Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'One-shot' penalties and deliberate handball.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Any player on the floor holding their head should be taken off the pitch immediately and stay off for the remainder of the game to watch for concussion.

And if they touch the ‘injured area’ pathetically looking for blood then they should be rested for 3 matches. Just in case it starts bleeding later.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A clock which stops when the ball is out of play, a la Basketball / NFL.

Can't be hard, certainly for professional games.

I read in a recent Cardiff home game, the ball was in play for 42 minutes out of the 90.

It would stop time wasting at a stroke.

Perhaps shorten the game to 35 or 40 minutes a half, but you'd certainly be getting more 'ball in play time' than you do at the moment.

I've always advocated independent time keepers as the amount of football played is getting less and less. The game wouldn't drag on much longer as the incentive to time waste other than to disrupt momentum would be eliminated. It wouldn't then matter what side of the pitch the subs leave the field.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Any player who requires treatment following a challenge which has been penalised by the award of a free-kick should NOT be required to leave the pitch once the treatment has been given.

This has always struck me as a bloody stupid rule as the team who has been fouled against suffers a disadvantage when taking the free-kick.

I think the person who committed the foul should be sidelined until the person fouled returns to the field.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
A player who takes the ball and shields it near the corner flag to waste time near the end of the match can be kicked in the bollocks without it being a foul.

Probably showing my general ignorance here but when players shield the ball and make no attempt play to it, so that it runs out of play thus preventing the opposing player getting to it, sometimes by backing into the player repeatedly, why is this not obstruction?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Probably showing my general ignorance here but when players shield the ball and make no attempt play to it, so that it runs out of play thus preventing the opposing player getting to it, sometimes by backing into the player repeatedly, why is this not obstruction?

As long as the ball is within playing distance then its not obstruction, its shielding. Which is perfectly legal.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
As long as the ball is within playing distance then its not obstruction, its shielding. Which is perfectly legal.
They do get away with "shielding" it from about ten feet away though. Which I've always thought was a bit shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here