Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also still in crocksville. I've done a couple of walk/jog things over the past couple of days but my knee is still stiff/sore/bad.

I'm genuinely quite bitter about seeing other people out running, as well as the various running folk I follow on Instagram posting their oh-so-happy runs. Utter *******s.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Also still in crocksville. I've done a couple of walk/jog things over the past couple of days but my knee is still stiff/sore/bad.

I'm genuinely quite bitter about seeing other people out running, as well as the various running folk I follow on Instagram posting their oh-so-happy runs. Utter *******s.

I would write a longer reply but I am just off for a run ;-)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've joined the crocked list.

Felt my hamstring tightening up during today's Parkrun, so ended up trotting to the finish quite gently.

I gave it a once over with the foam roller, which wasn't hideously painful, so hopefully a hot bath and a week off running will sort it out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've joined the crocked list.

Felt my hamstring tightening up during today's Parkrun, so ended up trotting to the finish quite gently.

I gave it a once over with the foam roller, which wasn't hideously painful, so hopefully a hot bath and a week off running will sort it out.

Welcome aboard! Wise move to trot to finish. Gentle easing into hamstring stretches may be beneficial.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Blimey the NSC running club is falling to pieces. Can't be many out there running injury free.

I've had tight hamstrings for 4 months now so I've got to the stage now where I'm going to have to just deal with it and run through the pain.

10 miles today my longest run since the marathon in April. Nowhere near my best pace but good prep for a Bright 10 in 2 weeks would be pleased with sub 1:10 but will probably be closer to 1:11 based on current form and injuries.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
An update from me back from the Pyrenees. Rheumatism flare up has spread to neck and whole of foot. Some days ok others sheer hell. Unable to do any driving back home. Seeing GP this morning as my daily 2,400mg of ibuprofen can't continue.
Only chance of doing 1066 Way will be as a walk if this has gone by then.
May drop in to watch Hove Parkrun tomorrow after the Waitrose shop and may catch up with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION]?
Noticed some good times at Barnes Green. Keep running boys.

Sorry to read that. Hope things improve soon.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Good 8 miles this morning which will be the start of a steady increase in my mileage. Any oone doing the Mouth to Mouth marathon in December?

Yes, I am going to do this one. Basically chose it because I want to get a trail marathon in before the end of the year and have heard good things about sussex trail events. I don't know much about the route though, is it likely to be a particularly tough one?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good 8 miles this morning which will be the start of a steady increase in my mileage. Any oone doing the Mouth to Mouth marathon in December?

I presume Adur and Arun.

Yes, I am going to do this one. Basically chose it because I want to get a trail marathon in before the end of the year and have heard good things about sussex trail events. I don't know much about the route though, is it likely to be a particularly tough one?

Always good to do the first run of an event. Looks a good one. Dazzer and the Scarlet Pimpernel should let you know what to expect on toughness.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
First-time post in this thread - hello!

I've taken up power walking / jogging in the past few months as a means of getting my fitness back after a football-induced cruciate injury that left me unable to play for nearly a year.

I've never been much of a long distance runner and over the past 5-6 years I've only been playing 5-a-side which of course you'll all know is about short bursts of energy rather than a sustained workout.

I'm very fortunate to leave literally a minutes walk away from some fantastic countryside with various cross country and village trails to enjoy so there's no excuse to not get out and enjoy it.

Slowly getting round to my reason for posting :) .... I'm currently alternating each weekend between an energetic 1.5 to 2 hour power walk and a 20 minute jog - I enjoy the walking far more and it still gets my heart pumping and the sweat flowing (but could go a lot further if time allowed) whereas the jog leaves me about to keel over and pushes my body much harder, although my muscles ache more after the longer walk.

Would you bunch of seasoned athletes ( :wink: ) recommend sticking with this mix or focus on one discipline with the aim of purely building fitness? My knee is currently coping with both so that's not really a factor.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I've taken up power walking / jogging in the past few months as a means of getting my fitness back after a football-induced cruciate injury that left me unable to play for nearly a year.

