat devalues the overall scheme. Also there are a number of places on that list that I've eaten at - one with a kitchen you can actually see - and I have to say, I'm sceptical as to the accuracy of the scoring. The scores certainly won't stop me using the places I've used before that are on the list. I'm more likely to consider Tripadvisor scoring than this system.

The EHO are completely objective, and concerned with consumer safety, whereas TA can be/is a loud haler for loons and nuts with grudges, it's not fair to compare them, they're completely different beasts.

I agree with your broader point about going to places based on your own experiences though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That Lawrence chap off this year’s Masterchef Professionals is the bollocks. Winner, shirley? Anyway, his cooking has persuaded me to book a Sat Bains package for my birthday. £155/head for a room, 7-course tasting menu, and breakfast at a Michelin 2* joint? Bargain.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Royal George .
Shoreham / Holmbush
All you can eat Breakfast buffet. £4.99
Unlimited hot drinks . £1.99

Went this morning for a freinds’ Birthday brekkie.

I had:
3 sausages
3 rashers
Beans,
Hash browns
Chips (I know but )
Tomato
4 eggs
Fried slice
2 slices of Holy Ghost
4or 5 cups of bumble.

It was lush. I’ve been a few times before and I am surprised at the quality of the ingredients. Good, meaty sausages, quality rashers, and the rest is quality too. Not top class but it’s a fiver for gawds sakes. I only wish they did mushrooms.
We spent about three hours chatting and eating. As we were leaving the lunch carvery came out. That looked great. The meat!

I think a few of us are gonna spend the day there after Christmas , brekkie, lunch and dinner would only cost you about 25 quid and you can get nicely sozzled at the same time. Bring the papers, have a chat, eat and drink. Pay Next to nothing and leave all the washing up behind. Lush.

They do veggie sausage but you have to order that.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

In BBQ places in South (US) that's exactly how the bread comes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In BBQ places in South (US) that's exactly how the bread comes.

That's quite something because my experience of bread in the US is that it's generally pretty shit (See also: cheese and chocolate). Plenty of times I'd have killed for a slice of white bread!

(Having been a veggie for over 25 years, BBQ places have had limited appeal for me when I'm over there!)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
64 Degrees. Chef's selection menu.

Very good throughout, but by christ it's a lot of money. North of £140 for two with a bottle of wine.

I'm not sure it's worth it to be honest.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
64 Degrees. Chef's selection menu.

Very good throughout, but by christ it's a lot of money. North of £140 for two with a bottle of wine.

I'm not sure it's worth it to be honest.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I always see these places as a treat so expect to pay the going rate which is quite often approaching £100 per head.

My last meal was £315 for me and the wife in the Gingerman. We were there for over 3 hours and went for the tasting menu with wine. We also had a fair amount to drink.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That's quite something because my experience of bread in the US is that it's generally pretty shit (See also: cheese and chocolate). Plenty of times I'd have killed for a slice of white bread!

(Having been a veggie for over 25 years, BBQ places have had limited appeal for me when I'm over there!)

Just back from Seattle and had a cooked breakfast with sourdough toast. The food, bread and Bloody Mary was superb.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Mrs. Cowfold has a 'surgical proceedure' to undergo early in the new year, and l am planning to book a table at Etch afterwards as a special treat. A good choice do you think?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I always see these places as a treat so expect to pay the going rate which is quite often approaching £100 per head.

My last meal was £315 for me and the wife in the Gingerman. We were there for over 3 hours and went for the tasting menu with wine. We also had a fair amount to drink.

I know that I am old and probably out of touch but I cannot for the life of me see how any meal could warrant a £100 per head irrespective of who the chef is and what food he/she has cooked

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Go to The Sportsman. Last time, we were in there for over five hours, eating for the vast majority of it (c13 courses). Very decent wine, c1.5 bottles a head. £270.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here