Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solly March

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You haven't answered me. Why would we need to sell if you assume we won't need him to go up? FFP means jack shit if we get over the line and Solly will give us a better chance of doing that.

If we don't go up even with him, then there's always the summer to 'balance the books' as you say. Not that I think he'd be the most likely to go even then.

Your suggestion just seems utter madness the day after the kid inspired a 2 goal turnaround and 3pts having been on the pitch for 20mins.

All of that.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Oh come on. Signing AK and Skalak and dovetailing him with Murphy we went on the rampage post January and racked up another huge unbeaten run and moved from goal scoring also rans to joint highest scores in the league. As far as impact from wide players I'd say that amounts to coping pretty well.

I know we didn't go up but the point I'm making is TB has stated that whilst we want to retain our players in Jan EVERY player has a price. Saints were interested pre injury and likely to be so again.

IF to comply with FFP we need to make a single player sale then hypothetically March is a sensible one to consider.

Let me also state I DONT want this to happen but nevertheless IF we had to lose anyone to balance the books then this one would upset the balance of the team the least and who knows might free up funds for the second striker/#10.
Nixonator's covered most the reasons already, but, just looking at it less from a somewhat cold-blooded business perspective and more romantically, why wouldn't you want to see what a local lad and undoubtedly one of our most exciting prospects could go on to achieve in the stripes? Especially on the Premier League stage.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Nixonator's covered most the reasons already, but, just looking at it less from a somewhat cold-blooded business perspective and more romantically, why wouldn't you want to see what a local lad and undoubtedly one of our most exciting prospects could go on to achieve in the stripes? Especially on the Premier League stage.

I absolutely do want to see that but I'm also sanguine about the sustainability of the club and the model that we'll need to adopt even when in the Prem which would be to foster young local talent and sell on at a large profit a la Southampton.

Anyone know whether Lewes have a sell on fee for Solly?

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
You haven't answered me. Why would we need to sell if you assume we won't need him to go up? FFP means jack shit if we get over the line and Solly will give us a better chance of doing that.

If we don't go up even with him, then there's always the summer to 'balance the books' as you say. Not that I think he'd be the most likely to go even then.

Your suggestion just seems utter madness the day after the kid inspired a 2 goal turnaround and 3pts having been on the pitch for 20mins.

I did say it was a contentious thought/idea.

I wouldn't sell him but TB has stated every player has their price and when better to jack that up to a club with a known interest. January when prices are at a Premium or the Summer when we might not have gained promotion and suddenly he wants to go and is trying to force the issue?

All of this is hypothetical and purely objective in relation to the requirements of our apparently perilous FFP position.

Oh and IF we do go up then FFP still does matter as if we breach FFP and go up then we'll be fined as per Bournemouth and QPR. (The fact neither have yet paid up and are legally challenging the ruling is a moot point with regards this discussion.)

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

I wouldn't sell him but TB has stated every player has their price and when better to jack that up to a club with a known interest. January when prices are at a Premium or the Summer when we might not have gained promotion and suddenly he wants to go and is trying to force the issue?

All of this is hypothetical and purely objective in relation to the requirements of our apparently perilous FFP position.

Oh and IF we do go up then FFP still does matter as if we breach FFP and go up then we'll be fined as per Bournemouth and QPR. (The fact neither have yet paid up and are legally challenging the ruling is a moot point with regards this discussion.)

Dale Stephens would be the one i'd consider cashing in for. Solly March looks like he's got potential to do well in the Prem. It would be insane to offload him. March and Knockaert on both wings is the stuff of dreams.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

It won't matter because before the financial year ends we'll get a nice big fat cheque from the PL courtesy of broadcasters.

I also wouldn't call our FFP (or whatever it is called now) position 'perilous'. If we believe the club statement then our permitted losses are around the 13M mark, meaning if we did the same for another 2 seasons we'd still fall in line with the rules.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
It won't matter because before the financial year ends we'll get a nice big fat cheque from the PL courtesy of broadcasters.

If that's the case then why we're Bournemouth fined?

I also wouldn't call our FFP (or whatever it is called now) position 'perilous'. If we believe the club statement then our permitted losses are around the 13M mark, meaning if we did the same for another 2 seasons we'd still fall in line with the rules.