I've never been much of a long distance runner and over the past 5-6 years I've only been playing 5-a-side which of course you'll all know is about short bursts of energy rather than a sustained workout.

I'm very fortunate to leave literally a minutes walk away from some fantastic countryside with various cross country and village trails to enjoy so there's no excuse to not get out and enjoy it.

Slowly getting round to my reason for posting :) .... I'm currently alternating each weekend between an energetic 1.5 to 2 hour power walk and a 20 minute jog - I enjoy the walking far more and it still gets my heart pumping and the sweat flowing (but could go a lot further if time allowed) whereas the jog leaves me about to keel over and pushes my body much harder, although my muscles ache more after the longer walk.

Would you bunch of seasoned athletes ( :wink: ) recommend sticking with this mix or focus on one discipline with the aim of purely building fitness? My knee is currently coping with both so that's not really a factor.

Good question. Not sure of the answer. It depends on what you want to achieve. Both are above normal levels of fitness. Keep on as you are mixing it up. I'm still surprised (but very happy) how my non running wife stays with me on an 8 hour walk.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Sussex Trail Events organise great races - very low key and friendly. They've got their Downslink race on today if you wanted to go and have a look......38 miles following the full trail from Guildford to Shoreham.

Not sure if they've finalised the M2M route yet, but it's either Littlehampton to Shoreham or the other way round. Either way, it'll be a few miles of flat but probably muddy riverbank, up to and along the SDW (some big lumpy hills) and then another flat (muddy) riverbank section - think the three bits are more or less equal in length (ie 8-9 miles each). Difficulty will depend on the weather a bit - if it's dry underfoot it won't be too bad, if it's very wet parts of it could be hard work ! Kithurst and Chanctonbury hills will slow you down a bit too - definitely worth doing a few training runs on the course - specificity of training and being familiar with the terrain always helps.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Whilst painfully cycling along Hove Prom I'm sure I spotted a rare coastal visit of [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] comfortably motoring past The View (or Babylon Cafe or West End Cafe depending on age).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Slowly getting round to my reason for posting :) .... I'm currently alternating each weekend between an energetic 1.5 to 2 hour power walk and a 20 minute jog - I enjoy the walking far more and it still gets my heart pumping and the sweat flowing (but could go a lot further if time allowed) whereas the jog leaves me about to keel over and pushes my body much harder, although my muscles ache more after the longer w

As you enjoy the walking weekend I see no point giving this up. So if fitness is your aim maybe push the running more? A 20 minute jog is a good starting point to push on from. If you're jogging just once a week at the weekend I would suggest getting out during the week as well. If you're trying to build fitness I'd suggest running at least three times a week. Park Runs are recommended and good to add to the mix.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

You sound like longer-distance trail running would suit you down to the ground. Intermittent jogging and hiking (majority of trail runners hike any major uphills, including during races). As others have said, depends on your objectives really. The running will strengthen/increase your aerobic capacity compared with walking. Rather than alternating the two, combine them sometimes perhaps ? Couple of hours on the trails with a mix of both would be great - that's basically what loads of my longer training runs consist of anyway.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ran The Sussex Marathon today. My local race which almost goes past my house. I managed to avoid the temptation to dive in and put my feet up and came in at 3:48 and 6th place??!! Couldn't have been many running, hopefully got into double figures at least but I'll take it. I was wary of doing this as so close to 1066 but I think I've got away with it as feel ok. Tomorrow will be the test.
Strava is messing me about again. Seem to be having upload issues all the time at the moment.

Edit. 38 runners in total. Won't be going pro after all

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ran The Sussex Marathon today. My local race which almost goes past my house. I managed to avoid the temptation to dive in and put my feet up and came in at 3:48 and 6th place??!! Couldn't have been many running, hopefully got into double figures at least but I'll take it. I was wary of doing this as so close to 1066 but I think I've got away with it as feel ok. Tomorrow will be the test.
Strava is messing me about again. Seem to be having upload issues all the time at the moment.

Edit. 38 runners in total. Won't be going pro after all

Excellent time.......that's a hilly course....?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here