Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How emotional/wound up/stressed do you get during a game?

el punal

QPR last season was one of the worst for me. I couldn't go so watched it via NOWtv. I actually left the front room and stood in the garden for 10 minutes to get some fresh air, until my husband came to the back door to tell me it was ok.

For me that was THE moment that I knew we were going to be promoted. I couldn't go to QPR as my wife and I were about to fly to Mexico to see our daughter. So there I was stuck in the departure lounge at Heathrow, I refused to watch any of the TV screens that could possibly come up with score updates. I refused to check my phone as well. The minutes crawled by until 9.30 when it came to boarding. This is it, I thought, now or never. I checked my phone to find out we were 2-1 up, but still playing. I was shaking like a leaf - come on, come on, blow the f****** whistle! Slowly making our way to board the plane and l finally checked my phone again - FT 2-1!!

It is an understatement to say that I went bat shit crazy, other passengers thought - who is this odd person? The plane flew at 38,000 feet that night and me, another 10,000 feet higher. Wonderful! :O

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm ok until the last ten minutes, plus injury time. If we're leading by a single goal, then I'm a nervous wreck and convinced we're going to concede and throw away two points.
It can also work that way when it's a draw and we're attacking although that's more excitement than stress. I wonder if the device can tell the difference?

Edit to add, I agree with Hans Kraay above. If we're losing by two or more goals, then I know we can't do anything so stay relaxed.

100% this.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
The only time i got really annoyed was with that young Arsenal player we had on loan . He made no effort . What was his name ?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I'm often struck, during game time, by the absolute absurdity of sitting watching a game that I love played by a team that I love, and desperately, desperately wanting it all to be over, finished, gone away. Crazy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm often struck, during game time, by the absolute absurdity of sitting watching a game that I love played by a team that I love, and desperately, desperately wanting it all to be over, finished, gone away. Crazy.

Yes, especially during added on time. I look at the clock, add however many minutes the board says and then count them down. Crazy is the right word.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Great thread [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION]

For me, I’m generally angry the entire game, never aimed at our team, mainly officials and opposition in that order. (I was like that when I played as well).

It probably is a form of stress, and thankfully my blood pressure is controlled by medication.

However, the last 10 minutes, I generally start to calm (though others around would disagree), and if we are leading by the odd goal, and defending deeper and deeper wait for the inevitable, resigned it will happen.

Then when it doesn’t, cue celebration......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here