Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
More people need to listen to Ought - More than any Other Day. It is such a fantastic album, what a debut!!

I need to go any buy that Andy Stott album this weekend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been enjoying the Owen Pallett In Conflict album recently. Not a million miles from East India Youth. A very talented musician who also understands melody.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
More people need to listen to Ought - More than any Other Day. It is such a fantastic album, what a debut!!

I need to go any buy that Andy Stott album this weekend.

Ought album has one great track on it -- the second one -- in my view. On SHC's advice, I bought Andy Stott the other day, am listening to it (again) at the moment, and loving it. SHC aligned it with Vessel's Punish Honey, and I can't do any better than that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What records are people looking forward to in 2015?

Sleater Kinney, Viet Cong, HEALTH, Modest Mouse, Julia Holter (hopefully), Panda Bear, A Place To Bury Strangers, Zun Zun Egui, John Maus, Deerhunter (hopefully.)

Locally - Slum of Legs, Cold Pumas, British Sea Power (I'd imagine...), Sealings (finally.)

Since writing my top ten, I've been out and bought a few more, three of which deserve to be in there: Andy Stott, Melanie Di Biasio and Timber Timbre. Good list, and I agree that 2014 is not up to 2013's standard, along with your comments about nostalgia.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A few albums I'm looking forward to for 2015:

Belle and Sebastian
The Waterboys

Oh yes, these two are big, big events in my household. Really hoping they live up to expectations.

Others include:

Father John Misty
Of Montreal
Laura Marling
Public Service Broadcasting
Bjork (allegedly)
Panda Bear
..and hopefully the XX

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Next year has the potential to be one of the best years for Hip-Hop in my lifetime and that's no hyperbole (although I am only 20.) There's going to be a battle between the new wave of Hip-Hop and the legends of the game.

Kids: Joey Bada$$ (20/1), Action Bronson, ASAP Rocky, Aesop Rock & Blueprint, Casey Vegas, Chance The Rapper, Earl Sweatshirt, Flatbush Zombies, Freddie Gibbs, Jay Electronica, Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Lil Durk, Mac Miller, Pusha T, Yelawolf (confirmed but no date). Then there's Killer Mike, OFWGKTA, AND Zebra Katz also being rumoured.

Old School: Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch (20/1), Lupe Fiasco (20/1), Tech N9ne (March 17), Ludacris (March 31), 50 Cent, Cam'ron & A-Trak, Busta Rhymes, Big Boi, Cannibal Ox, Canibus, Cypress Hill, DMX, GZA, Ice Cube, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Method Man, Nas, Q-Tip, Raekwon AND Slaughterhouse (no dates yet)

If even 1/4 of them are good then that's 10 good albums there. Most excited for Kendrick Lamar, if it's half as good as his previous two albums then I'm sure it'll be in my top 10. Zombies always go hard too. Kanye always delivers & seeing if people like Ice Cube & Cannibal Ox can still deliver a solid album will be interesting.

On a non hip-hop hype (sorry I got carried away a bit there) then there's still a host of albums I'm stoked for : Kat Dahlia (13/1), Panda Bear (13/1) Enter Shikari (20/1), Fallout Boy (20/1), Mark Ronson (27/1), Murder By Death (3/2), Imagine Dragons (17/2), Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (2/3), Fleetwood Mac, Guns 'n Roses, Young Guns, RHCP and Metallica (no date)

Add to that the albums that will be announced throughout the year, the albums I will find through here and the other sites I use, as well as the weird little debut albums I'll get hooked on. I CAN'T BLOODY WAIT. Never broken the 150 album mark in a year, but 2015 could be the one to change that.

Mad to think that only 3-4 years ago I'd listen to about 10 hip-hop albums a year and maybe the odd poppy rock album. Thank f*ck I've grown out that!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did anyone rate Syro, the Aphex Twin album?

It picked up Wire's album of the year gong so I'm giving it another go. It was one of those that I listened to, liked, put it on the 'come back to this pile' and never got back to it.

I see Pitchfork picked RTJ2. First hip hop record to win theirs since My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, IIRC

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Aphex Twin is one of those artists that I've never quite got. I know he's clever and I know what he does is very influential but in that same way as I'd rather listen to the bands influenced by Bob Dylan rather than the man himself, it just leaves me cold. This 2014 album was for sure, a lot more accessible than some of the early 90s stuff but even so, I was left feeling. "Yeah...okay but I think I prefer something with a tune to it".

It's all a bit atonal for my liking.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There's a music thread right there. Great musicians that you've never quite got. Mine would include Led Zep, Red Snapper (the whole Acid-Jazz scene to be honest), Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Arctic Monkeys....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There's a music thread right there. Great musicians that you've never quite got. Mine would include Led Zep, Red Snapper (the whole Acid-Jazz scene to be honest), Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Arctic Monkeys....

Am listening to Syro at the moment, and it's great to listen to while working. I'm a big fan of Led Zep, Bob Dylan and Stevie Wonder.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Springsteen has always left me cold. Far too overblown and histrionic for me. I once had an argument with a massive Springsteenfan who told me I didn't like him 'because I wasn't working class enough'. Although my favourite band is The Clash so maybe he had a point.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Aphex Twin is one of those artists that I've never quite got. I know he's clever and I know what he does is very influential but in that same way as I'd rather listen to the bands influenced by Bob Dylan rather than the man himself, it just leaves me cold. This 2014 album was for sure, a lot more accessible than some of the early 90s stuff but even so, I was left feeling. "Yeah...okay but I think I prefer something with a tune to it".

It's all a bit atonal for my liking.

I've never seen eye to eye with Aphex Twin either. This new album's doing nothing to change that. It doesn't help that every single Aphex Twin fan I've ever met has fit a certain profile.

I'm totally willing to conceede that I'm in the wrong here.

Still it took me nearly 5 years of listeneing to Trout Mask Replica on and off before I could recognise that for the masterpiece it is. So there's hope.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've never seen eye to eye with Aphex Twin either. This new album's doing nothing to change that. It doesn't help that every single Aphex Twin fan I've ever met has fit a certain profile.

I'm totally willing to conceede that I'm in the wrong here.

Still it took me nearly 5 years of listeneing to Trout Mask Replica on and off before I could recognise that for the masterpiece it is. So there's hope.

Do elaborate!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks to some time off over Christmas, a new Sonos system, some well placed hints to Santa and the brilliant CD I received as part of the Secret Santa thread I have spent an enjoyable few days catching up on new music. Anyone who saw the listing for the CD I sent out will see I look backwards for good music as much or more as forwards. Nevertheless it's been an amazing few days when I haven't been taking my kids out or watching us draw with Reading.

The Real Estate album has been on reasonably regular rotation. Having initially loved Sun Kil Moon I've found the whole thing hard to get on with. One depressing song is fine by me but anything titled I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love has me reaching for the skip button. I also got the John Grant Live with the BBC Philharmonic album and BOY what a cracker that is. Best played with a nice red once the kids are asleep though I found myself cooking to it today. The War On Drugs still take Album of the Year for me though, I have to physically restrain myself from taking it out of the CD rack if I'm honest. No idea why as I hate all the music it is seemingly influenced by but it has a complexity not unlike a very good vintage wine. Hope there's going to be a 2015 thread so i can steal all your ideas again. Thanks fellas. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here