Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Do you play a musical instrument

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Guitar for 50 years, and if I had had the endless YouTube tutorial videos available to me instead of Bert Weedon's "Play in a Day" (which you couldn't, or, well, I couldn't) then I wouldn't be where I am today - "Now look at them yo-yos, that's the way you do it,You play the guitar on the MTV". OK so I played two numbers with a band called "Medicine Head" in 1969. Afterwards they had a top twenty hit. My influence? I doubt it.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Play drums. I can play quite happy on an electric or acoustic kit but i belong to a Lewes based street drumming band called Skulldrummery.

Wish I'd learnt the guitar...especially acoustic and i've just bought a Ukelele so who knows.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I can play the intro to voodo chile acoustic version by Hendrix, Badge by cream, more than a feeling by Boston and Stairways to Amex by Led Zeppelin.

The problem is I couldn't tell you the name of the strings and I can't use a plectrum just my fingers. So I can play the guitar but I can't play the guitar at the same time if that makes any sense

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
The hardest challenge seems to be trying to play and sing at the same time! HOW do you do that?

Takes a while. Pick a song or three that you really like and check out the chords online to make sure its not too advanced for you. Go on You Tube and seek out 'acoustic tutorial' for that song so you can choose a style/arrangement\skill level that is achievable for you. Practice regularly until you are comfortable with the chord changes and rhythm and then start to hum the tune so you can get the harmony, then add the words. It is difficult at first because you are going to concentrate on the guitar sound rather than the words. You will find it difficult to separate the cadence and rhythm of the lyrics with what you are doing with your hands, one is constant (guitar) and the other not so. Practice, practice practice!!! Once you are more proficient at picking up tunes on the guitar you will find it easier to put the lyrics over the top. Have fun!
:rock:

I used to play drums, then picked up guitar in my early twenties, later some harmonica. I have busked and done a few solo pub gigs, played drums and harmonica in a few bands, but now mainly play for my own enjoyment at home.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Haven't played a musical instrument since the recorder at School, decades ago.

But then have wanted to learn to play the acoustic guitar for ages. So took the plunge late last year.

Managed to break a string on the thing at my first attempt to tune it, so that resulted in much foul language just to replace it. Then it took about 4 attempts to get it tuned correctly.

Since then I've used a couple of apps on my phone from Fender. One is a tuning app, and I've signed up for lessons of Fender Play. It's not bad, and you can actually have a free trial for one month.

I can now strum a few chords, but not got round to a whole song yet. It's a real challenge, but keeping at it results in progress every so often. Actually, strumming chords actually feels/sounds quite good anyway.

I've 49 this year, so goes to show you are never too old.

Trouble is, I can't go past guitar shops in Brighton now, without gazing longingly at some of the acoustics and electrics. So this could be an expensive hobby to get into....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have been known to PLAY with my ORGAN in public, and also SIGN with one of London's BESTEST choirs.
I thought you were a experienced player of the One String Banjo?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I twiddle on the guitar, but was the vocalist for a 'rock' band in the early 70s. We were compete shit, but we did play the Clare Hall in Haywards Heath once. Neil Brand (of music hall piano fame, and mate of Paul Merton) was our bass player. Our lead guitarist is now a professor of biochemistry in Canada. Our band had the worst band name of all time (not my choice). I am still far too ashamed to post it here. It makes 'Vardis', 'Analcunt', and 'High flying Clive and his hi fi five' pale into insignificance by comparison:lolol:

My son, on the other hand, is extremely talented and can sing and play guitar at the same time. And his latest band has a good name.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Alright we've got a guitar, sax, accordion, a shit ( apparently) rhythm guitar and singer and me "thunderthumbs" on bass.

We're puttin the BAND back together.

And there's a drummer.which is nice when s someone needs to die of an overdose.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Self taught drummer. Average acoustic guitar player and used to be vocalist in a band. Sadly our bass guitarist lost his life in a RTA on his motorbike and the band didn’t continue. Sad but I will forever hold the good memories we all had together.

Thats how a work colleague went. Really enjoyed the times he strummed to himself during dinner break

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Bass. I played in a few bands in the 90s. Then the best guitarist I’ve ever met decided that he was going to go Christian just as we were breaking through and didn’t want to rock anymore...I just gave up...

Sad really but hey ho.

A bass player I know decided to teach their teenage daughter to play bass.

On the Monday, he taught her to play an open A.
On the Tuesday, he taught her to play an open G.
On the Wednesday she texted him 'sorry Dad, can't make the lesson, I've got a gig'

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A bass player I know decided to teach their teenage daughter to play bass.

On the Monday, he taught her to play an open A.
On the Tuesday, he taught her to play an open G.
On the Wednesday she texted him 'sorry Dad, can't make the lesson, I've got a gig'

My dream gig would be bassist with AC/DC or Status Quo.

Money for, almost litteraly, nothing.

What a sweet sweet ride those lads have had.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
4 years ago, on my 50th birthday, around @R.Slickers house, who threw the party for me, ( he's the best, along with his sausages!) where we had the best barbie and 50th anyone could wish for, I decided that I would learn the guitar, after a life of watching friends play and not joining in.

Best decision I made for years. Absolutely loving it massive time,

Of course it's difficult to start with, because you feel a bit silly, but it's like building blocks, just do one thing at a time.

I was lucky because a busker lived above me and he gave me confidence, and we played together loads.. Just learn the main chords separately and flawlessly, and then build them together.

Of course it seems to take ages, but keep at it and never stop. Make sure the chord that you are on rings true otherwise do it again. Make the sound ring.

As a side note, because of my learning guitar, my son has started and is gifted, and I've met a few pros and chatted about it, and all were so supportive, most notably, a couple of the Blockheads while having something herbal in their motor, and Nik Kershaw, who taught me AM ( a minor ).

It's a beautifull thing. :rock::rock::rock::rock:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
How do you make a guitarist go quiet ?

Put a music score in front of them

How do you make them shut up ?

Put notes on it

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Play guitar, bass and banjo. Dabble with a cajon. Used to play trumpet in a ska band about 10 years ago.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here