Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Worthing prep going down hill fast. Have managed to get out twice in two weeks now thanks to work. One of those was just now but it was so hot I only managed 4 miles.

Sharing your frustration.......conference all week, only managed a couple of brief treadmill spins. Grrr. South Downs Way Relay next weekend so need to check one or two of my legs out this weekend (even though I should know them pretty well). Best event of all, absolutely love it. SDW split into 18 legs, run as a team of six, so you run 3 times in a day - 6.30am start and we'll hope to be done in about 13 hours. Effing hard doing your third leg after being up since 4am, already run 2 x 10k and spent several hours in a minibus

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sharing your frustration.......conference all week, only managed a couple of brief treadmill spins. Grrr. South Downs Way Relay next weekend so need to check one or two of my legs out this weekend (even though I should know them pretty well). Best event of all, absolutely love it. SDW split into 18 legs, run as a team of six, so you run 3 times in a day - 6.30am start and we'll hope to be done in about 13 hours. Effing hard doing your third leg after being up since 4am, already run 2 x 10k and spent several hours in a minibus

Good luck - and rather you than me!!

The relay / trail bit sounds great. The early start & minibus not so much.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Worthing prep going down hill fast. Have managed to get out twice in two weeks now thanks to work. One of those was just now but it was so hot I only managed 4 miles.

Will [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] catch his pacer?

It's certainly hot today. Have been digging neighbours ivy out and putting up a new fence in the hottest, most windless part of the garden. Drank 6 pints of water and now on the rose (with a little flick on the e not the bush) in prep. for Bevendean tomorrow. Have you been granted leave for the weakest link?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Will [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] catch his pacer?

It's certainly hot today. Have been digging neighbours ivy out and putting up a new fence in the hottest, most windless part of the garden. Drank 6 pints of water and now on the rose (with a little flick on the e not the bush) in prep. for Bevendean tomorrow. Have you been granted leave for the weakest link?

It's very likely I'll be in Birmingham for the week with a bunch of South Africans unfortunately (work, no cricket involved). Will know as soon as their flights are confirmed but it's not looking promising.

Meanwhile NSC's betting types should have a cheeky quid or two on [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] beating me by a considerable margin. He's a man in form. Last two runs my legs have been like jelly.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So I managed to wake up at 8:40 this morning. I made it within 1 minute of the start in Hove Park but no chance of Bevendean, sorry folks! I ran a 27:something which was all I needed to do, I certainly didn't want to go quickly.

The football tournament at the Amex was decent, but I got a couple of heavy knocks which have made me re-think the next week of training. Always the danger when you mix it up from football back to running again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
20.24 at the Prom for me today, well chuffed as not been under 21 since about June last year, especially after a week of laziness and overeating at a conference. Very steamy out there today.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hot and hilly Bevendean this morning with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. 25 runners so a good placing was achieved!

Best post Parkrun cafe experienced £5 for a full English at the Bevy afterwards.
9BA84BB0-6698-4E29-95D1-0156EC72919E.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
20.24 at the Prom for me today, well chuffed as not been under 21 since about June last year, especially after a week of laziness and overeating at a conference. Very steamy out there today.

Brilliant time. My last 12 months best is 20:19 so you might as well crack that next time.

Won't be getting anywhere near that for a while. Enjoyed Bevendean and placing ways it felt like the old days finishing 13 seconds behind [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] in a 26:13ish. Nice cardio work on the up slope.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The Bevendean fry up looks a bargain and is an attractive benefit to that run.

Gutted I couldn't make it today but had a reasonable run at PP instead.

I finished 7th in 19:17 although I was hoping for under 19:10. Possibly over done the running over the past two weeks and should have rested yesterday in the heat.

I was second for the first half mile but gradually got over taken. Felt I paced it better this week but the result was very similar to my last run.

Lindfield 10k Monday for me next followed by the Worthing 10k.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I saw the Bevendean winning time was 19:49 I'm presuming that would trump my 19:17 at Preston Park?
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] has run both so he is probably well placed to make a comparison. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] still has this course to complete the Brighton & Hove clean sweep.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I saw the Bevendean winning time was 19:49 I'm presuming that would trump my 19:17 at Preston Park?
[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] has run both so he is probably well placed to make a comparison. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] still has this course to complete the Brighton & Hove clean sweep.

I reckon you can apply a 1.5-2min handicap for Bevendean so I think you would have struggled to break 20 mins today. It's not an exact science - Bevendean is a long slog up followed by a long quick down - all done twice. So if you are particularly good at uphill or downhill running it could suit you more than PP.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Here's an interesting comparison

Male Record Average
Bev. 17:28 29:41
PPark 14:47. 26:59
Hove P. 14:28. 26:26
Prom. 14:46. 26:36

Given the large sample size this is probably a pretty good guide to the relative difficulty of the four Brighton parkruns suggesting Bevendean is quite a bit slower than the other three which are fairly equivalent. Obviously other factors come into it e.g. Bevendean times will get more affected by wet weather and the Prom times suffer in the wind.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I reckon the 2" rule is good with 30 seconds variance +/- for good or bad hill runners. Hard for me to tell personally as coming back from the long lay off. Only way to find out is to get out on the course.
I'm fitting in Eastbourne, PP, Worthing and 1 other for my on the road Parkrun tour over the next 4 weeks.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Running the Edinburg half marathon tomorrow. Anyone here doing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Running the Edinburg half marathon tomorrow. Anyone here doing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, done the full marathon a couple of times. Wouldn't rush back as the course is a bit dull and the organisation shite........suspect the half is a lot better (don't know where the route goes but the marathon is almost not in Edinburgh at all, and the finish is about 8 miles away in Musselburgh)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Here's an interesting comparison

Male Record Average
Bev. 17:28 29:41
PPark 14:47. 26:59
Hove P. 14:28. 26:26
Prom. 14:46. 26:36

Given the large sample size this is probably a pretty good guide to the relative difficulty of the four Brighton parkruns suggesting Bevendean is quite a bit slower than the other three which are fairly equivalent. Obviously other factors come into it e.g. Bevendean times will get more affected by wet weather and the Prom times suffer in the wind.

Some cracking stats there.

From my experience the Prom is quickest on a calm day, followed by PP then Hove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here