I didn't call it perilous merely paraphrased the Argus article which I admit may have been sensationalist a tad.

Anyway, I was merely putting this out there as a potential solution to any potential problems or fears the Club have.

Genuine question: Do you fear a Southampton type model - blooding youngsters then flogging them on for highly inflated fees - whereby we lose our better players to balance the books?

Or do you think we can achieve sustainability purely on in increased tv and commercial revenues that come with the Premier league status? (I don't think we can fwiw)

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Dale Stephens would be the one i'd consider cashing in for. Solly March looks like he's got potential to do well in the Prem. It would be insane to offload him. March and Knockaert on both wings is the stuff of dreams.

I agree but doubt the same kind of money will be there in Jan for DS and actually I expect him to sign a new deal rather than leave.

Granted if it's a case of maybe generating a modest sum to make our FFP situation less borderline then yes maybe we can sell some of the lesser players - perhaps Kaz and maybe releasing Elvis is enough in this regard?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I thought Bournemouth had paid their fine.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I thought Bournemouth had paid their fine.
They did.

It's also worth pointing out that, since the start of this season, the FFP limit is 39m over a 3 year period. If we don't get promoted and need to sell a player(s) to bring us into line, then it makes far more sense to do it next July, rather than January when we're odds-on for a top 2 finish at the half way stage.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
They did.

It's also worth pointing out that, since the start of this season, the FFP limit is 39m over a 3 year period. If we don't get promoted and need to sell a player(s) to bring us into line, then it makes far more sense to do it next July, rather than January when we're odds-on for a top 2 finish at the half way stage.

I stand corrected on B'muff.

I agree re player sales, all I meant was TB has said it's foolish to say no one is for sale and that IF we were at all worried about FFP then for me selling Solly on the up to Southampton who might be prepared to cash in their Van Dijk chips might not be such a bad ploy considering this squad with or without him (as it was most of last season) is stronger than the one we had all of last season thanks to the use of the January additions all season and so far less injuries and those injured coming back for the new year.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quick follow-up...

"Bournemouth were handed a £7.6m fine for breaching Financial Fair Play rules after accruing huge losses last season en route to Premier League promotion.

The Football League did not confirm the size of the penalty, but details of the fine - which has not yet been paid - were disclosed in the club's accounts, which show they made a £38.3m loss in winning the Championship in 2014-15."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36189779

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Anyone know whether Lewes have a sell on fee for Solly?

I'm pretty sure Albion didn't have to pay a fee for Solly as he couldn't be put under contract by Lewes as he was still in full-time education with Bede's at the time of his signing by Albion.

This would seem to be confirmed by postings on the Lewes message board at the time of his signing:-

Posted Nov 22 2011 -
Says in the argus that we are not entitled to a fee but that lewes may play Brighton in a money spinning friendly.

Posted Nov 23 2011 -
Solly and Bayan have scholarships with St Bedes School, with Solly representing England Independent Schools which has already been shown on this web site

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quick follow-up...

"Bournemouth were handed a £7.6m fine for breaching Financial Fair Play rules after accruing huge losses last season en route to Premier League promotion.

The Football League did not confirm the size of the penalty, but details of the fine - which has not yet been paid - were disclosed in the club's accounts, which show they made a £38.3m loss in winning the Championship in 2014-15."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36189779

This says it was paid, although how accurate that is, who knows?

The Cherries accounts, which have been analysed by insidermedia.com have revealed that the Cherries paid a fine of £7.6million for breaking FFP.

The accounts also revealed that alterations to Dean Court to comply with Premier League regulations cost the club £4.6million.

http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=445117

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Solly said in a recent match programme all he needs is to get match fit and get his confidence back - saturdays cameo would surely have boosted his confidence no end so he just needs to get fit - he won't do so keep coming on as sub - he needs to start - even if it's for 60mins or so the first time - a fully fit and confident solly is premiership class and he won't get either sitting down!

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Solly said in a recent match programme all he needs is to get match fit and get his confidence back - saturdays cameo would surely have boosted his confidence no end so he just needs to get fit - he won't do so keep coming on as sub - he needs to start - even if it's for 60mins or so the first time - a fully fit and confident solly is premiership class and he won't get either sitting down!

Couldn't agree more. He needs game time from the start not just thrown on for 20-30 mins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here