Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Tories hit new LOWS with the Windrush situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I’ve been registered here for 5. I really and truly cannot understand why the U.K. does not have a register like Germany, Japan and many other developed nations. Genuine question: why does the U.K. not have a register? Can anyone explain why?

Tony Blair scrapped it when he opened the immigration floodgates, or similar, like registering people who arrived.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Are people finally realising what a shambles our govenment is?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Out of interest what makes you a Corbyinista? I am really struggling to find anything to recommend the man.

I'm lifelong left leaning on social issues but shudder to think of him, Abbott and McConnell in the nation's hot seat.

I'll give you that one.

D

Deleted member 22389

Tony Blair scrapped it when he opened the immigration floodgates, or similar, like registering people who arrived.

That's right, and the idea of identity cards went against peoples human rights.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am really struggling here to understand what benefits could be claimed in these circumstances. Could this be grants or tax exemptions? Either way I am not sure this is directly relevant to a discussion on residency.

It strikes me as relevant to a conversation about policy intending to stop health/benefits tourism, as others have called it. Can't be arsed to argue the toss on that though.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
I’ve been registered here for 5. I really and truly cannot understand why the U.K. does not have a register like Germany, Japan and many other developed nations. Genuine question: why does the U.K. not have a register? Can anyone explain why?

Instead people have to cobble together evidence. It’s a total farce which has now, due to May’s law change, resulted in decent people being forcibly removed to nations they have never known. Utterly disgusting, and the sooner we get this far-right shower of shit out of government the better. And it’s also disgusting that some are trying to defend it.
By "register" I assume you mean ID card too?.... how has that idea flown with the liberal lefties in the UK when proposed previously.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
its been a while since the I.D. debate.
The world has changed a lot
If even Herr T is calling for a national register, is anyone still against an all encompassing ID scheme nowadays.......would sort out many issues

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Er... we've never had such a register in the UK. People have always been free to move to what ever town or city they like. I moved to London in 1982 and didn't have to tell anyone.

That's right, and the idea of identity cards went against peoples human rights.

By "register" I assume you mean ID card too?.... how has that idea flown with the liberal lefties in the UK when proposed previously.

That's completely the wrong way round. It was a Labour government that introduced the Identity Card Act, it was repealed by the coalition government in 2010.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The prime minister's refusal to meet Caribbean Heads of Government to discuss this, when they are already in London for Commonwealth meeting, just looks really poor, short sighted and dare I say it smacks of Little Englander mentality.

the official line was they didn't want a formal meeting on this single item, as the leaders were here all week it could be discussed. misguided given the importance, not quite the refusal being portrayed.
and if the Home Office are only successful in 50% of appeals, that should tell them they have something wrong but try telling bureaucrat that.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You know perfectly well I was talking about the issue, the situation rather than the original migration.

Regardless it doesn't detract from the fact he's making a mountain out of a mole hill over language rather than the utterly immoral actions of the Home Office, who along with HMRC and the DWP ( Dicks, W@nk3rs and Pricks ) show how completely incompetent the government and it's structures really are.
Whether you were talking about the original migration or the situation , why the fvck are YOU ashamed ? Talk about white middle class guilt.................

D

Deleted member 22389

Er... we've never had such a register in the UK. People have always been free to move to what ever town or city they like. I moved to London in 1982 and didn't have to tell anyone.

That's completely the wrong way round. It was a Labour government that introduced the Identity Card Act, it was repealed by the coalition government in 2010.

All I remember was that the identity card went against peoples human rights, which is utterly pathetic. Whoever said what, introducing an identity card in the future would solve a load of problems.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
A very moving interview on BBC Breakfast this morning with Paulette, a lady in her 60s, who came here as a 10 year old.
She got a letter out of the blue, last year telling her she was illegal, and she had just six weeks to prove she was legal. She ended up in a detention centre.
She has now been to the Home Office and has a card saying she is legal BUT it only lasts until 2024. She is very shaken, hurt and upset by all this, when she has done nothing wrong. She may have to go all through this again.
She said the apology from Amber Rudd is only a very small part of what has to be put right.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
A very moving interview on BBC Breakfast this morning with Paulette, a lady in her 60s, who came here as a 10 year old.
She got a letter out of the blue, last year telling her she was illegal, and she had just six weeks to prove she was legal. She ended up in a detention centre.
She has now been to the Home Office and has a card saying she is legal BUT it only lasts until 2024. She is very shaken, hurt and upset by all this, when she has done nothing wrong. She may have to go all through this again.
She said the apology from Amber Rudd is only a very small part of what has to be put right.

So she has been acknowledged as being here since 10, acknowledged as legal and has temporary status until 2024 which is considered a long enough time frame for her to get her act together and claim citizenship it has been deemed she is entitled to if she applies for it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No. It’s just a register.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So she has been acknowledged as being here since 10, acknowledged as legal and has temporary status until 2024 which is considered a long enough time frame for her to get her act together and claim citizenship it has been deemed she is entitled to if she applies for it

This is a 60 year old lady, show some compassion and understanding please.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

There has never been a register. Do keep up.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
It's nothing to do with sides. The implementation of the legislation is at best incompetent and at worst illegal - it is definately immoral. Yes as a taxpayer I want my money protected from common thieves BUT not to the detriment of innocent people losing their jobs, their homes, their legal residency. I'd rather it cost me a few extra quid in tax and avoid this mess. I know, why don't we apply these rules to EVERYONE - can't provide documentation for every year you've lived here ? Bad luck - you're off to Iceland.

No! Not Mum!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

no. under the rules in place at time she arrived she has right of abode, so it should be on the government to sort out this out and return that status since they stirred up this clusterfudge. it shouldnt be on people to have to run around because the government cocked up, they have to backtrack and put in place a proper system to filter those that various law applies to. seems to me a straight forward amnesty on all who arrived before 1971 (or other sensible year), and use NI to check on that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I am often at a loss on here when reading particularly the left wing polarised responses, that they cannot also see the wider picture on this type of issue. Why can't they see that this nation's officials make all the usual human mistakes from time to time, but this is separate and different to a concerted and organised policy of discrimination and bigotry.

I partly agree with you - human mistakes will always happen BUT it's the response from ministers, government departments and civil servants that is a key measure. Nearly always they only back down AFTER being shown publicly to be wrong. Even the statements coming out now aren't 'Yes, we got this entirely wrong and we'll do anything to put it right' - all the apologies seem forced, not real. Try dealing with HMRC or the DWP and see how quickly you get the 'We're right and you're wrong attitude'. And in this case that attitude and those mistakes have cost people their jobs, their homes, their mental and physical health and their ability to live here - those that have made these 'mistakes' should be punished and punished with being sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here